Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 337028 times)

Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #125 on: 04 July, 2018, 04:08:04 pm »
Living on the coast suckkkkks, you can only build one way.

Living in or on the edge of a big city sucks as it is a slog to get across it to get to other squares.

Both have their benefits (not connected to vv tile bagging) though.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #126 on: 04 July, 2018, 08:04:37 pm »
I have saved the kml of uncompleted tiles from Veloviewer, converted it to a gpx using kml2gpx.com, sucked it into http://www.gpxeditor.co.uk/ and set the map type to OS resulting in:

Thanks, this works brilliantly although I had to trim my converted gpx file down as the huge number of tracks (833) in my gpx file was causing gpxeditor to slow down horrendously on my browser.

I used it to plan another 60km ride to fill in a load of tiles South of me although VV doesn't quite extend the kml file as far as I would have liked, but I can cope:-

(Yes, I know about the missed tile in Caterham itself, fixed that since doing the screen grab.)

I purposely ended the ride with a trip along the top of Farthing Downs as I inadvertently drove this way last year coming back from a party and the views looked amazing.

(Yes, I also realise I'm going back and forth across the ridge. 1074m climbing in 61km. It'll help me get slimmer.)

Anyway, that's enough rides planned to keep me occupied for at least a month or so. Very easy to create plans, bit tougher to actually get out on the bike and ride them.

« Reply #127 on: 16 July, 2018, 11:35:09 am »
It was Dean what got me into it (and seeing fboab and Chris S post about it too).

I'm digging it, but only on 9x9! I can get 10x10 by going down a dead end or I can get something daft like 14x14 rather easily if I could get security clearance to get into the port. You can see my attempt to bag the square yesterday, but was stymied by a rather large man and an even larger fence.

Sunderland is hosting the Tall Ships race thing in a couple of weeks and they're opening up the Port as a fan zone or something. Bingo.  ;D

Got it.  ;D

Bumped into Socks from here while I was down there too. Alerted to his presence via a bright orange Moulton.

« Reply #128 on: 16 July, 2018, 11:40:36 am »
Anyone else checking tide tables for this? FML.

UPDATE - Super low tide so I went for a wade. Refreshing.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1706270128

« Reply #129 on: 16 July, 2018, 04:22:08 pm »
There's a single tile in the middle of Lac d'Annecy that's entirely water.

My guess is that it would a 1200m out and back swim from Sevrier public beach or maybe a bit shorter (800m or so) from a beach South of Veyrier-du-Lac on the Eastern side. Next time I'll go I'll take a swim buoy as I'll need to venture into the open water where there are ferries and other boats (luckily nothing too fast is allowed on the lake).

I'm not tile bagging in that area at all but it'd be fun to tick that one off.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #130 on: 01 August, 2018, 08:14:55 pm »
This is getting a bit silly - I've modified my routesheet for Saturday's Essex R&R to pick up a few new squares...
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #131 on: 02 August, 2018, 09:39:40 am »
This is getting a bit silly - I've modified my routesheet for Saturday's Essex R&R to pick up a few new squares...

Hahaha  -you are not the only one... I have 3 to tick off near Sudbury for a max square increase  :thumbsup:
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #132 on: 02 August, 2018, 10:30:33 am »
Had to go to Livingston Outlet store at the weekend and Ikea yesterday, which are possibly my two least favourite places in the world, but softened the blow by managing to get 3 new squares walking through the car parks.

Is anyone sadder than that?

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #133 on: 02 August, 2018, 11:35:44 am »
I think the ones where you have to go into an industrial estate cul-de-sac for half a mile then reverse are a bit more soul-destroying :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #134 on: 05 August, 2018, 06:11:10 pm »

Fnnngh. Just did a 61km ride to pick up a load of tiles thinking it would be a big boost in my max square. Alas I just went from a load of 11x11's that overlapped, to a trio of overlapping 12x12's...

Now to work out what tiles I need to get next time...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #135 on: 08 August, 2018, 11:39:39 pm »

Fnnngh. Just did a 61km ride to pick up a load of tiles thinking it would be a big boost in my max square. Alas I just went from a load of 11x11's that overlapped, to a trio of overlapping 12x12's...

J

Although I'm only just beginning to "get" this, I have discovered that you can download a kml file of missing explorer tiles and load them as a map overlay, in Orux Maps (for android).  This should make picking off missing tiles to grow your max square easier in real time navigation, assuming you're using your phone to navigate.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #136 on: 08 August, 2018, 11:44:02 pm »

J

Although I'm only just beginning to "get" this, I have discovered that you can download a kml file of missing explorer tiles and load them as a map overlay, in Orux Maps (for android).  This should make picking off missing tiles to grow your max square easier in real time navigation, assuming you're using your phone to navigate.

