Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2020  (Read 134553 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2018
« Reply #400 on: 18 May, 2018, 05:34:29 pm »
A pack-away wind-proof/water-proof should be enough for any sudden chills.  Or just pedal harder.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #401 on: 18 May, 2018, 05:39:04 pm »
Heading down to the Boars Head. Food served from 6pm apparently.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #402 on: 18 May, 2018, 07:20:01 pm »
Now at Stone Rock Pizza near the Green man Packers hostel

I'm out the back wearing a blue / white shirt

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #403 on: 18 May, 2018, 07:35:55 pm »
... and it is v good pizza

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #404 on: 18 May, 2018, 10:46:41 pm »
Good luck to all of you.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #405 on: 19 May, 2018, 09:04:53 pm »
So a most pleasant day out for me riding up to Beddgelert for an ice-cream, then back to Dolgellau where I'm staying. As suspected I saw a few riders on the way up where my route intersected with the event, but saw loads when I rode South on the coast road from Penrhydeudraeth to Barmouth.

I'd dicked about for an hour in Beddgelert, so when the upcoming riders saw me from 5.30pm onwards on what they probably thought was a return leg from Menai the look of awe on many of their faces was such that I felt a bit obliged to put on a bit of a show for them. Got back from Bedd to Dolgellau in 1hr 45. Have just inhaled a Biryani and am now having a long soak in a bath (gold taps, for those who were wondering)

200 miles done in glorious weather, with Snowdonia looking at its best. Got options for tomorrow's ride home but I'll not be leaving before 9am so even if I do start by going up that shit climb to Dinas Mawddy I doubt I'll see anybody.

Hope everybody on the cdlendar route has had as pleasant a day as I have.

Graeme: I saw you as I near Harlech on return VC167 top and beard. Must be you because whoever it was really looked like a vicar.

« Reply #406 on: 19 May, 2018, 10:22:38 pm »
Interesting seeing the other end of the field (as a helper, not because I was fast!)
First rider through Kings 13:05 N bound and back S 19:56

« Reply #407 on: 19 May, 2018, 11:20:31 pm »
Interesting seeing the other end of the field.

Only interesting with mileages.

« Reply #408 on: 19 May, 2018, 11:31:07 pm »
Interesting seeing the other end of the field.

Only interesting with mileages.

About 253 miles in 14 hours. He has been faster. About a decade ago, managed to overlap with some north bound riders.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #409 on: 20 May, 2018, 01:51:38 am »
He was through Aberhafesp (~440km) at 23:00.

On a single speed. Chapeau!

« Reply #410 on: 20 May, 2018, 04:38:29 pm »
He finished at around twenty to 6 in the morning !

Bit of a wait for the organiser to arrive 6 hrs later!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #411 on: 20 May, 2018, 05:06:54 pm »
600km in under 24 hours. Seems like a recipe for a winning arrow team if he can find 2 people who can keep up.

Eddington  127miles, 170km

« Reply #412 on: 20 May, 2018, 05:26:30 pm »
Who won?

whosatthewheel

« Reply #413 on: 20 May, 2018, 06:35:29 pm »
Well, that did seem like a good idea when I signed up...

Some stunning passes, a lot of pain.

Got to Kings at 10 PM and slept for 5 hours... set off again this morning, but the pace was no longer there... a very long 10 and a half hours to cover 220 km... the word "calvary" springs to mind. Finished at 3:25 or so...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1584821257

I thought the outbound leg was a lot more scenic, anybody else agree?

« Reply #414 on: 20 May, 2018, 06:57:12 pm »
There were certainly some prize-winning faffers milling about this morning. 

Also interesting that, although the common room was quite well-populated most of the night, the daytime hum of conversation was totally absent.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #415 on: 20 May, 2018, 07:38:22 pm »
Someone at the front was churning a hellish pace at the front and the rumour was that he was going for the record... he must have blown up, as I have spotted him leaving Menai as I was arriving and then again leaving Kings just before 10 PM

simonp

« Reply #416 on: 20 May, 2018, 07:55:29 pm »
Well, that did seem like a good idea when I signed up...

Some stunning passes, a lot of pain.

Got to Kings at 10 PM and slept for 5 hours... set off again this morning, but the pace was no longer there... a very long 10 and a half hours to cover 220 km... the word "calvary" springs to mind. Finished at 3:25 or so...

https://www.strava.com/activities/1584821257

I thought the outbound leg was a lot more scenic, anybody else agree?

Yes I'd agree with that. The new route via Staylittle was a bit too scenic for my fixed wheel last year - I kept pulling out of the right pedal when trying to muscle up the steeper bits.

I find the revised route back via Llandrindod Wells a bit boring and traffic-heavy. I rather miss those roller-coasters on the road to Monmouth. Though the first time I finished the BCM I hated them as I was knackered.

« Reply #417 on: 20 May, 2018, 07:56:45 pm »
Hellish?  ::-) guess I shouldn't admit I was ahead of the group at LWL last week (edit: not last week. Duh) led by Jas that was also apparently setting a hellish pace  O:-)

My aim was to be back in time to ride back to London in time for a good sleep before work, having ridden out the day before. Nothing more, nothing less. Sadly I had an argument with my saddle on the first run into kings and spent most of the rest of the ride trying not to sit down.

Beautiful ride as always and sincere thanks to all helpers/organisers

« Reply #418 on: 20 May, 2018, 08:42:30 pm »
Well that was a bit of a cockup.

I woke up with too much sleep debt, failed to eat enough during the day and let myself get sunburnt. Then I punctured at Machynlleth which ended up taking bloody ages to sort. After that I was on my own and my pace suffered horribly. Got to Menai at 1:20 am and only had 40 minutes sleep before closing time.

The return to Dolgellau was punctuated by five minute snoozes in ditches as I was having trouble keeping my eyes open. I also discovered I was missing a chainring bolt. They were packing up Kings when I arrived and took up the offer of a lift back.

Another time.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #419 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:04:37 pm »
May as well add my name to the list of the fallen. Thought I was going well to Bronlys, OK to Llanidloes, then completely busted by the stage to Machynlleth, then limped on to Kings arriving about 7:15. Eat and went to bed till rousted around 1am, then had a couple of spells on the common room floor. Left for chepstow about 5 but still struggling so packed into Mach for a train home to London (Top Tip: buy tickets Mach to Brum, then Brum to London seperately).

Not sure what went wrong. The Llanidloes-Mach was seriously hard I thought and I was on a heavier bike then in previous years, which didn't help. And as Mrs Manotea delights in telling me, I'm five years older than when last I rode. I fear my fixing in Wales is over.

On the plus side, the Welsh countryside was stunning.

A big thank you to all the helpers who did s great job looking after a lot of very tired riders. Big respect to all the riders taking part in this challenging event.

« Reply #420 on: 20 May, 2018, 09:50:04 pm »
Thanks to the organizer and helpers. I find the route equally beautiful and challenging and the weather was magnificent. But what sets the event apart is the level of care the volunteers put in each managed control. Chapeau.

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #421 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:13:30 pm »
I find the revised route back via Llandrindod Wells a bit boring and traffic-heavy. I rather miss those roller-coasters on the road to Monmouth. .

I agree. It was fine to Llandrindod Wells, tho a bit dull. After Llandrindod Wells it was busy (well apart from the Boughrood road), esp riding into Abergavenny. Next time I'd avoid the A40 and go via Gilwern. It improves again after Abergavenny.

I also didn't like the start of the climb out of Talgarth.

However the Staylittle option is much better than going via Bow Street.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #422 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:14:48 pm »
I really enjoyed being at the control in Aberhafesp seeing you all come through. The looks on faces of those who were early enough to sleep when they saw Duvets was brilliant.
Having completed the ride just twice as a mid(ish) fielder I know what it takes an I was in awe of everyone from the first to the last.
Sorry for those that didn't make it round but I'm sure as usual you'll have learnt a lot and you can come back stronger.

« Reply #423 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:18:01 pm »
I find the revised route back via Llandrindod Wells a bit boring and traffic-heavy. I rather miss those roller-coasters on the road to Monmouth. .

I agree. It was fine to Llandrindod Wells, tho a bit dull. After Llandrindod Wells it was busy (well apart from the Boughrood road), esp riding into Abergavenny. Next time I'd avoid the A40 and go via Gilwern. It improves again after Abergavenny.

I also didn't like the start of the climb out of Talgarth.

However the Staylittle option is much better than going via Bow Street.

I usually take the lane to the left of the main road. It's steeper but shorter and safer

Anyway great to see some familiar faces where my route coincided with the event. Didn't leave Dolgellau until about 9.15am so reeled in a few riders on the way.

My total for the weekend was 335 miles. Felt pretty fresh all day and really enjoyed the climbs.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #424 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:21:20 pm »
I found that extremely tough.

.. Made easier by the amazing volunteers. It takes a special patience to deal with typo tired riders. It was especially nice to meet the humans behind the yacf names.

Thank you everyone. :)

(I posted come photos on Instagram and Twitter with #BCM)