Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 135042 times)

whosatthewheel

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #325 on: 14 May, 2018, 09:22:33 am »
OK,

I have plotted the official route using the (not so good) routesheet (where some ditances are completely wrong in stage 7).

It comes up under distance at 595 km. So if I understand correctly the detour up Bwlch Sarnau is for the sake of avoiding a road busy with bikers. In my experience bikers are lazy creatures, never to be seen on the roads before 10 AM. Assuming one leaves Kings at 5:30, that section should have been cleared by 9 AM I would have thought. Anyone has direct experience of being there early-ish?

Route plotted here

https://www.strava.com/routes/13223216

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #326 on: 14 May, 2018, 09:44:39 am »

As long as the spoke nipple has not disappeared in to the rim, you can remove the broken parts and screw in to the original nipple.  No need to remove tyre / rim tape / sealant .  :thumbsup:

Good luck with that...  :thumbsup:

Worked fine for my last broken spoke on the rear!  :thumbsup: 
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #327 on: 14 May, 2018, 10:23:31 am »
If you can do a 400 you can do the BCM

Ha, yes, so I'm going to join AUK this year so I can enter BCM next year  :thumbsup:  Who knows, it might only be my second Audax after Brevet Cymru the other week!  I do find these rides across Wales quite compelling.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #328 on: 14 May, 2018, 10:37:13 am »
, that you have spares for things like...  spokes ...

90% of spoke breakages occur on the rear wheel. If you don't remove the cassette, then you cannot replace spokes on the drive side and even those on the other side are extremely hard to route with the cassette on. To remove the cassette you need "non portable" tools... unless you are happy to carry around a chain whip, a large and heavy adjustable spanner and a lockring adapter.
If you use tubeless tyres, you can never replace a spoke during a ride, regardless of whether it is front or rear.

In essence, in most cases it turns out to be a waste of time

Sorry - that's wrong, if you are running tubeless you can replace the spoke during a ride (subject to which spoke of course, but that might apply to any flavour of wheel).

it's wrong on many levels - shocking! ;D
many rear hubs are made with easily removable freehub bodies (a couple of allen keys or even no tools at all), so no need to carry any "non portable" tools to change rear spokes - yay!!

« Reply #329 on: 14 May, 2018, 11:49:27 am »
I have plotted the official route using the (not so good) routesheet (where some ditances are completely wrong in stage 7).
Route plotted here
You may wish to refine your approach to the Honey Cafe, Bronllys control, don't go so far down the little road at Menai Bridge, and (key point) have look at where the Aberhafesp control is - it's not in the village (which is where you've marked it). In the dark (since you are a racing snake insomniac) this would be a challenge, which reference to the routesheet might not sort out at 3 in the morning.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/27369491
Interesting, the Strava plot suggests a far larger climb than RwGPS (8340m versus 6733m), much more like the AAA points awarded.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #330 on: 14 May, 2018, 02:01:53 pm »
Route plotted here
You may wish to refine your approach to the Honey Cafe, Bronllys control, don't go so far down the little road at Menai Bridge, and (key point) have look at where the Aberhafesp control is - it's not in the village (which is where you've marked it). In the dark (since you are a racing snake insomniac) this would be a challenge, which reference to the routesheet might not sort out at 3 in the morning.
Interesting, the Strava plot suggests a far larger climb than RwGPS (8340m versus 6733m), much more like the AAA points awarded.

Ah, thanks for the Aberhafesp pointer... I got confused by the "5th left" and started counting too late.

Yes, Strava is very generous with climbing figures when plotting... assume it's down to wanting everything to look more epic  ;D

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #331 on: 14 May, 2018, 02:59:57 pm »
Route plotted here

Ah, thanks for the Aberhafesp pointer... I got confused by the "5th left" and started counting too late.

Yes, Strava is very generous with climbing figures when plotting... assume it's down to wanting everything to look more epic  ;D
Mire generous with the route planning than with the elevation correction tool for ridden rides.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #332 on: 14 May, 2018, 04:43:40 pm »
http://sciencebybike.com/listing/project-splatter/

Something to consider on our little north south weekend?

« Reply #333 on: 14 May, 2018, 04:48:24 pm »
And a what's living in the hedge survey!
Ahem! Yes ;-)
http://sciencebybike.com/listing/opal-biodiversity-survey/

whosatthewheel

« Reply #334 on: 14 May, 2018, 04:59:06 pm »
http://sciencebybike.com/listing/project-splatter/

Something to consider on our little north south weekend?

Could fill my rear pockets of different types of nuts... 30 per type and I will eat a pecan per dead squirrel, a brazil nut per rabbit and a walnut per badger. Hedgehogs will be hazelnuts. Count the nuts left at the end and voilla

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #335 on: 14 May, 2018, 06:07:14 pm »
I was a bit concerned that I've not done enough miles this year and that I am overweight.  But I just got a PB on my favoured hill repeat hill.  So although I won't be keeping up with Ajax Bay I might be able to stumble around ok

Also was trying to decide which saddlebag to use.  The winner is the 2005 Super C with a bag support

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #336 on: 14 May, 2018, 06:32:06 pm »
Will there be a bag drop? I don't really mind, but it will effect my packing on Friday. I will just mean I have to carry a bit extra round with me. Shorts for second day, sleeping clothes that sort of thing.

Bb

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #337 on: 14 May, 2018, 06:42:07 pm »
By the way, the Cader Idris Mountain Race is on Saturday, from the town square in Dolgellau. It might affect riders trying to ride through the town centre on their way to Kings.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #338 on: 14 May, 2018, 08:00:30 pm »
Will there be a bag drop? I don't really mind, but it will effect my packing on Friday. I will just mean I have to carry a bit extra round with me. Shorts for second day, sleeping clothes that sort of thing.

Bb

There is a bag drop, it is mentioned in the email
Bag drop

Helpers have again have kindly offered to organise a bag drop to King’s.  Cost is £3.  Please collect a label to attach to your bag.  Anything which does not have a label will not be transported.  Please keep it to Tesco size carrier bag – no holdalls or double panniers – one bag per rider.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #339 on: 15 May, 2018, 09:23:23 am »
Change needed for the Barmouth toll bridge? Do they take pounds or just shillings?

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #340 on: 15 May, 2018, 09:51:26 am »
Change needed for the Barmouth toll bridge? Do they take pounds or just shillings?
Toll bridge? I recall using the cycle path on the vermouth railway bridge last year.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #341 on: 15 May, 2018, 09:59:22 am »
Toll bridge? I recall using the cycle path on the vermouth railway bridge last year.

That's the one. There's a toll booth at the Barmouth end, however, I've never seen a toll booth keeper. They are home having their supper by the time I get there. :)

« Reply #342 on: 15 May, 2018, 10:50:03 am »
The toll at the end of Barmouth bridge was scraped some time ago. However there is now a collecting box where they are asking for a voluntary contribution of £1. Up to you whether you put in or not.

« Reply #343 on: 15 May, 2018, 11:18:26 am »
Have a care for all the pedestrians on the (long) Barmouth bridge and the blown sand on the pathway in places. Stop to admire the view: Cader Idris - lighter than usual in the afternoon sun, the Mawddach estuary and the Rhinogs range (above Barmouth/Harlech).
Lowish gear as you go past the toll booth for the short pull up to the main road (care).
Last year non-Welsh speaking riders needed to record the answer to the info control Q at Harlech in situ - remembering the answer was a challenge too far.

« Reply #344 on: 15 May, 2018, 02:05:50 pm »
Alas Im not taking part  :'(. I have a spare non-refundable return train ticket though from Paddington to Chepstow. if anyone has a use for it let me know (Im assuming its transferable)

edit; should have said its travelling on the friday pm and back monday morning

whosatthewheel

« Reply #345 on: 15 May, 2018, 03:03:22 pm »
My 50/50 has significantly improved.

It would be a shame to not give it a go with this forecast... so see you all there

« Reply #346 on: 15 May, 2018, 04:45:43 pm »
BCM isn’t hard. It’s one of the easier 600. I would say do it!

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #347 on: 15 May, 2018, 05:09:25 pm »
The Barmouth bridge is under threat. We should all pay the pound. To try to make sure it stays open.

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #348 on: 15 May, 2018, 05:17:21 pm »
Anyone got a recommended route from Bristol Parkway to the Severn view Travelodge? Google cycling suggestion involves a section of the A38 that is fed by the M5 that doesn't sound too clever. Ta.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

Chris N

« Reply #349 on: 15 May, 2018, 05:21:27 pm »
That bit's OK.  There's a cycle lane around the roundabout and once you're past the M5 the A38 is OK for riding.

You could go N to the B4057 and then take the Old Gloucester Road to Gaunt's Earthcott and over to Tockington if you wanted to avoid it.