Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 135619 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #275 on: 03 May, 2018, 09:33:30 pm »
You could still do the loop in either direction or even go over pen y pass twice, obviously you couldn't do the other half of the loop as out and back.
Very true but
For those who would be at Bangor at sunset
never managed that yet, and probably never will.

I've done several audaxes without a clue as to where I am located in the universe.
If you are anywhere near Retford that's probably a good thing.
But close to sacriligous on a route like BCM - to me anyway.   I still look forward to spotting the summit of Snowdon appearing as a tiny triangle over the intervening foothills as I enjoy the late afternoon sunshine on the coast road past Harlech. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #276 on: 07 May, 2018, 09:53:35 am »
Not as bad as the letter in the previous Arrivée from a Mr J Churton complaining about newer riders ( ie. anybody under 60) and their bikes  ::-)

I've been steering some of the younger (late 20s ) riders from my club towards audaxes and they love them. They are now members and receive Arrivée and several of them were astounded at the editorial decision to publish that letter, telling me that it would really put them off if they were considering joining. Frankly, I agree with them.
James,
I was just browsing random magazines from the coffee table, and saw that letter:

he doesn't mention age of riders, or whether they are new (to cycling? to AUK?). It's just a comment on declining standards in a few areas he seems to be passionate about.

And 90% of his letter is about
(click to show/hide)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #277 on: 07 May, 2018, 01:41:43 pm »
How fortuitous that you just happened to be browsing the very copy of Arrivée containing the letter to which I refer, and that you are able to provide some detail to compliment my hazy recollection of a speedily read missive.

It's good to hear that the letter was actually about an issue of great importance and not merely the grumbling of an old curmudgeon chuntering on about how much better things were in his day.

« Reply #278 on: 07 May, 2018, 02:24:24 pm »
There are a very few select AUK members whose opinions on anything and everything should be listened to with awe and gratitude. 

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #279 on: 07 May, 2018, 02:28:08 pm »
There are a very few select AUK members whose opinions on anything and everything should be listened to with awe and gratitude.
Noted: but on this particular occasion, James appears to have got his facts wrong.

I shall continue to listen (and read) with awe and gratitude.  :-*
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #280 on: 08 May, 2018, 11:22:24 pm »
BCM en route question, is there much likely to be open shop wise, garage, supermarket wise as we pass through rural Wales, particularly on a Sunday afternoon and evening on the last stage?

It seems the last stage is a long one and if you want food and drink  on the way to Chepstow what are the options?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #281 on: 09 May, 2018, 12:16:46 am »
BCM en route question, is there much likely to be open shop wise, garage, supermarket wise as we pass through rural Wales, particularly on a Sunday afternoon and evening on the last stage?
It seems the last stage is a long one and if you want food and drink  on the way to Chepstow what are the options?
After LW control (490k) there's Abergavenny at 553k with multiple feeding options to see you through to the finish. We stopped there to eat last year - Oasis Snack Bar (Bus Station) - you pass right by shortly after the right turn at lights in the town.
Not forgetting riders go straight past Saturday's first control 'Honey Pot' Cafe at Bronllys (523k) - open 9 till 9.
Right after crossing the A40 dual carriageway, on the turn to Usk (B4598) the 'Steel Horse Cafe' (@562k) is open till 4:30pm.
HTH

« Reply #282 on: 09 May, 2018, 04:16:17 pm »
We also pass a Spar in Crickhowell which is open 24 hours.  I stopped there for ice cream on last year's BCM.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #283 on: 09 May, 2018, 05:01:24 pm »
I rode this in 2013 and the final leg from Aberhafesp went to Knighton, Weobly, Madley Airfield, Monmouth and then up past Tintern Abbey to Chepstow. I'm looking forward to the new route from Aberhafesp, but wondering why it was changed. Was the old route a problem? I did enjoy the last climb up past Tintern Abbey, and in 2013 there was so much sunshine the gorge was gorgeous. I'm not complaining - just interested if anyone knows why the change in route, and when the change was put in. Have those who've ridden both found the new route to be an improvement? Is it something as simple as knocking the 20km over-distance off?

I was also wondering, is anyone eating out on the Friday night? I remember there being a couple of nice looking pubs in the Aust direction.

« Reply #284 on: 09 May, 2018, 05:14:43 pm »
The change in route came when the org baton passed-over I think.  The old route took you from Llangurig to nearly Aberystwyth and then on up the coast.

It now carries on to Llanidloes and then over the mountain to Mach.  This is the highest point in the ride now and does afford one of the best vistas in Wales on a clear day.

Coming back it's the old route out of Newtown, but you don't hang a left up the climb and instead follow the A483 all of the way to L'dod.  This gives a better final control.

