Author Topic: Suitability of etrex legend for audax?  (Read 5959 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: Suitability of etrex legend for audax?
« Reply #50 on: 11 February, 2014, 05:05:06 pm »
I've used a single layer of gaffer tape in the channel on the mount, rather than multiple layers of electrical tape.  I don't think it matters which side you apply the tape to, but the advantage of doing it on the mount is that: a) the tape is protected by the channel  and  b) you've not got a thing with sticky tape on it in your hand/pocket when the eTrex is removed from the bike.
I also prefer to put the tape in the channel in the mount.
Another advantage is it means you can unscrew the mount when you want (using a penny). eg if using it handheld, instead of on a bike.
Though if you have multiple mounts on different bikes, you have to put the same thickness of tape in each.

« Reply #51 on: 11 February, 2014, 05:21:59 pm »
I swear by the RAM mount, having previously sworn at the Garmin mount..

The RAM fits well on the stem too, which is the perfect place for a GPS.

« Reply #52 on: 24 February, 2014, 01:39:07 pm »
Just wanted to say a massive thanks to all the contributors to this thread.  I completed the Radway 150 yesterday using the etrex legend for navigation with the 'points on junctions' route method and it was just the ticket.  Couldn't have been happier with the solution!

Only thing I would change is in the track recording, the points were a bit far spaced and so my ride appeared to be 1 mile shorter than my friend who I rode with.  That mile is all important when it comes to strava!  I have now set the track recording interval to 'more often' which should help alleviate that.

Anyway, I really wouldn't have come up with the 'right' solution without the amazing contributions to this thread, and so just wanted to pass on my gratitude to all.

Cheers!
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #53 on: 24 February, 2014, 02:17:58 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #54 on: 24 February, 2014, 04:22:23 pm »
Yes 'More' gives a significant increase - about 50% more points on my colour Etrex - but 'Most' doesn't seem to advance much on this, maybe a further 10% that's all.

For longer events make sure in the Settings that your GPS is set to record as many points as it can hold - on some models they shipped with a lower setting for some obscure reason.  On my GPS that is, completely illogically, under 'Map Setup'.

And for Strava I'm pretty sure you'll have to use the recorded 'Active Log' and not any tracklog you may have saved out, because (again going by my colour Etrex) any saved tracks have the timestamps stripped out.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #55 on: 24 February, 2014, 04:57:16 pm »
Thanks for that tip, track points were set to 3000, now set to 10000!  That is indeed an obscure location to hide them.

I hadn't actually noticed the 'most' setting.  I've now set it to that as I only do day rides so may as well get as much detail as possible.

My workflow for strava uploading is cumbersome to say the least, but it does work:
* Download tracks in easygps.
* Delete any unwanted tracks so that I only have the 'active log' track
* Save as new file
* Open file in text editor and make sure that it really is only the active track that is contained within.
* Upload to strava

Cumbersome, but does at least work.
Up the hills and round the bends

« Reply #56 on: 24 February, 2014, 04:57:56 pm »
Ditto, never knew that...