Author Topic: TdeF 2017  (Read 95536 times)

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
Re: TdeF 2017
« Reply #400 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:29:41 pm »
Meanwhile N Bouhanni has been given a minute time penalty and a 200 CHF fine for apparently throwing a punch  :o

I saw he'd got that penalty as well. 

Sometimes cycling doesn't make sense. Why does Bouhanni get a 200 CHF (~£160) fine and a meaningless 1 minute penalty on GC for throwing a punch, whereas Sagan got kicked off the tour de france for a crash that, IMO, wasn't his fault? ???
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #401 on: 11 July, 2017, 09:46:16 pm »
......... whereas Sagan got kicked off the tour de france for a crash that, IMO, wasn't his fault? ???

Those that make the decisions considered Sagan was at fault and disagree with you on that one.

....... Why does Bouhanni get a 200 CHF (~£160) fine and a meaningless 1 minute penalty on GC for throwing a punch, .....

I can only assume those who make the decisions considered the severity of his actions and deemed a fine and time penalty was appropriate.

...... Sometimes cycling doesn't make sense.  .....

Ah, the joys of the justice system, only this time as applied to events in a cycle race!

« Reply #402 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:07:55 pm »
Caley Fretz for VeloNews has a nice critique of the waiting that has infested cycling, here. I agree with essentially all of it.

I don't, Christophe may have had the lead on the road, but he never led the GC. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1913_Tour_de_France#Stage_winners

The organisation has always fiddled with the rules to encourage more dramatic racing.

Although cyclists had started in teams previously, the rules had forbidden them to work together against other cyclists. In 1913, this changed, and cyclists from the same team were allowed to work together. The organizers preferred riders to ride solo, so they added a rule that if a cyclist would win a stage with a margin of 20 minutes or more, he would not only get his own prize money, but also the half of all the other cyclists' prize money of that stage.

The riders have responded with collective 'traditions' to get round.

« Reply #403 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:12:46 pm »
<snipped>
....... Why does Bouhanni get a 200 CHF (~£160) fine and a meaningless 1 minute penalty on GC for throwing a punch, .....

I can only assume those who make the decisions considered the severity of his actions and deemed a fine and time penalty was appropriate.

<snipped>

I think you meant to say "I can only assume those who make the decisions considered his nationality and deemed a fine and time penalty was appropriate."  :demon:
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #404 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:31:19 pm »
Elbow - very bad.
Fist - bad.
Shoulder - OK.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #405 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:34:23 pm »
Stage 10: Périgueux->Bergerac
M Rendall:Guten dio mihi tel koyaanikumquat! Reglorumque Arooooooo tischbein blong mŷn unaussprechlichen Külten! Quetzalcoatl og pingu? U bis de juge Robson Green!

What did he say?

« Reply #406 on: 11 July, 2017, 11:10:00 pm »
I think you meant to say "I can only assume those who make the decisions considered his nationality and deemed a fine and time penalty was appropriate."  :demon:

Not really as I believe the Chief Judge is Belgium and I doubt whether Bouhanni's nationality was a factor, unless you are suggesting they were being racist toward Sagan.

Also, if they were being unduly influenced by nationality, surely they would have conjured a get around to allow the 4 members of FDJ (and indeed other riders) to be reinstated, particularly as FDJ are a French team and the French National Champion was eliminated (albeit 2 of the FDJ chaps were not French).

I think you could be venturing into conspiracy theory regarding the actions of the race jury.

« Reply #407 on: 12 July, 2017, 12:43:44 pm »
"The guys that pull the most faces, you know, they're not the ones doing the most work.. " Cavendish

How true in life.
Move Faster and Bake Things

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #408 on: 12 July, 2017, 12:50:20 pm »
"The guys that pull the most faces, you know, they're not the ones doing the most work.. " Cavendish

;D

I've always thought Wee Tommy V was a bit of a show pony.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Samuel D

« Reply #409 on: 12 July, 2017, 12:54:32 pm »
Nah, Voeckler did loads of [mostly futile] work in his innumerable breakaways. Not to mention hanging off the back of the peloton, just out of reach of the slipstream proper. What’s up with that?

Any hope of echelons today?

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #410 on: 12 July, 2017, 01:21:35 pm »
*** just1 just said "big diesel engine". I may have to kill him utterly to DETH.

1: FSVO "just" - still catching up on recordin
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

citoyen

« Reply #411 on: 12 July, 2017, 01:33:42 pm »
Nah, Voeckler did loads of [mostly futile] work in his innumerable breakaways. Not to mention hanging off the back of the peloton, just out of reach of the slipstream proper. What’s up with that?

He had the potential to be a much more successful rider but always seemed more interested in gurning for the camera. Being a genuine GC contender is a lot harder work than fannying about and going for occasional stage wins.

I've always been more of a fan of Sylvain Chavanel. This year is his 17th consecutive appearance at the Tour de France.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #412 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:07:50 pm »
Jaja talking about the boringitude of Les Landes putting the peloton to sleep. They're not alone.

Now talking about mushrooms.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #413 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:18:08 pm »
God.  This is dull.
I don't normally watch tennis,  but ........
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #414 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:25:11 pm »
I've always been more of a fan of Sylvain Chavanel. This year is his 17th consecutive appearance at the Tour de France.

Up to a point, Lord Copper. 17th start, but not consecutive.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #415 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:29:46 pm »
Armagnac now.

Oh, oh, wait... a puncture. Wow.

citoyen

« Reply #416 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:37:08 pm »
Up to a point, Lord Copper. 17th start, but not consecutive.

AFAIK, he's started every year since 2001. Couple of DNFs though - 2007 and 2012 - so only 14 finishes to date. If he makes it to Paris this year, that will put him level with Stuart O'Grady on 15/17.

Joop Zoetemelk scored 16/16. And actually won the damn thing.

citoyen

« Reply #417 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:38:40 pm »
Looks like some of the riders are bored too, and have decided to fall off to make things more interesting.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #418 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:39:58 pm »
(Checks figures)

You are right, Sir. My apologies.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #419 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:40:39 pm »
Beware the swinging nosebag.

Correction: not a nosebag, somebody rode over a bidet.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #420 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:47:09 pm »
God.  This is dull.
I don't normally watch tennis,  but ........

Seems Mr Hoy thinks likewise.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

citoyen

« Reply #421 on: 12 July, 2017, 02:56:06 pm »
Correction: not a nosebag, somebody rode over a bidet.

Now that would be worth watching!  ;D

« Reply #422 on: 12 July, 2017, 03:07:05 pm »
A bidet?

We await coverage later from Pandemonium Productions of the bidet incident.
It could be a washout though.

« Reply #423 on: 12 July, 2017, 03:13:21 pm »
Well, this stage has been a load of arse... or was that the numerology segment we were just subjected to in an attempt to pass the time?
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #424 on: 12 July, 2017, 03:14:04 pm »
Saw an article which mentioned that over the course of the Tour some 35,000 of the things get hurled into the ditch.

Speaking of which, I carefully kept our dogs in just now during a heavy shower. When I let them out, one of them promptly went and lay down with his arse in a puddle.