On the whole they are good changes, but the one bit I didn't like is that it now has the hill out of Usk from Brevet Cymru fame as a final climb [although I think an alternative has been provided this year].

My burning question at the moment is can I be arsed to ride it this weekend as a helper's ride following back to back 400s the previous 2 weeks.  Will sleep on that one a bit more but in any event look forward to welcoming you all at the Aberhafesp control where a warm welcome is assured.

AC
'Accumulating kilometres in the roughest road conditions'...

« Reply #285 on: 09 May, 2018, 05:51:16 pm »
After LW control (490k) there's Abergavenny at 553k with multiple feeding options to see you through to the finish. We stopped there to eat last year - Oasis Snack Bar (Bus Station) - you pass right by shortly after the right turn at lights in the town.
Not forgetting riders go straight past Saturday's first control 'Honey Pot' Cafe at Bronllys (523k) - open 9 till 9.
Right after crossing the A40 dual carriageway, on the turn to Usk (B4598) the 'Steel Horse Cafe' (@562k) is open till 4:30pm.
HTH
And the Mynydd Ddu Tea Rooms on the right in Cwmdu on the A479.
I've also stopped more than once at the Esso garage in Abergavenny (opposite the R @ T/L).  I think it's 24h

Jeff E

• Formerly JRe
« Reply #286 on: 09 May, 2018, 06:36:35 pm »
Indeed, the Esso IS 24hr.   I checked a week ago, as they are doing a massive refurbishment and at first glance it looked closed, but then seeing cars filling up with petrol decided to find the Kiosk, tucked away in the left hand corner.   The Cashier confirmed that it is, and will be 24hr.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #287 on: 09 May, 2018, 06:41:53 pm »
I was also wondering, is anyone eating out on the Friday night? I remember there being a couple of nice looking pubs in the Aust direction.

I'm riding out from London on Friday and staying at the Greenman hostel. It would be good to have somewhere to meet up for some evening conviviality but alas my knowledge of Chepstow is rather limited, so suggestions (and directions!) welcome.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #288 on: 09 May, 2018, 09:10:25 pm »

I'm riding out from London on Friday and staying at the Greenman hostel. It would be good to have somewhere to meet up for some evening conviviality but alas my knowledge of Chepstow is rather limited, so suggestions (and directions!) welcome.

Hey I'm staying there too!
Apologies in advance for snoring

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #289 on: 10 May, 2018, 08:28:41 am »

Hey I'm staying there too!
Apologies in advance for snoring

I think you two are staying in the beating heart of Chepstow and you'll probably find lots of eating options without having to cross the Severn to reach the decidedly lonely looking Boars Head in Aust. I'm at the Severn Travelodge.

If the party is happening in Chepstow I'd be more likely to ride over and find you. :)

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #290 on: 10 May, 2018, 08:30:32 am »
The change in route came when the org baton passed-over I think.  The old route took you from Llangurig to nearly Aberystwyth and then on up the coast.

It now carries on to Llanidloes and then over the mountain to Mach.  This is the highest point in the ride now and does afford one of the best vistas in Wales on a clear day.

Coming back it's the old route out of Newtown, but you don't hang a left up the climb and instead follow the A483 all of the way to L'dod.  This gives a better final control.

On the whole they are good changes, but the one bit I didn't like is that it now has the hill out of Usk from Brevet Cymru fame as a final climb [although I think an alternative has been provided this year].

My burning question at the moment is can I be arsed to ride it this weekend as a helper's ride following back to back 400s the previous 2 weeks.  Will sleep on that one a bit more but in any event look forward to welcoming you all at the Aberhafesp control where a warm welcome is assured.

AC

Go on go on go on...

See you in Aberhafesp. Bacon rolls? :)

« Reply #291 on: 10 May, 2018, 01:20:24 pm »
I'm at the Severn Travelodge so will probably eat at the Boars Head in Aust.

« Reply #292 on: 10 May, 2018, 03:22:05 pm »
On the various comments about routes... and some other chapman issues...

Remember you are entitled to choose the route you wish - but must go through the controls for your ride to be validated.

Please note - the official route no longer goes straight down the A483.

The diversion off the A483 is to avoid motorbikes.  I don't seem to be able to attach a pic to show you what the turning looks like - email the organiser  if you need this. We travelled this road on a Saturday 2 weeks ago - and met only 3 cars. It is narrow, but there are fabulous views from the top. lots of it is downhill. Towards Bwlch y Sarnau you will see a left fork sp "Bwlch y sarnau 1 1/4, Pant y dwr 4" DON't take it - stay on the road you're on. 

