Linked Events

• Friday Night Ride to the Goths (from York): 25 October, 2019

Author Topic: Friday Night Ride to the Goths - Friday 25/10/2019. *** CANCELLED ***  (Read 9664 times)

Re: Friday Night Ride to the Goths - Friday 25/10/2019
« Reply #25 on: 31 August, 2019, 08:59:06 pm »
Excellent, Andy.

And you'd be most welcome, Mark (and anyone else). It's a social ride. At worst, we'll regroup occasionally, and I'll get someone to play Tail End Charlie.

« Reply #26 on: 01 September, 2019, 09:14:15 pm »
Taken the plunge and bought a Scarbs-York rail ticket (£8), with bike reservn...
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #27 on: 18 September, 2019, 08:26:32 am »

[/quote]

Is it that hilly?

[/quote]

The GPS route says about 800m of elevation, which isn't super hilly. Knowing the area though, there's probably a couple of steep climbs.

« Reply #28 on: 18 September, 2019, 08:56:55 am »

Is it that hilly?

[/quote]

The GPS route says about 800m of elevation, which isn't super hilly. Knowing the area though, there's probably a couple of steep climbs.
[/quote]
There is one short steepish climb.
The rest are long gradual drags, best done in a low gear (with warm clothes, it is always much, much colder than you expect). The stops are exposed and you definitely need a couple of extra layers to pop on at those.

Downhills are steep because North York moors are weird that way (the northern slopes are steep and the southern slopes are gentle). Two of the downhills can't really be run full no-brakes; a turn with a humpback bridge right at the bottom of one and a very tight right-hander halfway down the other (although tadpole recumbents can get down this at over 50mph).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #29 on: 18 September, 2019, 05:00:10 pm »

Is it that hilly?

[/quote]
There is one short steepish climb.
The rest are long gradual drags, best done in a low gear (with warm clothes, it is always much, much colder than you expect). The stops are exposed and you definitely need a couple of extra layers to pop on at those.

Downhills are steep because North York moors are weird that way (the northern slopes are steep and the southern slopes are gentle). Two of the downhills can't really be run full no-brakes; a turn with a humpback bridge right at the bottom of one and a very tight right-hander halfway down the other (although tadpole recumbents can get down this at over 50mph).
[/quote]Well.

I clearly don't know the area as well as I thought I did.

My autumn jacket is currently half unsewn, had best get that done.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

« Reply #30 on: 27 September, 2019, 01:50:03 pm »
'm in.

Unless the weather is horrid- I'm only riding for fun these days.

« Reply #31 on: 29 September, 2019, 10:36:58 pm »
Quick update (and I'll add this to the OP).

Meet in the lobby of York Station for a midnight depart. Meet at York Tap (the station bar) from 11 or so for an optional pre-ride pint.

Riding:

Deano
Graeme
Markcjagar
Andyoxon
Debs (notp)
Boab

possible:

Arminius
Gattopardo
EllysH
Mr_charly
Perpetual dan
Karla
Kim
Wow

« Reply #32 on: 01 October, 2019, 10:52:13 am »
Quick update (and I'll add this to the OP).

Meet in the lobby of York Station for a midnight depart. Meet at York Tap (the station bar) from 11 or so for an optional pre-ride pint.

Riding:

Deano
Graeme
Markcjagar
Andyoxon
Debs (notp)
Boab

possible:

Arminius
Gattopardo
EllysH
Mr_charly
Perpetual dan
Karla
Kim
Wow

I can confirm I'll come along, and my partner too. (Not a forum member, but a paid up Fridays member)

« Reply #33 on: 01 October, 2019, 12:29:45 pm »
I'm a definite no, Deano. Unfortunate, or I'd take the kelly kettle along. Too far away, too busy (and I think my legs would die of shock if they saw a hill now).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #34 on: 01 October, 2019, 01:47:14 pm »
I'm a possible, verging on a probable. Given I live in York, I can probably find the start!  :-D

If Karla comes along, we can amuse you bore you witless with tales from the Uni electronics lab!! Well, for the 30 seconds it takes for him to drop me!!  ;) ;)
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #35 on: 02 October, 2019, 07:43:19 pm »
I'm definitely still in, currently searching for blinken lights to tape to bike. 11pm at Tap? A little earlier maybe? 10? When's last orders these days?

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #36 on: 02 October, 2019, 07:44:18 pm »
I'm thinking of riding down to Scarbados on the Saturday for a Northern rail train back to Brough.

« Reply #37 on: 02 October, 2019, 11:19:27 pm »
I should be at York Stn at around 10:45pm on the Fri.   

