Author Topic: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London  (Read 446 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« on: 11 March, 2024, 11:09:31 am »
There is a symposium organised by the British Pilgrimage Trust being held in London on 17th April. Although the majority of their website focuses on walking, I'm thinking of turning my travel into a 'cycling pilgrimage'. I'm interested in the speakers:
Tom Holland (author)
Phoebe Smith (adventurer)
Dr Rupert Sheldrake (biologist)
Galahad Clark (cobbler)
Ruby Reed (co-founder of Advaya)

I think a pilgrimage is different to a touring holiday, in the sense of the intention with which a person sets out. If I go on a touring holiday, or if I go on a cycling-pilgrimage, there may be no practical difference, but there is a difference in my heart and head. I'm going to have to resist the temptation to ask Galahad if he has "Cobblers to the King" above his front door.

Sharing in case this nudges your interest.
Details: clicky-here

O:-)

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Pilgrimage Symposium, 17/Apr/24, London
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2024, 11:25:42 am »
I'm a member of the British Pilgrimage Trust and have done a number of their pilgrimage walks.  They're not always suitable for cycles but can usually be easily adapted with a little tweaking of the routes.

I've devised two routes that I'm going (when I get the time) to walk/cycle and then submit for inclusion:

• The Eleanor Crosses (a cycle route from Lincoln to London visiting the 12 sites of the Eleanor Crosses)
  • The English Martyrs route from Cambridge to Oxford

I think you're right about there being a difference between a pilgrimage and a touring holiday.  A pilgrimage is as much about the internal journey as the route.  Often people think of pilgrimage purely in a religious context but many of those walking the pilgrimage routes (e.g. the Camino) are not particularly religious.
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2024, 12:19:43 pm »
I'm a member of the British Pilgrimage Trust and have done a number of their pilgrimage walks.  They're not always suitable for cycles but can usually be easily adapted with a little tweaking of the routes.

I've devised two routes that I'm going (when I get the time) to walk/cycle and then submit for inclusion:

• The Eleanor Crosses (a cycle route from Lincoln to London visiting the 12 sites of the Eleanor Crosses)
  • The English Martyrs route from Cambridge to Oxford

I think you're right about there being a difference between a pilgrimage and a touring holiday.  A pilgrimage is as much about the internal journey as the route.  Often people think of pilgrimage purely in a religious context but many of those walking the pilgrimage routes (e.g. the Camino) are not particularly religious.

I've been watching Frieren (anime) and there is a journey there which feel like an internal experience, and certainly not religious. Our elf-mage hero certainly doesn't believe in the "goddess" of the story. I totally agree that pilgrimage doesn't have to be religious. I'm excited by the speakers and topics of this symposium, and an opportunity to develop my own understanding of what I'm doing. I've had a few self designed cyclo-pilgrimages, and each has brought something to my internal journey. Tickets bought, and the Diocese of Leeds agree that I can extend this learning experience into an immersive and practical exercise by cycling there and back from Huddersfield. Yay!

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2024, 01:09:25 pm »
"Dr Rupert Sheldrake (Biologist)" Hmm.  Biologist is doing some heavy lifting there.  Yes, he's got a PhD in biochemistry but he's surely better known for "inventing" morphic resonance.

Anyway, any reason to go on a bike ride sounds good to me, so have fun. 
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2024, 01:13:40 pm »
"Dr Rupert Sheldrake (Biologist)" Hmm.  Biologist is doing some heavy lifting there.  Yes, he's got a PhD in biochemistry but he's surely better known for "inventing" morphic resonance.

Anyway, any reason to go on a bike ride sounds good to me, so have fun.

Lol

I sometimes refer to myself as a Chemist - but it would be stupid to leave me unattended in an analytical laboratory these days.

Yay for bike rides!

Regulator

« Reply #5 on: 11 March, 2024, 02:28:22 pm »
Galahad's an interesting character.  He's part of the Clark's Shoes dynasty and he's one of the co-founders of Vivobarefoot (I have a couple of pairs).

Green Party Councillor

Regulator

« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2024, 04:01:13 pm »
Looks as though the last stages of the via Francigena are on for this year (hopefully the end of May).  :thumbsup:

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2024, 08:11:46 pm »
Unfortunately I'm on shift so can't make it as looks just up my street.

« Reply #8 on: 17 March, 2024, 11:05:52 pm »
Looks interesting - tied up that evening though, so it's a shame it doesn't look as though it's being streamed or recorded

« Reply #9 on: 17 March, 2024, 11:09:43 pm »
Quote from: British Pilgrimage Trust
We are proud to announce a partnership with Vivobarefoot to launch the first fully-conductive Grounded Vivobarefoot shoe, named “The Pilgrim”. As well as being a Wide, Thin & Flexible barefoot design bringing you closer to the earth and natural movement, the Pilgrim shoe will provide further grounding by conducting your body’s electrons straight into the ground. Several health benefits are associated with grounding, such as stress reduction, anti-inflammatory, sleep improvement and gut health.

Feels to me as though there may be some elements of woo involved here.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 08:41:44 am »
"I like to wear my Vivobarefoot Grounded shoes when standing underneath a high voltage transmission line. I can feel the old, tired electrons streaming out of my body into the earth, where they're rejuvenated by the magnetic core, while the new, energised electrons from above pour into me."
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 10:22:00 am »
Huddersfield to London... I'm at the enjoyable stage of planning a route. Switching back and forth between RwGPS, BikeHike and Googlemaps, looking at popularity heatmaps, streetview and contours. I might provisionally book a couple of Travelodges  to give me some flexibility on my first night.