Why doesn't it go through Weobley etc now? several reasons: 1) route is now entirely in  Wales; 2) repeated complaints about a mad dog that chased riders; 3) lots of navigation on narrow lanes when everyone was tired; 4) changing it brings everyone home 2 hours earlier - this makes it better when everyone is tired, and it helps at the finish.

Why doesn't it go down the Wye Valley now? There are frequent landslips and therefore total road closures sometimes lasting weeks at a time. There are now 2 sets of semi - permanent traffic lights on the climb out of Tintern.  The residents understandably get a bit fed up with it all so we've moved the route because we don't want to add to their hassles.

Ajax Bay refers to the route sheet on the calendar - this is not the current route.  It gives a general picture, but has not been updated -  to reduce "freeloaders" tagging along without entering. You should refer to the route sheet as circulated to confirmed entrants by the organiser.

There is NO info control at Bwlch y Sarnau

From the info available the cafe at Bwlch y Sarnau is closed

"Cycling geezer" - if you aren't sure about the geography of Wales - please DO check it out.  It means that if you get lost for any reason, or get very tired and have to be diverted, or need to be directed to other vital services (train / bus or heaven forbid, a hospital) - you have a sporting chance of knowing where you're being directed to. This especially applies if you're using Satnav without a map. "Greenbanks" advice about checking the route sheet as issued, against an OS map is sound.  Having a look at Google Streetview to see what road junctions look like is also good.

Hay / Gospel Pass Diversion - not at all sure why you'd want to do this at the end of a long and demanding 600k and it certainly isn't on the route sheet - but of course it's up to you and it is lovely up there.  If you aren't familiar with it, please note it gets very busy with cars on nice weekends (which of course we've put in an order for, for the 19-20th), and it is narrow - so it gets a bit irritable up there - so take care. Nik Peregrine used to run an Audax event over Gospel Pass but I think he did it earlier in the year when of course it's quieter.

Think that's all the issues I've seen on this thread...

HOWEVER - if you're on the event, you will shortly be in receipt of an email about parking at the start.  The behaviour of some riders has thoroughly annoyed the folks who live around the Bulwark Comm Centre.  I've had some serious placating to do this week.  It would be seriously annoying and very  inconvenient if this facility stopped being available. SO Please DO NOT park on Maple Avenue. There is limited parking at the hall. There is lots of parking - most of it free - at the following places:

Behind Severn bridge Social Club Bulwark Rd, Bulwark NP16 5JN 
Chepstow Leisure Centre:  Welsh St, Chepstow NP16 5LR
Behind Wilkinson’s on Welsh Street – cost £4 for all day Saturday and free on Sundays  24 Welsh St, Chepstow NP16 5LL
Chepstow station 2 carparks – both free one opposite tesco and the other right by the station  NP16 5PD

All are within 1 mile of Bulwark Com Centre.

....and finally...again if you're on the ride...please don't put your bikes in peoples' gardens - particularly in Aberhafesp, because surprise, surprise it quite annoys the owners!  Sometimes I just wonder...

If you have any questions - please email the organiser - you will get a definitive answer, based on experience and a (reasonably) full knowledge of what is going on. The current organiser has ridden the chapman nearly every year since it started, over most, if not all, permutations of the route and I think still has the fastest completion time 23h 50 mins-ish - but he was, as he would tell you himself, younger then.

« Reply #293 on: 10 May, 2018, 04:23:45 pm »
"Ajax Bay refers to the route sheet on the calendar - this is not the current route.  It gives a general picture, but has not been updated -  to reduce "freeloaders" tagging along without entering. You should refer to the route sheet as circulated to confirmed entrants by the organiser."
and
"The diversion off the A483 is to avoid motorbikes. . . .  It is narrow, but there are fabulous views from the top. lots of it is downhill. Towards Bwlch y Sarnau you will see a left fork sp "Bwlch y sarnau 1 1/4, Pant y dwr 4" DON't take it - stay on the road you're on. "
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27369491

BCM 600km audax starting from Chepstow - same as 2017 but with the Bwlch-y-Sarnau (472) variation off the A483. Controls at Bronllys (72), LLanidloes (138), Dolgellau (King's 203), Menai (292), Dolgellau (King's 374), Aberhafesp (439) and Llandrindod Wells (493), plus 3 information controls (Machynlleth (170), Harlech (231) and Pen-y-pas (267) (road to Llanberis).
Note: I have added the Bwlch-y-Sarnau (472) variation off the A483. Towards Bwlch-y=Sarnau there's a left fork with the road you're on signed "Bwlchysarnau 1 1/4, Pant-y-dwr 4": the route I've plotted stays on the road you're on, and goes through Bwlch-y-Sarnau and Abbeycwmhir (a 'wide yellow' road all the way on the OS 50,000 map).

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #294 on: 10 May, 2018, 08:42:43 pm »
If anyone delivered a free surprise bicycle into my garden I might put it away very quickly. I'd hate my new bike to get Stolen.

