Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 511557 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
We went weight loss, lowish carb and slimmed down, partly by skipping the breakfast toast/croissant habit, which we have not resumed.
We are eating more cake & pies but know we ought not.

Still don't think we'll resume toast (butter) & jam any time soon.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The sauce worked well...

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
I started making hot cross buns yesterday, but then had an attack of CBA so ended up making a hot no-cross loaf instead. An absolute bloody triumph, if I say so myself.

The recipe calls for 1 egg but I made half the quantity of dough and obviously there's no such thing as half an egg so I put a whole one in. This might explain the lighter-than-usual, almost-brioche-like texture.

The secret ingredient I use in my HCBs is arome panettone - a citrus essential oil blend that is used, as the name suggests, in panettone. I first did this because the recipe calls for  orange zest and I had no oranges, so used the arome panettone as a substitute. And since then I've done it anyway because it adds an amazing flavour and aroma.

I must get round to making actual panettone one day...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Mmm. Recipe?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

I use Paul Hollywood's recipe from BBC Good Food - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/hot-cross-buns - but adapted to use my sourdough starter instead of yeast (eg if you use 100g sourdough starter, reduce the flour and milk by 50g each). Works really well - though the rising times are longer, of course. The other change is the addition of half a teaspoon of arome panettone instead of the orange zest, and I use my homemade marmalade for the glaze, rather than apricot jam.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

citoyen

Much simpler baking today - sourdough crumpets. One of those rare treats where the reward in eating them far outweighs the effort required to make them.

Only down side is I could never enjoy a shop-bought crumpet ever again - they would be far too much of a come-down after these.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

hellymedic

• Just do it!
I think the frozen cherries I've kept for aeons are going to be used to form a sauce for the vanilla ice cream I have.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
I made some focaccia bread  :thumbsup: but in the final bake some of the Teflon tin has transferred onto the bottom of the loaf  :facepalm: Having scraped the silver section off, is it safe to eat the rest of it?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

citoyen

I would. It’s Teflon - the whole point is it won’t stick, so it should just pass through your guts.

Warning: this is an entirely unscientific opinion from some random person on the internet.

nicknack

• Hornblower
If it was at all dangerous it wouldn't form the linings of a gazillion pots and pans.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Like those safe asbestos rooves? ;) I'll risk it then
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Mr Larrington: soggy stroopwafel disaster :o

IMG_5904_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

IMG_5906_01 by The Pingus, on Flickr

Nooooooooooo!!!!  :o
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
ONOZ!!!1!!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Apparently, it's World Gin Day.
Good-oh.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
The sweet potato delivered yesterday by Sainsbury's weighed 680 grams. How big do they get?

ian

Good-oh.

Crickey. I'd better check the stocks.

Going through the back of the store cupboard,  sachets of hot chocolate mix dating back to 2012 ,  tubs of Marigold boullion from 2015 !  Oyster sauce with stuff growing in it...... :facepalm:
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Good-oh.

ian?  ian? 

Oh dear.  I think he overdid it, went outside and got et by a BEAR.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Basil

• Help me!
Good-oh.

*checks yardarm*

Upside of being unable to go away camping this year - being at home for the whole of the raspberry season.
The taste of a freshly picked raspberry warm from the sun on a hot day in the garden  ;D

T42

• Apprentice geezer
The ones I liked best had ripened in the shade; they were juicier.

When I was a kid we had a dog that would pull off the raspberry flesh and leave the hull hanging on the cane.  I got the blame, and scolded for lying about it into the bargain, until one of my parents saw it happen.  Apologies? Forget it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Basil

• Help me!
My dog will also strip as many of our raspberries as she can reach.  Then she has the cheek to come in and demand breakfast.