Author Topic: TdeF 2017  (Read 95832 times)

Re: TdeF 2017
« Reply #725 on: 23 July, 2017, 10:59:55 am »
Why start a race at 5 pm in Paris! I got a train to catch!!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #726 on: 23 July, 2017, 11:31:55 am »
They don't. In Paris it starts at 4 pm. ;D
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #727 on: 23 July, 2017, 12:09:24 pm »
And I think what is really impressive is that Team Sky have held the Team classification from start to finish, which just shows how strong a team they were overall. much more money they have compared with other teams.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #728 on: 23 July, 2017, 12:11:27 pm »
They don't. In Paris it starts at 4 pm. ;D

I am in Paris right now and the schedule is that it'll be on champs Elysees at 5.15pm ::demon !! I'll catch them once and dash to Gare du Nord!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #729 on: 23 July, 2017, 01:34:30 pm »
No time bonuses at intermediate sprints this year so Landa would have to be in the top three at the end. Can't see it with the likes of Greipel, Matthews, Bouhanni, Degenkolb and probably nine or a dozen others all going for the stage.

I didn't realise there were no time bonuses at the intermediate sprint, so I agree, the podium looks set as it is.
I'm fairly sure that they had them for a period sometime this century, and there was a possible podium place hinging on them one year. Of course the sprinter types grabbed them anyway, but that situation may be what led to scrapping them.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #730 on: 23 July, 2017, 01:58:42 pm »
I'm fairly sure that they had them for a period sometime this century, and there was a possible podium place hinging on them one year. Of course the sprinter types grabbed them anyway, but that situation may be what led to scrapping them.

You might be thinking of 2005, when Vinokourov escaped in the final kilometre to win the stage. The time gap plus bonus seconds saw him jump from 5th to 4th place in GC, ahead of Leipheimer.

And then everyone was disqualified for being dirty cheating nobbers anyway.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #731 on: 23 July, 2017, 02:05:15 pm »
... so it didn't happen!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #732 on: 23 July, 2017, 04:16:05 pm »
Beer ? ?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #733 on: 23 July, 2017, 04:18:56 pm »
Sky team car already has "Tour de France 2017" painted on the door (just above the sill). Tut. Still got 94 km to go.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #734 on: 23 July, 2017, 04:22:13 pm »
Sky team car already has "Tour de France 2017" painted on the door (just above the sill). Tut. Still got 94 km to go.
"Best Team Winners ... "
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #735 on: 23 July, 2017, 04:42:23 pm »
Hmm....

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #736 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:15:55 pm »
Why does everyone assume that the podium positions have already been decided when there's still a stage to go?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #737 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:24:30 pm »
Convention.  I suppose Landa could still try to get his 750 msec deficit back but it would be terribly bad form.

Never much liked watching the bit down from l'Etoile to Concorde. Pedalling in the gutter with the pedals half an inch off the kerb is hair-raising.

A few spots of rain...  Jaja remarks that if it rains the commissaires could freeze all the times at the next time they go over the line.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #738 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:26:52 pm »
Goodbye Little Thomas V, I'll miss you.

Oh rain in Paris, all I will say about that ... ouch!
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #739 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:30:22 pm »
Convention....

So if there's a crash and Froome is taken out and can't continue, he will still be declared the winner?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #740 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:31:42 pm »
Why does everyone assume that the podium positions have already been decided when there's still a stage to go?

The 'Tour de France' has two meanings. It's a bike race, but it's also a reference to the circuit of France made by journeymen artisans on their way to becoming masters. Completing the 'Tour de France' confirms your status. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compagnons_du_Tour_de_France

The final stage is more of a graduation ceremony, and the racing is restricted to the circuits of the Champs Elysee, so as not to risk accidents which would prevent a completion.

This year's Tour has been trying to emphasise the artisan products of regional natural parks. To read the Tour as simply a bike race is facile, but we live in facile times.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #741 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:32:49 pm »
That depends on the call from the organisers. They might call time on the first crossing of the line becasue of the rain. Because we will have crashes today.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #742 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:42:51 pm »
Goodbye Little Thomas V, I'll miss you.

There was a suggestion that he might be accorded the honour of crossing the line first when the peloton entered the Champs, but it didn't happen.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #743 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:43:43 pm »
Convention....

So if there's a crash and Froome is taken out and can't continue, he will still be declared the winner?
Nope. He has to finish the final stage within the time limit. Same for all the jerseys- even though there are no climbs at all on the stage, Barguil has to finish to win KOM, and Matthews must finish to win green. The last time the final stage was actually competitive (1989 time trial) it cost Laurent Fignon the win, so I doubt the organisers ever wish to repeat that...

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #744 on: 23 July, 2017, 05:54:09 pm »
Non-competitive now for the GC, but the green jersey could change hands on the Champs.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #745 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:03:14 pm »
What are the odds on De Gendt going for a long one just to rub ASO's nose in it over the Prix de Combativité :demon:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #746 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:05:21 pm »
Trivium re the statue of Joan of Arc: the woman who posed for it died in 1937, burnt alive when her apartment caught fire.

What are the odds on De Gendt going for a long one just to rub ASO's nose in it over the Prix de Combativité :demon:

WB's already been given the global Combativity doodah.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #747 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:25:04 pm »
Somebody please tell *** and SDM that the plural is Tours de France not Tour de Frances.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #748 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:28:06 pm »
Well done chaps see you in Spain soon. ITV live please hint hint nudge nudge.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #749 on: 23 July, 2017, 06:37:29 pm »

WB's already been given the global Combativity doodah.

Quite. And everyone apart from Bethany (7) thinks it's a total chiz. Well, Super D Millar does anyway.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime