Author Topic: Menai Suspension Bridge  (Read 1418 times)

Menai Suspension Bridge
« on: 23 October, 2022, 11:32:28 am »
Having already confirmed that the Llanfair 400 will go ahead on 6th May, despite the coronation, I have now learned that the Menai Suspension Bridge has been closed.  If was closed to all traffic and pedestrians without warning on Friday 21st October although pedestrians are now permitted across in limited numbers.  Cyclists are permitted to walk their bikes over the suspension bridge, but I don't know how the numbers are limited and I'm not sure what the provisions are for access at night.  The alternative crossing is the Britannia Bridge but that is going to be busier than ever.

I'll review this between now and next May.  I might have to keep the ride on the mainland and visit Caernarfon instead. 

For anyone riding the Perm version, I'd suggest that they try the Suspension Bridge when riding out to Holyhead with the Britannia as a fall-back.  For the return ride, it would probably be better to just go for the Britannia Bridge, as you wouldn't want to turn up at the Suspension Bridge, only to find it closed (or gone!) as the diversion to the Britannia would then add a few unnecessary kilometres.

Does this also affect the Brian Chapman ride?

Mike

Re: Menai Suspension Bridge
« Reply #1 on: 23 October, 2022, 11:45:33 am »
BCM - Thanks for bringing this up Mike.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 24 October, 2022, 05:14:10 pm »
I've seen in the Welsh press, "For up to 4 months".
So hopefully not a problem for you.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #3 on: 27 January, 2023, 05:09:52 pm »
And now I've spotted that the bridge will reopen for vehicles under 7.5 tonnes from the early hours of February 2nd.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2023, 06:35:09 pm »
And now I've spotted that the bridge will reopen for vehicles under 7.5 tonnes from the early hours of February 2nd.

better get moving on my weight loss plan

Eddington  127miles, 170km