Author Topic: Strava Routebuilder  (Read 1551 times)

Strava Routebuilder
« on: 11 October, 2013, 02:25:21 pm »
Not sure if this is a GPS or Audax topic but more likely GPS.

Strava http://www.strava.com/ has released a route building feature. The usual clicking of waypoints and export options that you might expect, with elevation info, upload direct to device, tcx and gpx etc.

The interesting bit is that it can perform the routing based on the popularity of the road with cyclists. i.e. based on how many people have uploaded a track that contains the road.

Not that useful for local roads but could be very handy for routes you don't know that well (like on a DIY by GPS audax) - I've only played with it for a bit but the interface is ok and it seems to work well for the roads in my area. I don't really use strava for uploading info but could use it just for this tool.

Worth a look but you'll need a login  :(

Re: Strava Routebuilder
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2013, 05:51:27 pm »
Not sure if this is a GPS or Audax topic but more likely GPS.

Strava http://www.strava.com/ has released a route building feature. The usual clicking of waypoints and export options that you might expect, with elevation info, upload direct to device, tcx and gpx etc.

The interesting bit is that it can perform the routing based on the popularity of the road with cyclists. i.e. based on how many people have uploaded a track that contains the road.

Not that useful for local roads but could be very handy for routes you don't know that well (like on a DIY by GPS audax) - I've only played with it for a bit but the interface is ok and it seems to work well for the roads in my area. I don't really use strava for uploading info but could use it just for this tool.

Worth a look but you'll need a login  :(

I've had a look, and agree that the 'popularity' function may be useful for unfamiliar road.  I find the mapping they use lacking in detail; OSM cycle is much better - be good if they had this as a selectable.  The manual mode is useful, if one already knows the bits of off road/ cycle path to incorporate to avoid sections of busy road.  The export options 'seem' to be Garmin Edge specific, but I was able to upload an exported route into Bikehike anyway.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Richard Fairhurst

• on the trail of the little blue stickers
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2013, 07:27:49 pm »
A couple of Strava guys were at the OpenStreetMap-US conference earlier this year, so I wouldn't be amazed if something OSM-based makes it in...
cycle.travel - maps and route-planner

deadhead1971

• http://www.scarletfire.co.uk
    • ScarletFire
« Reply #3 on: 17 October, 2013, 12:19:57 pm »
looks quite good, it might even give www.ridewithgps.com a run for its money.

I was intrigued by the option to select a minimal elevation (flattest route possible) but disappointed that you can't do the opposite!
Alan
www.scarletfire.co.uk
(lots of cycling geekery: Garmin/mapping/strava etc)