Author Topic: Scanning & Digitising (merged thread)  (Read 8366 times)

sib

Re: Anyone digitised their family photo albums?
« Reply #25 on: 07 March, 2019, 03:45:18 pm »
Not as high tech as other posters but i used an ipad app - photomyne.
I just flicked through the album taking a picture of each page and you end up with a digital album.
Quality was good enough on an ipad - considering the originals were from 1960/70s on 126/127 ? film.
The best thing is that its less faff to look at or show them as it doesn't involve climbing into the loft !

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Scanning & Digitising (merged thread)
« Reply #26 on: 08 March, 2019, 10:00:56 am »
I would use the same approach that I used to ‘digitise’ all my old audio cassettes: put them all in a black bin bag and drop them off at the local tip.

Srsly, if all they’re doing is sitting in a shelf gathering dust, that suggests you’re not looking at them often enough to be worth keeping - and certainly not often enough to justify the cost and/or expense of digitising them. Life is too short - and you can’t take them with you.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 08 March, 2019, 05:57:48 pm »
I thought that was the point; you can't take them with you but what is left behind might be treasured by those left behind.

Photos of my great grandparents and grandparents adorn my parents' home and they have had Tech Savvy Grandson help them sort and digitise some photographs.

There were some very old pictures in the book we compiled for my mothers 80th birthday, three years ago and various descendants LOVE perusing this, and old albums.

I would be very reluctant to destroy old photographs!

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #28 on: 10 March, 2019, 07:00:13 pm »
I would use the same approach that I used to ‘digitise’ all my old audio cassettes: put them all in a black bin bag and drop them off at the local tip.

Srsly, if all they’re doing is sitting in a shelf gathering dust, that suggests you’re not looking at them often enough to be worth keeping - and certainly not often enough to justify the cost and/or expense of digitising them. Life is too short - and you can’t take them with you.
That's not very well thought through on several levels.

- Audio cassette content can be replaced.
- Photos are a valuable resource to some.
- The reason they weren't looked at, and gathered dust, is probably why digitizing them is a good idea.

I've digitised my 35mm slides to make them available to my wider family.

If someone wants to digitize their 35mm slides I have a (Free) projector to anyone willing to collect from Andover in Hampshire.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #29 on: 25 August, 2019, 04:34:55 am »
I bought a Epson 4990 from Ebay and a 4x5" film holder: Works better than expected!
UBC_1 by Jakob Schmidt, on Flickr

Full size is 22k x 17k!

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
Re: Anyone digitised their family photo albums?
« Reply #30 on: 25 January, 2020, 08:33:20 pm »

Here *is* the setup

Looking at this again as I've been asked to share some of my pics from 20 years ago. I reckon the tripod extension arm in the shot above is the key to this set up.
Here's another arrangement that also relies on the extension arm of the tripod. This time a DSLR is used to capture the image, with a slide as the subject. https://nikonrumors.com/2018/04/21/copying-photographic-film-with-the-nikon-d810-and-a-shoe-box.aspx/
They describe a neat little technique for ensuring the subject lines up with the camera, using the spirit level on a smartphone.

fruitcake

• some kind of fruitcake
« Reply #31 on: 25 January, 2020, 08:45:22 pm »
An alternative to a tripod for (some) SLRs is the Pentax Copipod. This vintage item is a four-legged stand that supports the camera lens directly above the table top it is placed on.