Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 422285 times)

Phil W

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #1925 on: 02 February, 2020, 07:43:12 pm »
RRTY 3 - If I keep going through the summer. Main event is June so July is crunch month, as typically I see a dip in motivation after main event of year.

Dec - Santa Special 200
Jan - Poor Student 200

My plan for that is to make sure I've got bankers in June so that main event can count as July, since it's very unlikely that less than 200km of it will be ridden in July.

Oh smart hadn’t considered that. So yes maybe a DIY 200 in early June during taper. Might do an overnight 200 so doesn’t impact weekend too much.

« Reply #1926 on: 07 February, 2020, 09:38:30 am »
DIY from Easingwold yesterday for my February ride (subject to the usual).  Cold and misty start, even my mirror froze up with a layer of frost.  I tried a road that I hadn't used before, Brownmoor lane heading South from Huby.  It is signposted as a dead end, because there is a section of unsurfaced track in the middle, but rideable on a bike.  It turned into a lovely sunny morning as I travelled across the Wolds and down to Beverley.  And quite a few snowdrops flowring in the verges.

Then a utilitarian but tedious slog along a flat road from South / North Cave to Howden - this must have been the main road, before the motorway was built.  So wide, reasonably quiet, and plenty of options for refreshments.

By the time I got to Selby it was school run time, with the usual crazy parking and clogged up roads outside the schools.  And in the Tadcaster area, the rush hour resulted in streams of drivers going as fast as possible to get home a few minutes sooner.  Where, no doubt, they cracked open a tinny and slumped in front of the telly watching some inane game show ...  'Best' example was at a roundabout at Thorpe Arch business Park.  Left lane signed and marked as turn left into the industrial estate.  Right lane for going straight on.  However the driver behind me couldn't wait a few seconds, so went into the left turn lane; undertook me on the roundabout; and cut in front of me on the exit.  On the plus side, the resulting annoyance gave my legs a bit of impetus for the next few miles.

Quieter once I got further North, across the increasingly rattly planks of the Aldwark toll bridge and back to Easingwold.  By this time it was dark again and the temperature rapidly dropping so I was relieved to finish.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

« Reply #1927 on: 11 February, 2020, 12:03:06 pm »
First RRtY, subject to DIY validation and cross validation. My honour is vaguely disquieted by having had an easy time of it climate wise (British summer and Japanese winter both milder than the converse) and by relying on a couple of rather flat DIYs (though in my defense, Japan doesn't do calendar events in November/December, and I'm signed up for one at the end of February). But very much glad to have got it done. Will certainly try to keep this one rolling - indeed I'm vaguely tempted to aim for two this year.

« Reply #1928 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:00:13 pm »
First RRtY, subject to DIY validation and cross validation. My honour is vaguely disquieted by having had an easy time of it climate wise (British summer and Japanese winter both milder than the converse) and by relying on a couple of rather flat DIYs (though in my defense, Japan doesn't do calendar events in November/December, and I'm signed up for one at the end of February). But very much glad to have got it done. Will certainly try to keep this one rolling - indeed I'm vaguely tempted to aim for two this year.

Nothing wrong with flat DIYs.  This RRtY is addictive - getting five of these is the next objective.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1929 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:27:57 pm »

Nothing wrong with flat DIYs.  This RRtY is addictive - getting five of these is the next objective.

If there was some of us would be screwed...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1930 on: 11 February, 2020, 07:32:44 pm »
11 out of 12 completed for my first RRtY. I hadn't realised they could run concurrently or I could have been halfway through a second.

I made this mistake too. Had I realised and done an extra 200 DIY in one month, I would have got 2...

Am trying to decide if I wanna try a second RRtY. I've got 5/12ths of an AUK attempt, and 4/12ths of a RNL attempt.

I've kinda ended up doing it again. I'm now at 8/12 using just Dutch Calendar events. Last month will be June, which basically gives me a choice of trying to do the Monday event on 1st of June in Belgium, or risking it all on the 300 from Boekelo 2 weeks later.

J
--

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #1931 on: 12 February, 2020, 08:51:21 pm »
I would recommend riding a qualifier as early in the month as possible, so go for 1 Jun. You could then ride the 300 as your 1st ride of another series or a continuation ride if you have other linking rides. I am quite nervy towards the end of a series; been there just a few times when the early ride allows you to relax and the late ride brings on the sweats.
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #1932 on: 12 February, 2020, 11:08:55 pm »
Do the 200 if you want to do the 200, otherwise skip it and have an extra incentive to finish the 300.

I’ve never really liked that RRTY (inadvertently) encourages making your rides as boring as possible.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1933 on: 26 February, 2020, 05:44:16 pm »
My plan to keep RRTY 5 going this month has floundered.
After an injury last time the weather wasn't shite kept me off the bike, the one day that looked cycleable, that I took off work and was feeling decent and uninjuired right up until my back pinged when I went to bed after getting the bike ready and route in last night.

I've spent the day Annual leave thinking "Oww" and "when will I ever get back out on the bike"

« Reply #1934 on: 28 February, 2020, 09:34:27 am »
After an injury last time the weather wasn't shite kept me off the bike, the one day that looked cycleable, that I took off work and was feeling decent and uninjuired right up until my back pinged when I went to bed after getting the bike ready and route in last night.

I've spent the day Annual leave thinking "Oww" and "when will I ever get back out on the bike"

Bad luck - I hope the back gets better soon

« Reply #1935 on: 28 February, 2020, 12:38:33 pm »
My ride to complete 8 x RRTY is Sunday 29th February.

Lets hope Storm Jorge is kind

::-)
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #1936 on: 28 February, 2020, 01:40:20 pm »

Hopefully you mean Saturday 29th February, and not Sunday 1st March !

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #1937 on: 28 February, 2020, 02:27:41 pm »

Hopefully you mean Saturday 29th February, and not Sunday 1st March !

Yes... Thankfully
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #1938 on: 28 February, 2020, 08:50:27 pm »

Oh well, that's 11 months down the drain :(
@CorbieLinnRider

« Reply #1939 on: 29 February, 2020, 07:08:33 pm »
Going for my first one, and all good so far

Sept 2019 - Brum X 200
Oct - Cambridge 200
Nov - Moonrakers and Sunseekers
Dec - Winter Solstice
Jan 2020 - Mr Pickwicks Jan Sale
Feb - Ben Allen's Spring tonic

Entered

Mar - Mr Pickwick's March Madness
Apr - Knock Ventoux
May - Brum 200 or Ben Allen's Summer Outing
June - Castleton Classic
July - Kidderminster Killer
Aug - Pair of Kirton's  - to finish in style !!

« Reply #1940 on: 29 February, 2020, 08:04:35 pm »
Ciara and Dennis interupted my plans earlier in the month. On Wednesday I crawled around the Ditchling Devil Perm to complete RRTY number five. I'm glad I didn't leave it until today for Jorge to ruin everything.

March 2019 - Steam Ride 200
Apr - Amesbury Amble 300
May - London Wales London 400
Jun - Windsor Chester Windsor 600
Jul - Hereward The Wake 300
Aug - Paris Brest Paris 1200
Sep - Four Minute Mile 200
Oct - Crown & Anchor 200
Nov - Upper Thames 200
Dec - Ditchling Devil Perm 200
Jan - Willy Warmer 200
Feb - Ditchling Devil Perm 200

« Reply #1941 on: 01 March, 2020, 02:49:37 am »
February DIY feels retroactively vindicated after my calendar event was cancelled for coronavirus.

« Reply #1942 on: 01 March, 2020, 08:42:18 am »
2012 :thumbsup:
2013 :thumbsup:
2014 :thumbsup:
2015 :thumbsup:
2016 :thumbsup:
2017 :thumbsup:
2018 :thumbsup:

2019:
Scottish Borders Randonnee 200 16 Mar 2019 :thumbsup:
Auld Alliance 400 26 Apr 2019 :thumbsup:
Great North Road 400 18 May 2019 :thumbsup:
The 3 Coasts 600 15 Jun 2019 :thumbsup:
DIY By GPS 200 26 Jul 2019 :thumbsup:
DIY By GPS 200 18 Aug 2019 :thumbsup:
Alston and Back Take 2-The Twilight Zone 300 14 Sep 2019 :thumbsup:
Etal-u-Can 200 12 Oct 2019 :thumbsup:
Border Hills Permanent 200 3 Nov 2019 :thumbsup:
DIY By GPS 200 07 Dec 2019 :thumbsup:
Yad Moss/St Moritz 200 18 Jan 2020 :thumbsup:
DIY By GPS 200 29 Feb 2020 :thumbsup:

Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat...
I completed a DIY by GPS (STV) after the cancellation of my planned 200 calendar event.
I started early, and headed east to try and out-run Jorge, and the snow that was forecast.
If it hadn't been for the traffic in Edinburgh, i'd have managed too.
Rain and sleat stung my face while i waited at every red light between Portobello and Waverley station, where i caught a train home.
On arriving back in the Borders, the snow was pretty deep, so i opted for the bike-bus for the last 5 miles grom Gala to Selkirk.
I've had better days on the bike, but i've had worse.   
@CorbieLinnRider

bairn again

« Reply #1943 on: 01 March, 2020, 04:10:17 pm »
2012 :thumbsup:
2013 :thumbsup:
2014 :thumbsup:
2015 :thumbsup:
2016 :thumbsup:
2017 :thumbsup:
2018 :thumbsup:

2019:
Scottish Borders Randonnee 200 16 Mar 2019 :thumbsup:
Auld Alliance 400 26 Apr 2019 :thumbsup:
Great North Road 400 18 May 2019 :thumbsup:
The 3 Coasts 600 15 Jun 2019 :thumbsup:
DIY By GPS 200 26 Jul 2019 :thumbsup:
DIY By GPS 200 18 Aug 2019 :thumbsup:
Alston and Back Take 2-The Twilight Zone 300 14 Sep 2019 :thumbsup:
Etal-u-Can 200 12 Oct 2019 :thumbsup:
Border Hills Permanent 200 3 Nov 2019 :thumbsup:
DIY By GPS 200 07 Dec 2019 :thumbsup:
Yad Moss/St Moritz 200 18 Jan 2020 :thumbsup:
DIY By GPS 200 29 Feb 2020 :thumbsup:

Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat...
I completed a DIY by GPS (STV) after the cancellation of my planned 200 calendar event.
I started early, and headed east to try and out-run Jorge, and the snow that was forecast.
If it hadn't been for the traffic in Edinburgh, i'd have managed too.
Rain and sleat stung my face while i waited at every red light between Portobello and Waverley station, where i caught a train home.
On arriving back in the Borders, the snow was pretty deep, so i opted for the bike-bus for the last 5 miles grom Gala to Selkirk.
I've had better days on the bike, but i've had worse.
well done Russell and wise move. 

I was wondering if youd head out as Saturday as it wasnt too atrocious here in the morning at least. 

The irony of course is that the conditions (here in Edinburgh at least) and I suspect nationally have been worse in Feb 2020 than they were the time folk were given a free pass one month a few years ago. 

Im not into RRTY myself but with each weekend seemingly bringing a new named storm i suspect my next 200 may be an overnight midweeker. 
Badass.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #1944 on: 02 March, 2020, 12:20:27 am »
I’m trying to keep three RRTYs going and for various reasons had to leave my last February 200km to the 29th. To make matters worse I was on standby at work and had to drive up to Matlock Bath to fix a fault that morning. I’d already entered a new DIY 200 that stayed close to home in case I got called out again. It went on a 67km loop into the Vale of Belvoir before going past home and onto a 69km loop through the Wreake and Soar valleys, then past home again before doing the first loop in the opposite direction. It was 1pm when I arrived home from work and my wife had just made me a veggie hot dog and some chocolate brownies so I had a quick lunch, got changed and dashed out at about 1340.
It was sunny when I left home and I had Storm Jorge on my back so all was good until five minutes later when it started snowing, apparently from nowhere. I just smiled, brushed off the snowflakes and carried on, hoping it would soon blow over, but it took a while as I was going along with the wind. Eventually it stopped, but the sky looked menacing and as I had changed direction I soon had a horizontal blizzard coming from my left. It was more like small hale stones than snow so I had to use my hand to shield my face from being shot blasted. I didn’t have any wet weather gear on so was worried about getting drenched. It was getting worse with no sign of let up so I dived into a bus shelter in Colston Bassett and donned my Goretex jacket and rain legs. I put my PBP gilet back on over my Goretex and put my rear light on as it had gone so black. The blizzard eventually stopped but more showers were on the way and it was cold so I kept my wet weather gear on.
It was a slog into the headwind past home and starting the second loop so I was relieved when my route doubled back on itself for a long tailwind section to the Wreake valley. Trouble was the wind was getting stronger after nightfall and I had to turn into it again only halfway round the ride.
Until Sileby the route had gone where I expected but my Garmin beeped indicating that I had deviated from the route. On doubling back I found a dark alleyway so cycled down it until I reached a fence and railway line beyond. The track said to go straight on, but I had to carry my bike up a flight of stairs to my right and over a footbridge across the railway. I’d made a similar error after Barrow on Soar and routed down a dark, gated cycle path instead of the road. My route through Loughborough wasn’t quite as expected either, but was fine.
I had considered stopping at home for an evening meal before the last loop, but thought I might not want to go out again so carried on. I still had enough bars, gels and drink left to see me through, but my main worry was punctures as I’d seen a lot of hedge trimming activities on that loop earlier. Fortunately one advantage of the strong wind was it had blown the hedge cuttings away by night time.
The last loop wasn’t too bad until I turned for home with 25km to go, straight into the headwind. It was over 20mph and with gusts over 40mph and with my lack of fitness, progress was woefully slow. There was a fairly deep flood that I’d just picked my feet up and been blown through earlier, but this time I had to pedal into the wind so I unclipped my left foot and moved my right foot backwards and forwards at the top of the stroke to winch my way across without getting wet feet. The last ten miles must have taken about an hour but I was happy to arrive home about 25 minutes before the end of the month and inside ten hours for quite a tough ride.
Hopefully we’ll get some spring like weather soon!

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #1945 on: 02 March, 2020, 04:40:41 pm »

Bad luck - I hope the back gets better soon

Torn stuff in my knee and gastronceniuses are nice and swolen or something.
Will be off the bike for a bit, feck.

« Reply #1946 on: 02 March, 2020, 06:00:50 pm »
With February weekends being frustratingly poor weather here in NE Scotland, I've been delaying week on week my attempt at the third outing of the Snow Roads for my Snow Roads RRTY (SRRRTY). This was also month 9 of my RRTY.

This past week looked like the calmest weather so I booked my Flex for the 28th ahead of Storm Jorge coming through on the weekend. Given a stiff Southerly wind forecast for the first half of the day, I elected for the classic Kirriemuir start as opposed to my usual Banchory start. I made it over Cairn O'Mount through Banchory and up to Dufftown averaging over 20kmph. Just before Dufftown while passing through The Cabrach, it started to rain so when arriving at the control in Dufftown I decided to dry out a little in the Coffee Pot Cafe for a wee breakfast (square sausage - not link; hash brown - not tattie scone). Setting off toward Tomintoul the wind appeared to keep changing direction between a head and side tail wind but I managed to keep the speed up through Tamnavulin. As I approached the higher levels of this road the rain had been snow and was settling a little in the road. As I headed up the road Lecht the wind came right in my face at a brutal speed reducing my speed to 11kmph on the false flat. At the Well of the Lecht the road bears right turning the wind into a biting cross wind with the snow cutting at my face. It was now settling more and more. As the gradient shot up, I needed to get off and push. Visibility was probably 200m and I was thankful for the balaclava, insulated jacket, hardshell jacket and thick gloves I had. The bivy bag and shelter in the ski center did cross my mind. 50 minutes of hiking later I'd cover the 4km to the top - not easy in speedplays...

Approaching the top I saw a mini cooper struggling with the gradient, fortunately the plough from the Aberdeenshire side reversed down to give them a pull as I plodded past. They asked how to get to Edinburgh. I said they'd probably need to go to Aberdeenshire and down the coast if they could get over the other side or go back down and head to Huntly. Once At the ski centre I could see the plough had cleared the Aberdeenshire side and I was able to carefully descend down to Cock Bridge taking extra care at the hair pins just above the snow gates. On the higher levels of the road a caraban was on its side in the snow. A victim of the earlier February storms.  In Corgaff at dusk I was playing in my mind if I should ride the 80km back to Aberdeen knowing that getting to the car in Kirriemuir would be a real pain, or do I head over the BH hills via Gairnshiel into the Dee Valley to assess the situation there. My concern was that these hills would be worse than the Lecht given their lower priority for plowing. As I approached the turn off I saw three or four cars coming down and was passed by a couple going up which was promising. One driver said it was a little slippy but not too bad. I decided my luck laid in Deeside. Similar to the Lecht the slippy packed snow and my fatigue by this point meant seated climbing was exhausting and I elected to push again on the steep gradients, but was able to ride the steadier bits and carefully decent both BH hills thanking my disc brakes for their control. Once I popped out at Crathie (home to Balmoral Castle), the road was clear of snow and ice and conditions favourable so I elected to turn right and ride the 9 miles to Braemar.

At this point my average speed was down to 16.4kmph. By Braemar I managed to get it back up to 16.6kmph calculating that I had 6 hours to do the final 60kmph, this seems doable - a steady climb over Glenshee followed by a nice decent down the Perth side and a mostly downhill ride through Glen Isla. I popped into the Co-Op for food and the staff mentioned to my disappointment that the snow gates had just been closed on the Braemar side and would likely not be opened until morning. I assessed my options, at this point looking online all the snow gates had been shut and the quickest detour on open roads would be 160km via the Slug road and Stonehaven with no guarantee the Slug would be passable. I even played with the idea of doing a McNasty and portaging the snow gates and riding (or walking) up in the cloak of darkness (9pm by this point). However given that they'd be no traffic if I got in trouble and that the likelihood of bad snow in Glen Isla being very real I resigned the fact that I'd have to wait the night out at the hostel in Braemar - Game Over. I road up to the gates which were indeed shut and took the left into the SHA hostel at the edge of town. The Snow Roads had really lived up to their name. I'd finish the ride in the morning purely to get back to the car.

I awoke at 3.30am and checked the webcam - gates shut. Come 7am I got up and the gates were still shut with a line of traffic awaiting their opening. I begged some porridge from a hiker and ate the remaining 500cal long life croissant out of my saddle bag and thought they'd be ploughing and getting the gate open soon enough. Come 8.30 the police opened the road and I was soon off up Glen Callater into the South-Westerly wind of Jorge. This must have been my slowest climb of the 15km drag, but one of the most beautiful with the clearing sky and white hills. The ploughed road was not too stressful to descend on account of the wind keeping my speed from getting too high. Fortunately down in the valley at the bottom the wind was more manageable and I was able to get to the turn off for Glen Isla - the home stretch. Here signs of significant snow were evident, but the warm overnight temps and earlier traffic meant the way was clear and I road down easily enough to Kirriemuir and a warm Maccaroni pie at the BP garage to celebrate. Before going to meet Eck for a coffee and blather.

The forecast had deceived me and I wouldn't have taken on the challenge had I known the conditions would be that bad at high ground, but it was a hell of an experience and 300km in the legs ahead of Deano's Highland Fling. Hopefully no snow in early May for that one!

« Reply #1947 on: 03 March, 2020, 12:02:04 pm »
Chapeau Robbie.  Truly Audacious
@CorbieLinnRider

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #1948 on: 03 March, 2020, 12:31:09 pm »

Anyone else wondering if covid-19 is going to cause cancellation of calendar events and prevent people from completing March?

J
--

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #1949 on: 03 March, 2020, 12:41:32 pm »

Anyone else wondering if covid-19 is going to cause cancellation of calendar events and prevent people from completing March?

J
April and May are more likely to be impacted.

Eddington  127miles, 170km