Author Topic: Query: is ECEing PBP possible?  (Read 4584 times)

Query: is ECEing PBP possible?
« on: 12 June, 2019, 01:07:37 pm »
Is it possible to ECE PBP? I'm thinking of adding a 300 on the way back to make this a 1500, but I wasn't sure how that would work in admin terms. Is there anywhere with info that I'm missing, or should I just put this through as a 1500 DIY?

Martin

Re: Query: is ECEing PBP possible?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2019, 04:57:05 pm »
it's registered as an AUK randonnee so I don't see any reason why not  :)

you couldn't register it as a DIY 1500 as you have already signed up to the 1200

Martin (ECE delegate)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2019, 05:04:03 pm »
Is it possible to ECE PBP? I'm thinking of adding a 300 on the way back to make this a 1500, but I wasn't sure how that would work in admin terms. Is there anywhere with info that I'm missing, or should I just put this through as a 1500 DIY?

That's quite a cool idea. If you're not broken from the 1200, the extra 300, would have a time limit of 29 hours, cos the average overall speed would be 12kph.

Is PBP slightly over distance? If so, can the ECE distance include the over distance of the PBP?

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2019, 05:16:38 pm »
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Martin

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2019, 05:18:28 pm »
Is PBP slightly over distance? If so, can the ECE distance include the over distance of the PBP?

yes providing validated by GPS (sorry don't know the minimum distance by controls for PBP although it may be OK not by GPS)

NB; sorry that AUK webpage is not up to date you need to check the AUK forum for ECE FAQ

http://www.aukweb.net/diy/ece/ecefaq/#4

has now been superseded by the mandatory route rule for DIYs/ ECEs so you can include overdistance for PBP itself

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2019, 06:39:04 pm »

yes providing validated by GPS (sorry don't know the minimum distance by controls for PBP although it may be OK not by GPS)

NB; sorry that AUK webpage is not up to date you need to check the AUK forum for ECE FAQ

http://www.aukweb.net/diy/ece/ecefaq/#4

has now been superseded by the mandatory route rule for DIYs/ ECEs so you can include overdistance for PBP itself
So on the last LEL I coulda included the 30km over distance in my ECE by mandatory GPS?
Bikes are for riding, not cleaning!

Phil W

« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2019, 06:44:25 pm »
What and miss out on the post PBP evening get togethers, before everyone goes their separate ways the next morning?

bairn again

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2019, 07:32:18 pm »
Four years ago I was toying with adding an extra 100km at the start of PBP so I could get a 1300km event for Brevet 25,000 as I met the other criteria. 

In the end I didnt bother as I felt it would detract from the main event. 

However I can see why if somebody needed a 1300km + ride for Brevet 25k or similar that ECE ing PBP is a good way of bagging an event and is especially attractive for those who have finite annual leave to factor in.   

« Reply #8 on: 13 June, 2019, 10:38:31 am »

Thanks Martin, I'll sort out the admin soon.

« Reply #9 on: 13 June, 2019, 10:50:35 am »
What and miss out on the post PBP evening get togethers, before everyone goes their separate ways the next morning?

I reckon you've time to fit them in - you get a free 10+ hours just from the time extension before a 300 with a 12kph lower limit.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June, 2019, 11:18:43 am »

I don't think it is.  It doesn't appear in the up-coming AUK Calendar. 
That's not to say ECE-ing it is impossible though.  (I admire the mental strength of anyone ECE-ing post-PBP and of course pre-PBP is a logistical nightmare.)
It will appear as an event in the AUK Results later in the year because that's a convenient way to get a finishers list published and archived - so tying an ECE in at that point is not impossible.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Edd

« Reply #11 on: 13 June, 2019, 11:59:15 am »
Am I right in thinking that if you did a 100km ECE on the PBP, that would take the total up to 1300km (thus a 12kmh minimum speed)? If true you would therefore have an extra 18hrs to do those 100km.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: 13 June, 2019, 12:52:11 pm »
That's not to say ECE-ing it is impossible though.  (I admire the mental strength of anyone ECE-ing post-PBP and of course pre-PBP is a logistical nightmare.)
It will appear as an event in the AUK Results later in the year because that's a convenient way to get a finishers list published and archived - so tying an ECE in at that point is not impossible.

