Author Topic: TdeF 2017  (Read 95840 times)

Re: TdeF 2017
« Reply #800 on: 24 July, 2017, 09:15:20 pm »

I think I read that a large chunk of their wage budget is taken up with Nacer Bouhanni's wages, and they know they'll usually get a Tour de France wildcard, so it's a bit of a gamble on him being any good in July.

Not just 'being any good' but also 'being good' and not punching fellow hotel guests.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #801 on: 24 July, 2017, 11:19:22 pm »
Irrespective of where J Corbyn, J Clarkson, gammon-faced pig-botherer D Cameron or C Froome actually went to school, I don't suppose any of them actually had any say in the matter.  No-one asked me before I was packed off to serve a ten-stretch at st custards :'(
... and probably no say in their country of birth/upbringing,  either.

I'd happily  punch two of the above in the schnozz - and I'm no fan of Froome - but that's nowt to do with wot school they wuz dragged to.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #802 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:53:21 am »
Bereft.  :'(
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Samuel D

« Reply #803 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:34:26 am »
Bring on the classics.

« Reply #804 on: 25 July, 2017, 11:04:21 am »
Don't forget the best grand tour is coming up in August.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #805 on: 25 July, 2017, 11:09:57 am »
Yes it is. Must look into getting a cable feed or finding it streamed on-line somewhere. While the Inlaw Paw was alive we couldn't watch French TV ("jabbering") and neglected our antennae etc. Doesn't seem worth it for a few weeks/year, though.

cameronp

• upside down
« Reply #806 on: 25 July, 2017, 12:22:49 pm »
Not quite a grand tour, but I'll be dot-watching the TCR from this Friday.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #807 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:17:21 pm »
Good news: According to The Comic C Froome has been confirmed to ride the Vuelta.

Bad news: P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® are unable to cover it, partly because ITV4 are only showing highlights, but mostly because I'm going to be in Abroad, where the FOREIGNS come from, for the second half.  And not in Spaign-o either.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #808 on: 25 July, 2017, 06:59:44 pm »
S'alright. As far as the Grand Tours go, La Veulta is a bit of a fish and chips chicken in a basquet race anyway. :demon:

I blame the English translation of Asterix in Spain for that joak.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #809 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:12:49 pm »
Bad news: P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® are unable to cover it...
*sulks*
That's two years in a _row_. S'not good enough.
*Goes off in a right stop.*
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #810 on: 25 July, 2017, 08:19:54 pm »
Tell the organisators to re-schedule it, then.  Bloody idiots ought to know I'm always away in early September  :smug:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Chris S

« Reply #811 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:20:19 pm »

There's 1500 dots to watch between London and Edinburgh (and back) next week.

Or you could watch our Facebook feed from Semaine Federale in Mortange au Perche :). There will be Beer, Chips, line dancing and Tents. Oh, and galvanised steel showers.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #812 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:23:47 pm »
Somebody want to hold Veloman's pint?   ;D

:D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #813 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:24:44 pm »
....... Semaine Federale in Mortange au Perche :). There will be Beer, Chips, line dancing and Tents. Oh, and galvanised steel showers.

Oh, I bet that will hurt!  No nice water to shower under!  (Tee hee hee!) (Jealous really and you will both have a fab time I'm sure)

« Reply #814 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:25:35 pm »

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #815 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:28:35 pm »

Veloman is tea total!

You mean you don't have a pint mug?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #816 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:39:25 pm »

Veloman is tea total!

You mean you don't have a pint mug?

Pint mug?

My dear chap, we have glasses or china for drinking from.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #817 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:45:27 pm »

Now there's a thought. Can someone put Mr Larrington on the back of ESL's moto for live  P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® coverage.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #818 on: 26 July, 2017, 01:22:12 am »
Would love to see/read P@nd3m1c Pr0duckt10nzTM® reports on Battle Mountain in a similar stylee.

With the BRITONS' tea . . . And, perhaps, the odd nectarine or guava thrown in for good measure.  ;)
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #819 on: 26 July, 2017, 08:33:48 am »

Right enough.

Or you could watch our Facebook feed from Semaine Federale in Mortagne au Perche :). There will be Beer, Chips, line dancing and Tents. Oh, and galvanised steel showers.