8)

Eddington  127miles, 170km

cyclinggeezer

• Cyclinggeezer
« Reply #295 on: 10 May, 2018, 08:50:17 pm »

"Cycling geezer" - if you aren't sure about the geography of Wales - please DO check it out.  It means that if you get lost for any reason, or get very tired and have to be diverted, or need to be directed to other vital services (train / bus or heaven forbid, a hospital) - you have a sporting chance of knowing where you're being directed to. This especially applies if you're using Satnav without a map. "Greenbanks" advice about checking the route sheet as issued, against an OS map is sound.  Having a look at Google Streetview to see what road junctions look like is also good.

[/quote]

Thank you for the shout out but I had already taken several precautions. paper map, Google street view checking, 2018 route sheet checking against tracks I have created. Tracks split into 8 and checked they are sequential in the right order, use bike gpx app in case Garmin fails. Studied route. Not sure what else I can reasonably do.

I am cautious by nature so when venturing into unknown parts best to have it all sorted and not blindly follow riders in front, and check route sheet/ tracks are ok before setting off.

I am just as concerned about making sure I have suitable clothing, food and drink for Brecon Beacons, Snowdonia etc. It may be wonderful weather and never get cold and wet, but I doubt it.

Any admission about not knowing Wales is not saying I do not know what to do to prepare. However do expect the unexpected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Graeme

• Graeme's Blog
« Reply #296 on: 10 May, 2018, 08:50:23 pm »
I'm at the Severn Travelodge so will probably eat at the Boars Head in Aust.

Awesomebobs. :)
I also know of a fixed gear rider who might be joining us too.

Catswiskas... Thank you so much, that was a lovely update. I'll miss the ice-cream in Weobly but I'm sure I'll find some elsewhere. This is going to be so much fun!

« Reply #297 on: 11 May, 2018, 09:44:23 am »
Cycling geezer - good idea to be thinking ahead about what to expect. it's still a bit far out to guesstimate the weather accurately for next weekend. However, at the moment it looks like about 4deg C overnight in Snowdonia - though no rain.  This will feel cold if you're tired. 

Layering, waterproofs, hat and gloves are all sensible precautions. Shorts on their own will be too chilly.  It's also handy to carry a space blanket - you can often pick them up very cheaply (Wilko's and the £1 shop for example) and these are as good as the more expensive ones. It means if you have to stop, or get you wet, you can wrap yourself up / put it down your jumper etc.

There are places (Llanberis and the coastal bit in particular) where the lack of shelter means if it does rain you get particularly wet.

Elsewhere there have been queries about what is open in rural Wales late on a Saturday - answer - not a lot.  It is also very dark -this is why you are advised to wear reflective / light coloured kit - and this is also useful in daylight under trees where riders in black tend to merge with the scenery.

Generally to anyone  / everyone  PLEASE do make sure your bike is in good fettle, that you have spares for things like tyres / tubes / spokes / batteries, that you have checked same beforehand and know how to repair them, (and do also check the brakes / gears and possibly even applied a touch of lube to the  parts that go round while you're about it?) If your bike is making a funny noise now, it will not improve over the course of the Chapman - and the experiment isn't worth it - get it checked out! It's not macho to set off on frayed  / cracked tyres with dodgy brake blocks and gears that don't shift - it's daft and more than a tad dangerous to you and others

whosatthewheel

« Reply #298 on: 11 May, 2018, 10:40:01 am »
, that you have spares for things like...  spokes ...

90% of spoke breakages occur on the rear wheel. If you don't remove the cassette, then you cannot replace spokes on the drive side and even those on the other side are extremely hard to route with the cassette on. To remove the cassette you need "non portable" tools... unless you are happy to carry around a chain whip, a large and heavy adjustable spanner and a lockring adapter.
If you use tubeless tyres, you can never replace a spoke during a ride, regardless of whether it is front or rear.

In essence, in most cases it turns out to be a waste of time

simonp

« Reply #299 on: 11 May, 2018, 10:43:34 am »
, that you have spares for things like...  spokes ...

90% of spoke breakages occur on the rear wheel. If you don't remove the cassette, then you cannot replace spokes on the drive side and even those on the other side are extremely hard to route with the cassette on. To remove the cassette you need "non portable" tools... unless you are happy to carry around a chain whip, a large and heavy adjustable spanner and a lockring adapter.
If you use tubeless tyres, you can never replace a spoke during a ride, regardless of whether it is front or rear.

In essence, in most cases it turns out to be a waste of time

None of this is necessary if you have a FiberFix emergency replacement spoke.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/spokes/fiber-fix-emergency-replacement-spoke/?geoc=US