Author Topic: Massage guns (percussive)  (Read 1680 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Massage guns (percussive)
« on: 25 March, 2021, 07:08:12 pm »
I see from a google search that fboab has one, but any experience welcome.

I'm thinking not because I am any sort of athlete but I've been carrying lots of tension and tight shoulder muscles for years (my favoured masseuse pre-pandem and I used to laugh about my shoulders being like bricks). I already have a massage ball and a roller, but they're not the best for that area. Tried asking Pingu, not happening.
So, will a massage gun do what I need (tops and rear of shoulders) and will I be able to do it myself?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Massage guns (percussive)
« Reply #1 on: 25 March, 2021, 07:33:25 pm »
Top stalking Mrs P!

I bought a cheap one from Amazon for post workout cramp. I never use my foam roller because it hurts. It hurts me more than I am willing to get used to. So I blew £30 on a no-name big black vibrator on the basis that a) more than that gets you quieter, but not actually any better at the job and b) cheaper was probably disposably crap.

I use it on my quads and I get Mr Smith to do my shoulders glutes and hamstrings. Calves tend not to hurt/ ache/ cramp.
I don't think I would be able to do much good myself on my shoulders.
I did a fair bit of googling and according to You Tube the big players (Theragun and Hypervolt) aren't worth the extra money.

It charges from a shaver socket, and I like nothing more post - ride or post - race than spending some quality time with my vibrator.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #2 on: 25 March, 2021, 07:42:22 pm »
M’colleague has a Theragun and rates it highly but I agree with fboab here - it’s probably not worth the inflated price.  I suspect the only reason the Theragun is so expensive is to pay for all the celebrity endorsements.

I vaguely recall seeing one as an Aldi special not so long ago. Worth keeping an eye out for, I reckon.

<Google> here you go...

https://www.aldi.co.uk/visage-fitness-massage-gun/p/802956430349400
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:06:05 pm »
Mr AvE on the Theragun. He can be a bit sweary, but he knows his stuff.
Theragun
And a bit of an irreverent follow up
The most important question
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #4 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:18:50 pm »
And a bit of an irreverent follow up
The most important question

Do you remember the film Top Secret? Ahead of its time.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #5 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:45:47 pm »
I bought one when I got very tight quads. Seems to work and I too prefer it to foam roller. My wife loves it for her back and shoulders.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #6 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:49:22 pm »

« Reply #7 on: 25 March, 2021, 08:50:14 pm »
Amazon Warehouse is doing 30% off on certain products. You can get a normally priced £70 gun for £32 (£45 in warehouse before discount)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 25 March, 2021, 10:15:12 pm »
I clearly wasn't looking at the right bit. I could see plenty of sex toys for less than 30 quid though ;D
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Chris S

« Reply #9 on: 26 March, 2021, 07:05:29 pm »
I clearly wasn't looking at the right bit. I could see plenty of sex toys for less than 30 quid though ;D

That will happen when you Google "Massive black vibrator".

I think. I don't know. I've never done it. Never.

« Reply #10 on: 26 March, 2021, 07:47:14 pm »
If it's your shoulders and upper back, I've gone another direction entirely with indian clubs, or club bells. Don't get heavy ones, but something 2kg each or less. There's a few types on YouTube who'll show you some basic moves and then you're just messing about, learning a new skill, strengthening everything, but also giving it all a very lovely warming up. I rate them very highly for re-hab-ing my throwing arm too.
Cruzbike V2k, S40

ian

« Reply #11 on: 26 March, 2021, 09:21:52 pm »
If anyone needs me, I live near the Ann Summers outlet store.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 26 March, 2021, 09:24:03 pm »
I've watched enough AvE and Big Clive to know that the optimal solution is to buy a Makita intended for the Japanese market.  In pink.