Yup. Tho I find the veloviewer chrome extension ballows me to over lay the grid on the Strava route planner. Much more useful.

What I meant tho was decide which batch of tiles to target next to increase my max square. I've about 5 clumps i could target. But not sure which to go for first.

J
--

« Reply #137 on: 09 August, 2018, 07:13:57 am »

J

I have a number of rides already loaded in my GPS marked as 'VV'. I can just take any of them when I fancy a ride depending on direction and amount of hills, knowing that they'll add to my veloviewer score.

Yup. Tho I find the veloviewer chrome extension ballows me to over lay the grid on the Strava route planner. Much more useful.

What I meant tho was decide which batch of tiles to target next to increase my max square. I've about 5 clumps i could target. But not sure which to go for first.

J

« Reply #138 on: 11 August, 2018, 05:13:31 pm »
Grabbed a couple of missing tiles by doing my own thing on the way back from the club run coffee stop.  One involved a fair amount of bridleway including a foot wide track through a field of oats.  Had to be careful that I didn't put my front wheel into one of the large cracks that were everywhere as a result of the recent hot dry weather.  The summer bike was less than ideal.  Max square now up to 24*24 and max cluster now 1200.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #139 on: 11 August, 2018, 09:55:47 pm »

Todays 200k BRM allowed me to pick up some tiles that were on my todo list. The result is rather than having 3x(12x12) overlapping squares, I now have one big 13x13. And I think this is where I am going to be stuck until I can either get a kayak, or brave swimming a lake.

J
--

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #140 on: 14 August, 2018, 08:50:31 am »
Went from 15x15 to 16x16 thanks to a long commute home yesterday  :thumbsup:
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #141 on: 14 August, 2018, 10:03:46 am »
I've been picking off clumps of squares adjacent to my max square which one day will be connected - it seems to be easier to use this approach at the moment as having to do a 100 to 150km round trip to get just one square is losing it's appeal (although it will boost my max square by 1) however, picking up 1 square that links another cluster and potentially a bigger jump is more rewarding  :thumbsup: .
Regards,

Joergen

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #142 on: 22 August, 2018, 10:57:12 pm »

Anyone got any experience of how this all works with activities that aren't a bike ride. I've logged a couple of Swims on Strava, but I can't see them in veloviewer. Do I need to do something special to make them show up?

Tomorrow I've booked a Kayak to see if I can bag the tile in the middle of a lake...

J
--

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #143 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:08:28 pm »
On the Veloviewer update page, click show options. Then you can tick the activity types you want to copy.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #144 on: 22 August, 2018, 11:11:51 pm »
On the Veloviewer update page, click show options. Then you can tick the activity types you want to copy.

Bingo! that did it.

I have a canoe/kayak booked. I have a map of the lake, with the points of the tile I want to bag drawn on, I have my gps programmed with the lat/long of the square boundaries. I have veloviewer helper app thingy. Now I just need to paddle 800m into the middle of a lake, and get back to shore, safely...

I'm not addicted to this game, honestly, I'm not...
J
--

« Reply #145 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:12:02 am »
I think the ones where you have to go into an industrial estate cul-de-sac for half a mile then reverse are a bit more soul-destroying :)

Don't know what you're talking about...

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #146 on: 23 August, 2018, 01:50:02 pm »
Got it!

Kayaking into a force 4 wind with occasional stronger gusts is interesting. 0.3-0.5m waves made my route not the one i was intending.

Now need to workout how to get back without having to padel across the wind.

This tile had been blocking any further expansion. I logged the kayak trip here. Then also logged a walk round the island, just to be double certain I had it.

J
--

« Reply #147 on: 23 August, 2018, 07:36:23 pm »
A lot of Dutch riders have their expansion limited by this tile.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #148 on: 23 August, 2018, 07:45:48 pm »
A lot of Dutch riders have their expansion limited by this tile.

I can see why.

My next headache is the northern most of these 2 tiles.

The bottom one has a road just clipping the corner, but the upper one has no roads, or paths. My options are either borrow a canoe/kayak (no where to hire nearby), or adventures in creative trespass... As I'm going to hit limits with the Ijmeer soon anyway, I'm starting to move my focus onto a square based southeast of Amsterdam.

But even here, there is one tile in Gooimeer that is 100% water, then as I get past Utrecht, there's the military bases. The 100% water tile I think I may be able to get with a swim from a friends boat, if I can persuade them with enough beer... Else I'll just have to buy a Kayak...

J
--

« Reply #149 on: 23 August, 2018, 10:58:51 pm »
The ultimate in Tilehunting in your part of the Netherlands would be towing a Kayak behind your bike, offloading it when you're at the shore, adding the wet tiles and hunt a few extra tiles while cycling back.