Author Topic: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square  (Read 337007 times)

fuaran

• rothair gasta
Re: VeloViewer Explorer Score and Max Square
« Reply #150 on: 23 August, 2018, 11:04:43 pm »
A packraft would be easier to carry on a bike. And you could carry the bike on the packraft.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #151 on: 23 August, 2018, 11:09:53 pm »
The ultimate in Tilehunting in your part of the Netherlands would be towing a Kayak behind your bike, offloading it when you're at the shore, adding the wet tiles and hunt a few extra tiles while cycling back.

I have a Brompton. I've been considering an Alli folding canoe, a carry freedom trailer, and basically what you suggest...

I also have my eye on an Oru kayak... But that's less practical for fitting the Brompton...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #152 on: 23 August, 2018, 11:10:27 pm »
A packraft would be easier to carry on a bike. And you could carry the bike on the packraft.

Paging Alistair Humpreys...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #153 on: 24 August, 2018, 06:58:53 am »
The Port of Tees has all rights here. The Gits. No unauthorised watercraft, and no access on foot or bike. The Gits.

« Reply #154 on: 24 August, 2018, 07:23:17 am »
Would a foot passenger on a ferry be considered within the spirit?  You could maybe get the bottom square before you were motorised?

« Reply #155 on: 24 August, 2018, 07:34:46 am »
That's no ferry - it's a freight route. Haven't been ferries from the Tees for a while. I can get the North side of the Tees - I'm waiting for the completion of the North Coast Path before I brave it, but the South side is out of bounds without some cunning trespass.

« Reply #156 on: 24 August, 2018, 07:46:32 am »
I've got that bottom right square ;D

It wasn't exactly cunning - I just rode past the security desk one Sunday and they must have been on their tea break.

« Reply #157 on: 24 August, 2018, 08:49:42 am »
It wasn't exactly cunning - I just rode past the security desk one Sunday and they must have been on their tea break.
I think that's the very definition of casual cunning. :D

« Reply #158 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:00:29 am »
Did you throw a stone at something noisy behind them first, as if in a cunning children's adventure story? 

« Reply #159 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:23:42 am »
Or you apply for work at the port.

Chris S

« Reply #160 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:40:41 am »
I wonder if you can hire submarines?

« Reply #161 on: 24 August, 2018, 09:54:05 am »
It needs to be pedal powered. GPS reception might be a problem.

« Reply #162 on: 24 August, 2018, 03:16:44 pm »

Or a paddleboard (of the inflatable type). Most pack down into a large rucksack so easily carried on a bike or in a trailer.

School holidays need to be over for me to get back out on the bike properly to continue tile bagging.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #163 on: 25 August, 2018, 08:39:01 pm »
I think that's the very definition of casual cunning. :D

The trick is to act like you belong.

(I wore my PBP jersey).

« Reply #164 on: 27 August, 2018, 01:50:52 pm »
Boom--max cluster has now moved to the NORTH

« Reply #165 on: 27 August, 2018, 10:24:13 pm »
Boom--max cluster has now moved to the NORTH

:thumbsup:

What will your score be when you link them up?

« Reply #166 on: 27 August, 2018, 10:33:51 pm »
I knocked off a few squares at my south west corner, including two absolute bastards where there was no way in except trudging across heather and peat bogs and through thick bracken, trying to find a path. And then back down. Lucky it's been a dry summer. And the views off Braithwaite Moor, down to the rippling landscape where the Cover and Yore roll down to meet, were awesome.

The square is still sat on 34x34, but there are three overlapping now. Just a few squares behind Hamsterley to get to push it up.

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #167 on: 08 September, 2018, 10:04:57 am »
My max square has been stuck on 29x29 for over a year, mainly due to (a) injury and (b) pushing my total explorer score beyond 33,000.

Yesterday I went out and bagged 20 tiles east and south of Andover, taking my max square to 30x30

I live near the eastern edge of the square. I suppose that show my preference for rides to the west. To increase my max square, I'll have to go north and/or south.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #168 on: 08 September, 2018, 11:10:49 am »
My most tricky tile so far is one which has a road running through it, but it's the A303 just after it joins/leaves to M3. It's motorway in all but name, and not a road I'd want to cycle on. But I noticed while perusing various online maps that in a neighbouring tile was Basingstoke Crematorium, of which the garden of remembrance had an extension which looked as if it might impinge on the troublesome tile at its westernmost point.

So, armed with a just-in-case cover story about a long-lost aunt last known in the Basingstoke area, I left my bike near the gate and, giving a wide berth to the mourning party assembling in the car park, wandered, Garmin in hand, to what I reckoned was the furthest point before retracing and riding home. Job done. 

« Reply #169 on: 08 September, 2018, 12:20:46 pm »
My max square has been stuck on 29x29 for over a year, mainly due to (a) injury and (b) pushing my total explorer score beyond 33,000.

Yesterday I went out and bagged 20 tiles east and south of Andover, taking my max square to 30x30

I live near the eastern edge of the square. I suppose that show my preference for rides to the west. To increase my max square, I'll have to go north and/or south.

Your total explorer score is way off scale so you're exused for have in a not too impressive square ;).

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #170 on: 08 September, 2018, 12:56:39 pm »
While it's mildly irksome that you don't get anything for riding through the many tunnels in northern Norway (especially the 7km Nordkapptunnel), tiles that far north are about half the width of those in UK, so if you travel E-W you can bag twice as many for riding the same distance.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #171 on: 08 September, 2018, 02:28:46 pm »
Ticked off some awkward squares around Dartford and Gravesend today which involved some comedy off-roading along the Thames Path. The conquest of Kent continues.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #172 on: 08 September, 2018, 10:03:05 pm »
While it's mildly irksome that you don't get anything for riding through the many tunnels in northern Norway (especially the 7km Nordkapptunnel), tiles that far north are about half the width of those in UK, so if you travel E-W you can bag twice as many for riding the same distance.

Have you tried clicking on the track and opening the route completely? That helped for a couple of tiles which weren't accepted near Veliko Novgorod.

« Reply #173 on: 11 September, 2018, 07:33:47 am »
This is a fun game.

While my max square is only 19x19 (soon to expand), I am something like 200th ish on the all time Explorer score (of 22,000,000). Thus, it strikes me that the vast majority of people on the service must just ride the same old loops from the door - not that there's anything wrong with that.

« Reply #174 on: 11 September, 2018, 08:36:23 am »
Salvatore, I see some red specks in the upper red corner, did you ride around Kem and the Solovki Islands?