Author Topic: Running shoes: how do you choose yours?  (Read 7433 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Running shoes: how do you choose yours?
« Reply #25 on: 20 February, 2021, 11:16:21 pm »
How realistic are those treadmills? Is actually running up and down the road outside the shop a better 'simulation'?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #26 on: 20 February, 2021, 11:29:34 pm »
If you're used to running on a treadmill, it should be pretty similar to your normal road running style. If you've never run on a treadmill before, you will probably be more worried about falling off, instead of running normally.
Running on the road outside could make the shoes dirty, so probably not allowed.

« Reply #27 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:24:41 am »
I don’t remember being worried about falling off.
I certainly got a longer steadier run than going up and down inside the shop. They also videoed me to see if my gait needed a certain sort of shoe. It didn’t.
A run outside would be nice, but then I’d be buying shoes that didn’t look new. Especially for trail running.

« Reply #28 on: 21 February, 2021, 09:31:00 am »
With EU size 48 I don't get much choice.  Having narrow feet doesn't help (A-width fitting).  There doesn't seem to be much demand for shoes to fit long narrow feet.  However, now my podiatrist makes recommendations, based on what will accommodate the damage done by 30 years or so of not-very well fitting shoes.  On the plus side, am back running again.

Cycling shoes are an equal nightmare.

Work shoes I gave up and had two pairs made to measure.

Addidas then?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #29 on: 24 February, 2021, 02:07:53 pm »
I've certainly seen people running up and down the road outside my nearest running shop. Which is conveniently on a hill, so you get to literally go up and down. I don't know if they have a treadmill but I know two others nearby do. It never occurred me to you might fall off! Presumably, as there are sides and it would be a bit silly to run off the front, you could only really fall off the back, in which case hopefully a member of staff would stop the machine (or else there's an emergency stop button!)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #30 on: 24 February, 2021, 08:06:20 pm »
I've certainly seen people running up and down the road outside my nearest running shop. Which is conveniently on a hill, so you get to literally go up and down. I don't know if they have a treadmill but I know two others nearby do. It never occurred me to you might fall off! Presumably, as there are sides and it would be a bit silly to run off the front, you could only really fall off the back, in which case hopefully a member of staff would stop the machine (or else there's an emergency stop button!)

Always hates treadmills, maybe because I associate them with VO2max testing, but running off the front was a real problem for me. At least patting the plastic edge with my toes as the physiologist wound up the incline

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #31 on: 24 February, 2021, 08:13:50 pm »
Useful and timely thread, just discovered holes in both my shoes! I'm new to this so clueless as to what to buy and how to buy. So the advice is really useful.

Last pair were from Decathlon but never fitted that well. I've noted what has been suggested so far, any other brands/models to go for for wide feet? Or any recommended online retailers who will allow me to select wider fittings? Looking for trail running shoes.

« Reply #32 on: 24 February, 2021, 08:18:12 pm »
Online you can return if it doesn’t fit, but you want an easy experience. Hoka allow returns after up to 30 days. Wiggle allow returns if they’re not used - you can try on of course. There are lots of other suppliers, but someone here has a recent poor experience with Sportshoes

« Reply #33 on: 24 February, 2021, 08:28:35 pm »
Research Nike's birthday 25% discount from Nike online, then use a cashbike site like topcashback for an extra few % off.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #34 on: 24 February, 2021, 08:36:23 pm »
Useful and timely thread, just discovered holes in both my shoes! I'm new to this so clueless as to what to buy and how to buy. So the advice is really useful.

Last pair were from Decathlon but never fitted that well. I've noted what has been suggested so far, any other brands/models to go for for wide feet? Or any recommended online retailers who will allow me to select wider fittings? Looking for trail running shoes.

I think someone upthread said that Salomon were considered narrow.

I have pretty wide feet ( I need to get my ski boots heat-moulded ), and have not had width issues with my Salomon Speedcross 4 and 5 trail shoes, and I find them very good but I don't have much experience of other brands.  Perhaps it's just the fact that these shoes are soft enough that they just stretch to my feet, unlike ski boots. <shrug>.

I'm using them on a wide range of terrain: Muddy tracks, mountain paths, slick rock, steep rugged terrain, snow and ice, and the paved sections that will usually be there too.
They seem to perform best in softer conditions where the tread gets some purchase.
The tread does nothing to help on slick rock or ice.
I'd say my Brook road shoes have better grip on wet slick rock or pavement.
Nothing but spikes and/or extreme care help on ice.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #35 on: 24 February, 2021, 08:37:44 pm »
I've bought a few things from Sportsshoes, no problems.
Start Fitness are also good.

Pay with PayPal, then you can claim a refund of the return postage if necessary.

« Reply #36 on: 24 February, 2021, 08:46:23 pm »
Another vote for Startfitness. I think my feet may be slightly wider than average and for trail running I have Saucony Peregrine 8? In goretex - I’ve run through all kinds of muck over the winter and I’m very happy with them. I have a summer equivalent that will get a proper test this year.

