Author Topic: Achilles tendonitis  (Read 2054 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Achilles tendonitis
« on: 11 April, 2017, 09:04:18 pm »
This is getting annoying again after years without any problem other than the usual over-40 stiffness for the first few steps after standing up - it got quite bad in 2000-2001, when I could feel the tendon grating inside its sleeve, but was cured for years by a long night bike ride!  Now it's a bit swollen and gives off occasional twinges when just lying in bed.

My runner friend suggests stretching, immersion in iced water for as long as I can stand and then a hot shower.  Are there any other ideas to make it go away again?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Pedal Castro

• so talented I can run with scissors - ouch!
    • Two beers or not two beers...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Achilles tendonitis
« Reply #2 on: 12 April, 2017, 02:33:47 am »
Anecdata:
Mine settled after camping feet up at Mildenhall 3½ months after onset - gentle chilling + elevation ftw...

Avoiding provocation, higher heels?!? and judicious non-steroidals like ibuprofen or diclofenac are also helpful.

« Reply #3 on: 12 April, 2017, 03:32:34 pm »
Sports Physio.
Eccentric contraction exercises.
Kinesio taping.
Stretching.

« Reply #4 on: 13 April, 2017, 05:11:17 pm »
Ice massage 2 hourly or as often as possible, optionally plus immersion in a bucket of iced water

Eccentric stretches (see link above to Alfredson protocol), but be a bit careful to make sure you have the strength to do them. Better to build up slowly rather than make it worse. Note, the original study added a weight load over time as well, but was based on runners who started with strong calves.

Be careful if the tendinopathy is at the insertion into the heel - the stretches could be damaging.

I'd avoid ibuprofen as there is some limited and inconclusive evidence that it can weaken the healing tendon, plus it's not an inflammation in any case.

See a physio if it does heal reasonably quickly, but it will likely take months not days. I did the stretching a couple of years ago and no longer have callouses on my Achilles and no pain, so it can work.

Mike (aged 51)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5 on: 13 April, 2017, 05:30:53 pm »
Whether or not it's inflammation, ibuprofen is rather good for the pain.
The effect on healing in general is very moot. I'm not suggesting gulping loads but judicious use when really unhappy.

« Reply #6 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:08:56 pm »
Whether or not it's inflammation, ibuprofen is rather good for the pain.
The effect on healing in general is very moot. I'm not suggesting gulping loads but judicious use when really unhappy.

Agree that it's probably more effective than paracetamol in this case. I was probably either just too careful, or not injured enough...

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #7 on: 13 April, 2017, 06:16:09 pm »
Discussed issue with esteemed, moderately injured medical colleague, who concluded it entirely reasonable to take Vit I.

« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2017, 11:17:19 am »
If it's not stopped you riding, then lower your saddle, put your cleats back (and saddle forward to compensate).

Lower saddle is the most important, to stop it over-extending when you pedal.  When it has settled down, you should be able to (gradually) raise the saddle back up to where it was.

As we get older, bike fitting becomes an ongoing process, not an event!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2017, 01:37:57 pm »
I completed my first 400km Audax with it...

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2017, 05:11:49 pm »
When I had my little bout, I paused running and just rode the bike (as well as treating it, obviously)

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2017, 08:01:15 pm »
https://www.verywell.com/the-alfredson-protocol-for-achilles-tendonitis-2696560

I have used this therapy to good effect.  They version I did recommended ice is applied afterwards