Wouldn't it be treated the same way as ECE of any overseas BRM?

Am I right in thinking that if you did a 100km ECE on the PBP, that would take the total up to 1300km (thus a 12kmh minimum speed)? If true you would therefore have an extra 18hrs to do those 100km.

Yes.

If you're really feeling brave, if you added a 1300km ECE to end of PBP, you'd have 210hrs to do the 1300, but you'd still have to do the 1200 of PBP in the 90 hours. Almost 9 days! If you were to be in an 80hr group, you'd have 220 hours for the second 1300...

150km a day, sounds almost reasonable...

J
--

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #13 on: 13 June, 2019, 04:59:03 pm »

Wouldn't it be treated the same way as ECE of any overseas BRM?

Yes.

If you're really feeling brave, if you added a 1300km ECE to end of PBP, you'd have 210hrs to do the 1300, but you'd still have to do the 1200 of PBP in the 90 hours. Almost 9 days! If you were to be in an 80hr group, you'd have 220 hours for the second 1300...

150km a day, sounds almost reasonable...

J
Take the total to 1300. Not add 1300.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #14 on: 13 June, 2019, 05:03:18 pm »
Take the total to 1300. Not add 1300.

Yes. I was just playing with the maths, and enjoying it...

J
--

Martin

« Reply #15 on: 13 June, 2019, 06:31:51 pm »

OK thanks; because PBP is not advertised as a calendar event on the AUK website there is no online entry method as I've disabled online entry for the stand alone ECE's in favour of going down the "ECE this event" process via the calendar event webpage. Therefore I'd recommend entering it by email / post and I'll try updating it after the results are published. At the very worst it will get an extra 3 distance points if it's extended to 1500 even if the website does not combine the two events into a single entity  :)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #16 on: 22 July, 2019, 01:41:07 pm »

looks on in bafflement at this thread

Martin

« Reply #17 on: 05 August, 2019, 08:29:26 pm »

could I have a definitive yes /no please as I have a rider ready to enter?  :)

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #18 on: 05 August, 2019, 09:59:11 pm »

Surely it's just the same as any AUK member wanting to ECE any non UK based BRM, and should be approached as such? Which I guess involves emails rather than web forms...

J
--

Martin

« Reply #19 on: 05 August, 2019, 10:53:02 pm »
QG; the problem is that the website currently stitches AUK calendar events and ECEs together seamlessly so they appear as a single combined distance for SR etc purposes, I think there is a generic Overseas BRM that is used for other events and this is picked up as a regular calendar

Because PBP is not an AUK calendar event it won't necessarily work the same way. Plus if it's a Randonnee +1300km ECE that needs to be specially set up

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #20 on: 06 August, 2019, 06:56:45 pm »

Well you're the ECE organiser and I'm not an AUK official so I can't answer definitively for AUK's attitude to the idea - but I can say that, going by 2003, 2007, 2011, 2015, PBP will eventually appear in the AUK Results listings carrying its 12 points, so that all the various awards, totals etc, will work.  It is set up in the background as a distinct event with its own date of 18th August - any ECEs would need to carry that date even if they are actually 'back' ECEs starting on the 22nd.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Martin

« Reply #21 on: 08 August, 2019, 04:11:05 pm »

Well you're the ECE organiser and I'm not an AUK official so I can't answer definitively for AUK's attitude to the idea - but I can say that, going by 2003, 2007, 2011, 2015, PBP will eventually appear in the AUK Results listings carrying its 12 points, so that all the various awards, totals etc, will work.  It is set up in the background as a distinct event with its own date of 18th August - any ECEs would need to carry that date even if they are actually 'back' ECEs starting on the 22nd.

Thanks; yes I can award 2 ECEs both on the day (the website allows this as long as the ECE distances are not the same) rather than having to create an ECE distance that nobody is ever going to do again, I was just checking if it would be combined as a 2500km ride  :o but as there are no awards that require that distance (compared to eg a 600 for an SR) it's a bit academic.