For the road I quite like Asics. I’ve also noticed that the length of a shoe on the sizing guides is a good way for me to get the correct size.

Diesel

• or Richard
« Reply #37 on: 24 February, 2021, 09:24:17 pm »
Thanks all. Not easy to search for wide fitting shoes and availability not great. Ordered some Brooks from Runners Need and Hoka from them direct. I'll try both and see. (Thanks Mike for the 30 day info about Hoka)

Incidentally spotted at the last minute that cycling uk offer 15% discount at Runners Need.

« Reply #38 on: 25 February, 2021, 06:21:13 am »
My local sports shop Trisports Letchworth  fitted me out withe Mizuno Waverunner 10 years ago. I'm size 48. I usually buy a new pair annually so 1000 miles +/- 300 miles. Never had a problem with injuries, fit or quality so I'm inclined to stick with what I know

« Reply #39 on: 02 March, 2021, 07:58:38 am »
Retail outlets are re-opening in 6 weeks so this will soon become redundant, but I've just realised that Nike (if you take up their free membership) offer 30 day returns even if you've tried the shoe.

« Reply #40 on: 05 July, 2021, 05:17:57 pm »
Just scored a pair of the Brooks wide sboes that I use at 30% off.  For the normal widths that's a pretty poor discount but for the wide version (mens labelled as width 2E) it's the biggest discount that I've had for a long time.

With my current two pairs coming up to 2/3rds of life I now have two pairs to replace them.  That's more than another year of running unless my mileage goes up if I decide to try for a marathon for instance.  At present I am running about 110km per month with close to a quarter of that done wearing my third active pair, a pair of trail shoes. 

It will be nice to get out and try other brands on in due course but Brooks 2E is currently a very nice fit and they work very well for me.   I have been fortunate enough to stay supplied throughout the pandemic.

« Reply #41 on: 05 July, 2021, 05:25:25 pm »
Just scored a pair of the Brooks wide sboes that I use at 30% off. 
Link please. :thumbsup:

« Reply #42 on: 05 July, 2021, 05:28:17 pm »
Oh yes, sorry folks.  😊

Just go to the Runners Need website.  They have a sale on atm.  Just so happens that they shoes I wanted were available on sale.  🙂🙃🙂🙃🙂

« Reply #43 on: 07 July, 2021, 07:21:07 pm »
After a couple of worrying emails implying that my shoes might never materialise, materialise they have. 

As I said upthread, I now have shoe security for the next 12 months plus.  Given how much I find running helps with my state of mind which has been massively hit in the past few years I feel a small level of comfort knowing that I have the shoes and clothes to run for many months.  With a bit of judicious use (doing more trail running wearing my trail shoes) I might be able to eek out these shoes until my 60th birthday and thus be relieved of my crapita pension drawdown worries. 

« Reply #44 on: 07 July, 2021, 07:47:14 pm »
The expo at the Athens marathon, when Mrs Syd ran it a few years ago, had a company there carrying out an analysis and recommending shoe fit.

At the time I’d just started running and was having problems with the Asics shoes I’d chosen so gave it a go. Recommendation came out as Brooks Adrenaline GTS and I’ve ran in them since.

Disappointing thing is they have tweaked something in their more recent versions and they no longer suit. I’ve one new pair left of the older version before I need to look again.

For trail running I use Salomon shoes.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #45 on: 07 July, 2021, 10:05:15 pm »
I used to run Salomons but with dodgy toes now use Hoka as they look after the toes better.  Based on my time in the Hampshire Hoppit, am back to about the same speed as before foot troubles.  My wife tried a pair and they didn't fit, but they processed the return immediately.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #46 on: 08 July, 2021, 10:42:42 am »
One of the things about the Hoka.eu site is that you can actually run in them for 30 days and still return them.  I had a pair of their road shoes which felt Ok in the house but rubbed on a run and I sent them back for a full refund.

« Reply #47 on: 08 July, 2021, 12:39:13 pm »
One of the things about the Hoka.eu site is that you can actually run in them for 30 days and still return them.  I had a pair of their road shoes which felt Ok in the house but rubbed on a run and I sent them back for a full refund.
https://www.hoka.eu/home.html

Obviously not the one you were referring to.

« Reply #48 on: 08 July, 2021, 01:35:35 pm »
https://www.hoka.eu/home.html

Obviously not the one you were referring to.

That one is far more interesting.

« Reply #49 on: 09 July, 2021, 10:06:19 am »
Ordered a pair of Hoka Clifton 7s today, direct from Hoka EU, less than £90, seemed rude not to.

Not sure if you have to be on their mailing list to get the deal ?

And, another vote for Brooks Ghost 12 in the wide fit. Seems to have resolved a toe issue I was experiencing (managed my first marathon in reasonable comfort).

I think I’m now well entrenched in the n+1 world of running shoes (where n is MUCH larger than number of bikes !)