I'm thinking of riding down to Scarbados on the Saturday for a Northern rail train back to Brough.

Scarbs-bound on Sat, I'd had been pondering something like cinder - road - cinder?      https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31235693 

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #38 on: 07 October, 2019, 05:33:32 pm »
I've done the cinder and have no burning desire to return and experience those delights again. The A171 from Whitby no longer holds any fear for me but I do think it'll be traffic-y on a Saturday, so the cinder is a good traffic free alternative.

« Reply #39 on: 10 October, 2019, 03:58:58 pm »
Not confirmed with Mrs. JonJo yet but think I'll be in Scarborough that week so could get the train to York on Friday evening, ride back to Whitby then take the cinder track back to Scarborough in daylight.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #40 on: 12 October, 2019, 04:06:31 pm »
Early hours of Saturday 26th in NYM area has popped on to the long range forecast...    https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2640312    OOI  ;)  sunrise in Whitby on 26 Oct is 07:51, which is nearly as late as it gets for a non-winter (<1 Dec) ride.  Clocks of course going back on 27 Oct...

JonJo, my plans too - I'm in Scarborough Fri - Sun.

« Reply #41 on: 13 October, 2019, 11:08:59 am »
Mrs. JonJo informs me that I'll be in Edinburgh celebrating best mates 60th birthday and how could I have forgotten it?

Dammit, will have to cancel Scarborough booking and mebbe lose money - also bought skellington mask :(
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #42 on: 16 October, 2019, 12:32:29 pm »
What is the hive mind's opinion about mudguards on this ride? The bike I would want to ride does not have any, and I'm not sure I would have time to get any bought and fitted beforehand. My bum would be partly protected by the small saddle bag, but anyone behind would be in the firing line if the roads were wet.

Chris S

« Reply #43 on: 16 October, 2019, 04:21:28 pm »
Mudguards are good for two things - being nice to the person on your wheel, and being nice to cafes and other places where you intend to park your (wet) bum.

If it's anything like 2016, guards will be academic against wind-blown rain/sleet. Also - the only place you're going to be sitting down indoors is at the end, so just take a carrier bag to sit on - you'll be fine.

« Reply #44 on: 16 October, 2019, 11:08:12 pm »
Mudguards or not is fine (I think Mr Legge had a thing about them, but it's not a problem either way). It'll be a social ride, probably without any pacelines, so you could ride along chatting next to someone.

Pleased to see that Chris has taken the "Slow"coach role of predicting DOOM in the weather. Cheers, Chris!

I'll PM everyone my mobile number tomorrow and try to to cobble together a start list. Sorry it's gone a bit messy.

Couple of things - for the stop at Thornton, are we OK with bringing our own warm drinks for those that want them? I will bring some cake, and would appreciate anyone else baking.

And anyone fancy being ride leader/tail end Charlie? I can do one but not both, and I think we'll have enough to need both.

« Reply #45 on: 20 October, 2019, 12:54:02 pm »
6-day weather prospect seems encouraging.  I can bring some tray bake drizzly offering.  Bike thermos will have an outing...

« Reply #46 on: 20 October, 2019, 01:05:10 pm »
I will have cake(s) and a flask (the thermos kind) but there's no point in me offering to be either TEC (0 mechanical skillz) or ride leader (minor left /right confusion).
Any cake requests usually provided for.

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #47 on: 20 October, 2019, 08:03:57 pm »
I'm not bringing cake. I might bring a flask. I accidently discovered rum and raisin flapjack on today's Wiggy 100... Very warming. I wonder if pure rum would be a good idea.

Still not sorted flashing fairy lights for bike. Also, today's rain really hammered my mechanicals - some TLC is needed before Friday.

« Reply #48 on: 20 October, 2019, 08:08:48 pm »
I'm afraid i'm out, as the family need me near the south coast on Saturday afternoon. Shame, was kinda thinking of joining in with the goths too :)

« Reply #49 on: 20 October, 2019, 10:07:40 pm »
That's a shame dan, but it's quite a long way! Somebody will beat TimO's record of furthest distance from home, I'm sure, but it doesn't look like this ride.

I think there'll be eleven of us:

Deano
Graeme
Markcjagar
Andyoxon
Debs (notp)
Boab
Arminius
EllysH + 1
Col (notp)
yorkie

Should be able to manage without a TEC. I'll make sure we regroup from time to time (usually, we regroup a couple of times in the lanes, then in Malton, obviously at the tea stop in Thornton, then probably at the top of Saltergate and Blue Bank. We have also stopped on the descent of Blue Bank in Sleights, to decide which route to take into Whitby, but we'll see what sort of time we're there).

Cake in the oven, I'll do the rest on Friday.