Author Topic: People playing guitar in music shops  (Read 1821 times)

People playing guitar in music shops
« on: 06 November, 2019, 08:14:06 pm »
Usually its some kid murdering Stairway to Heaven. There is a shop that's an exception though, Norman's Rare Guitars in California. Check this out:

https://youtu.be/AI1RhFYwAc4

I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: People playing guitar in music shops
« Reply #1 on: 07 November, 2019, 01:22:49 pm »
I don't think I'd have the nerve to go in and murder Stairway to Heaven after that.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Genosse Brymbo

• Ostalgist
« Reply #2 on: 10 November, 2019, 10:37:42 am »
Quite liked Larry Carlton, but then I've always liked the session guitarists Steely Dan use and I believe he's one.  Boy, hasn't Don McLean ballooned!  Must admit most appeared to be old men, playing old men's music, except for the couple called Nichols and Lemmo, who seemed younger.  They should have known better than to deliver sub-Grateful Dead noodling.  And who's Frank Stallone, apparently murdering a Ramirez?
The present is a foreign country: they do things differently here.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2020, 02:41:02 pm »
McCabe's guitar shop in Santa Monica is a bit like this too.  I had a few hours to kill one evening and dropped in, officially to pick up some strings*, and they were perfectly happy to leave me noodling away on guitars that I would need to sell my soul to afford. Several other people were doing the same and I was embarrassed to be even touching a guitar in their company.

* I bought some music books too, so I didn't feel so guilty.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Chris S

« Reply #4 on: 18 February, 2020, 10:13:28 pm »
OK, this is not guitar, so if that's too OT, feel free to skip.

All my young'uns do a decent turn on Piano. We (The Ex Mrs Smith) and I, made sure they could all (a) read music, (b) sight read an instrument; 2/3 chose piano - son #2 did it another way, in his own awesome way.

So one day, back when my daughter (#1 childer) and I had a functional relationship, we popped into a posh piano shop in Norwich. She proceeded to unleash a film tune on a demo piano - I think it was a fairly dramatic piece from one of the Lord of Rings movie soundtracks. Anyway - a few moments passed, and I noted that the instrument she was employing cost several 10s of £1000s and that, y'know... perhaps we should have asked first.

We left without buying anything, thank god!

« Reply #5 on: 18 February, 2020, 11:52:59 pm »
Quite liked Larry Carlton, but then I've always liked the session guitarists Steely Dan use and I believe he's one.  Boy, hasn't Don McLean ballooned!  Must admit most appeared to be old men, playing old men's music, except for the couple called Nichols and Lemmo, who seemed younger.  They should have known better than to deliver sub-Grateful Dead noodling.  And who's Frank Stallone, apparently murdering a Ramirez?

Frank Stallone is the brother of a reasonably well-known actor and wrote scores for his films.

It was a fascinating little film.  The overall impression for me was of what a fabulous key for guitar E is, though it was interesting to see three musos jamming in C#!  I've got a 16-year-old Scots student who plays the Colin Hay tune fine and I've always thought Colin
Hay should be in your great covers thread because he's got Sting off pat (Pat)!

All that said, thank God for SONGS!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2020, 03:42:55 pm »
Frank Stallone is the brother of a reasonably well-known actor and wrote scores for his films.

It was a fascinating little film.  The overall impression for me was of what a fabulous key for guitar E is, though it was interesting to see three musos jamming in C#!  I've got a 16-year-old Scots student who plays the Colin Hay tune fine and I've always thought Colin Hay should be in your great covers thread because he's got Sting off pat (Pat)!

Pat is on record as being relieved that he's finally got shot of Sting.  And his lute.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2020, 09:19:58 pm »
 :)

« Reply #8 on: 23 February, 2020, 01:34:41 pm »
The guitar of the day feature on you tube is a quicksand that features gtr. One can spend hours looking at certain models, makes and listening to the differences