With an opening speech by M. le Maire?  I might toddle over for that.  <rant>Not for Lamouller's dame de paille, though, or any of the other rats on the Comité Directeur.  In 2016 our local CoDep organized Toutes à Strasbourg, a concentration for women from all over. Something like 6000 turned up, many of them riding significant distances to get here.  The amount of work involved was vast.  It went off well, but my main cycling chum, El Presidente, who had pushed the thing through and done most of the work, had a fall when he was piloting a bunch of participants out of Brussels and spent the whole time in hospital.  In return, the Fédé sent someone down to shake political hands in Strasbourg, the covering article in the Fédé's mag totally ignored El Prez and the CoDep, but Lamouller sent an official letter of congratulation to the prez of Randonneurs de Strasbourg, whose club did nothing to help and who personally, in his professional role on the city council, worked against the project.  The federal handshaker received the congrats of the Comité.

Oh, "totally ignored" isn't quite true. A ride across into Germany was planned with a section up through their cycle paths, but access was refused and plans had to be changed.  The article did say that the organizers had failed to obtain permission.

The Fédé can stuff it.  I'm still a member, but just for the insurance and (hopefully) the odd diagonale.

</rant>

« Reply #820 on: 26 July, 2017, 06:17:48 pm »

Right enough.

Or you could watch our Facebook feed from Semaine Federale in Mortagne au Perche :). There will be Beer, Chips, line dancing and Tents. Oh, and galvanised steel showers.

With an opening speech by M. le Maire?  I might toddle over for that.  <rant>Not for Lamouller's dame de paille, though, or any of the other rats on the Comité Directeur.  In 2016 our local CoDep organized Toutes à Strasbourg, a concentration for women from all over. Something like 6000 turned up, many of them riding significant distances to get here.  The amount of work involved was vast.  It went off well, but my main cycling chum, El Presidente, who had pushed the thing through and done most of the work, had a fall when he was piloting a bunch of participants out of Brussels and spent the whole time in hospital.  In return, the Fédé sent someone down to shake political hands in Strasbourg, the covering article in the Fédé's mag totally ignored El Prez and the CoDep, but Lamouller sent an official letter of congratulation to the prez of Randonneurs de Strasbourg, whose club did nothing to help and who personally, in his professional role on the city council, worked against the project.  The federal handshaker received the congrats of the Comité.

Oh, "totally ignored" isn't quite true. A ride across into Germany was planned with a section up through their cycle paths, but access was refused and plans had to be changed.  The article did say that the organizers had failed to obtain permission.

The Fédé can stuff it.  I'm still a member, but just for the insurance and (hopefully) the odd diagonale.

</rant>

That sounds about par for the Fédé these days. But don't ignore it please - get on your high horse and make noise. Sooner or later the current Fédé direction will be dying out and we will need new blood or the whole thing will die with them (although of course I still support the ex-clubmate who is Trésorier Fédéral, even if I don't entirely agree with him  :-\ )

« Reply #821 on: 27 July, 2017, 01:18:11 pm »
If you liked THAT photo - you can have it..... for £55

https://www.bandofclimbers.com/products/tour-de-france-2017-that-crash-print

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #822 on: 27 July, 2017, 02:08:57 pm »

Right enough.

</rant>

That sounds about par for the Fédé these days. But don't ignore it please - get on your high horse and make noise. Sooner or later the current Fédé direction will be dying out and we will need new blood or the whole thing will die with them (although of course I still support the ex-clubmate who is Trésorier Fédéral, even if I don't entirely agree with him  :-\ )

Oh, the noise was made, especially since the AG was in Colmar last year. We were going to get up a fronde to take Lamouller out of the presidency, but he must have heard rumblings - not necessarily ours - as he took himself out.  They also gave some kind of gong to El Prez.

As to new blood, I already did my 9 years on the CoDep and I've had it up to there - bletherskites, timeservers and little tin gods.

« Reply #823 on: 27 July, 2017, 02:31:17 pm »
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #824 on: 27 July, 2017, 03:03:31 pm »
Ah yes - I knew it reminded me of something.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles