Author Topic: Disgusting oozing insect bites  (Read 3814 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Disgusting oozing insect bites
« on: 18 June, 2017, 02:55:33 pm »
No spoilers, as I assume if you're still here having read the title you're ok with a bit of ick.

3 of us have been away in Ghent this week. Well used to the usual massive reactions to midge bite but it seems they have some ghastly vampiric insects in Belgium.
All 3 of us have bites that after a couple of days start leaking a straw coloured fluid. Yuk! What's that about then?
On top of that 2 of the group have got bites that were intially mistaken for blood blisters but then did the same thing and started oozing stuff out of them.
Any idea what these manky beasties are?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Disgusting oozing insect bites
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2017, 03:02:06 pm »
My experience of Culex Molestus in Amsterdam was similar.
I think any swollen injury will exude serum if deroofed, especially if it's downhill of the heart.
I can only recommend cooling antihistamines and elevation.
And wish you a rapid recovery.

Chris S

« Reply #2 on: 18 June, 2017, 03:06:58 pm »
Sounds like the reaction my Mum had to Horse Fly bites. I can remember her being completely incapacitated by a massively swollen ankle from such a bite; which oozed corruption for weeks. Nasty.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: 18 June, 2017, 03:11:30 pm »
I've had horsefly bites in W. Scotland and I can feel them chomping, these weren't caused by cleggs.

« Reply #4 on: 18 June, 2017, 08:15:56 pm »
Almost anything that bites will give me oozing clear fluid.

« Reply #5 on: 18 June, 2017, 08:31:05 pm »
http://www.flanderstoday.eu/innovation/experts-call-drastic-action-against-asian-tiger-mosquito

I've been bitten in Amsterdam in the past when in a hotel room facing onto a canal,  but can't recall being bitten on any of my camping trips in Belgium.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #6 on: 18 June, 2017, 08:47:52 pm »
Little bastards took chunks out of my legs/ankles in Avignon despite copious applications of Deet but my fellow campers did not seem to be overly bothered by such things.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #7 on: 18 June, 2017, 08:52:12 pm »
Oh well. Fingers crossed we haven't got anything nasty!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 18 June, 2017, 09:12:47 pm »
Almost anything that bites will give me oozing clear fluid.

+1

Particularly frustrating are ISO standard midge bites to the ankle area.  If I'm not careful I'll scratch them in my sleep and end up with an oozing mess not entirely dissimilar to road rash.

If it's horseflies or something I'm properly allergic to, the oozing fluid is the least of my problems.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: 18 June, 2017, 10:37:26 pm »
This week's scientific observation is that what ever the particular brand of biting shits they were, they exhibited a preference for gnashing on the left hand side of my body, by over 2:1. ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 18 June, 2017, 10:45:06 pm »
Trying it again in the southern hemisphere might be tricky...

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:05:50 pm »
Mine didn't get this bad but this is one of Pingu's before it burst:

(click to show/hide)

Chris S

« Reply #12 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:07:33 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Did you try sucking it out? #yacfmd

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #13 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:17:51 pm »

(click to show/hide)

Did you try sucking it out? #yacfmd

I offered to squeeze it but was declined  :(

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #14 on: 18 June, 2017, 11:25:30 pm »
Belgium specializes in fuckin' big mosquitoes.

I got bitten on my hand whilst camping there and ended up in casualty. The cure was a tight bandage that had to be kept wet for a couple of days. Whilst this worked, I didn't like the 132 Euros they charged for it.

It does seem possible to build up an immunity to them. Bites on subsequent camping trips were just irritating.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #15 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:32:48 pm »
Chris Hoy's tweeted today about being bitten by a horse-fly whilst out and about - it's coming up a treat!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #16 on: 19 June, 2017, 03:39:52 pm »
I removed an unidentifiably squished insect from my jersey yesterday.  Guess what's happening to my shoulder?

ian

« Reply #17 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:03:59 pm »
That looks like the bites we used to get in our garden – we assumed expatriated Blandford Fly, though I can't say we ever saw one of the little fuckers in the flesh, they'd bite chunk out and you'd only notice it later, around the phase of furious itching, then it would swell, bleb, and finally crust over a way that would make people vacate nearby seats. They came out at twilight and went primarily for lower limbs. Completely undeterred by the levels of DEET that make sub-Saharan insecta say 'whoa!'

The only way to avoid them was to either cover up or avoid crepuscular ventures. We eventually moved house and they don't seem to have followed us.

Ben T

« Reply #18 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:54:45 pm »

(click to show/hide)
I had 3 like that all next to each other on my ankle in Thailand, think they may have been sand flies.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 19 June, 2017, 08:01:32 pm »
Just made the mistake of doing a Google image search on Blandford fly bite  :sick:

« Reply #20 on: 20 June, 2017, 09:09:57 pm »
I only get sore, red patches of varying diameters with a hole in the centre oozing clear fluid of what I think is my body's white blood cells cleaning it out. It forms a translucent, solidified ball of it which I keep knocking off because it's as itchy as I reckon the worst infection could be like. This goes on for a few days then I'm left with a red mark for several months.

That happens occasionally now but used to happen more often. Not sure what causes it but it's not just one insect. Horse fly is one = very big red sore. Scottish midge (western highlands version) = medium sized sore. English midges I've encountered so far = small red sore.

I've had a bite like the op once or twice. Not nice. Anti-histamines I reckon. One option if the skin isn't open and oozing (caught early) is perhaps germalene. Seriously it has an anaesthetic component that kind of reduces the itch factor.

ian

« Reply #21 on: 21 June, 2017, 11:15:27 am »
Just made the mistake of doing a Google image search on Blandford fly bite  :sick:

They're nasty when they get going. I had one on the side of hand that got infected and swelled up to the size of a duck egg. Utterly gross. And it pulsated with my heartbeat which admittedly was a bit cool.

I had to eat antibiotic pills the size of house bricks.

Mostly they were just scabby horrible. It was a pain though, they effectively meant we couldn't use our garden at dusk. You don't expect nastier insects in SE25 than in the DRC.

Then again...