Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 422426 times)

mikewigley

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #300 on: 05 February, 2010, 03:28:17 pm »
I think it's actually a written rule isn't it?(with which I agree, I hasten to add). Else I would have got my 600k last year - having ridden just short of 1000k in time of LEL. But no SR for me last year  :'( except in my head  ;)

It wouldn't have counted anyway as you would have had to have entered the 1000km before you left Lea Valley.  But is that disallowed?  I could foresee someone entering, say, the "A-to-B-to-C 300" and the "A-to-B 200", then deciding at B to stop and claim a 200, or continuing to C and claiming the 300 (but not the 200).

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #301 on: 05 February, 2010, 04:34:17 pm »
This can't be done though. If I entered 3 varying distance rides I would still have to inform the organiser which one I'd started before I started it and couldn't start 3 at the same time.

Rich

Phixie

• No gears and all the ideas
« Reply #302 on: 05 February, 2010, 05:51:16 pm »
I think Phixie is referring to the unwritten rule that says one can't ride more than one event at once.

Yes, the same one that's designed to stop you starting a DIY 1000, giving up at 650km and submitting the proof-of-passage collected and trying to claim for a 600.

No, that's slightly differnt. I was saying you can't double count distances ridden.  This latter instance refers to not meeting the challenge.  Suppose there are three Calendar events on the same day with common start and end routes - say 100,200 and 300km.  You enter the 200, but do not feel up to it, so turn early following the 100km route completely.  You are not entitled to a validated Brevet.  Equally, if you are going well, you can't do the extra to make it the 300.  The card will not have all the right boxes, you will not be insured and you will probably be out of time (for the 200) when you get back.  Again, no Brevet.  You have to do what you entered, no more: no less.

The same applies to Perms and, as Rich has just noted, you should tell the organiser before starting the ride which one you intend to ride.  This very topic was discussed in committee some months back, hence the request to inform the organiser of your plans (Arrivee 100 p2) before you start the ride.
At the end of the day, when all's said and done, there's usually a lot more said than done.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #303 on: 05 February, 2010, 06:04:53 pm »
The same applies to Perms and, as Rich has just noted, you should tell the organiser before starting the ride which one you intend to ride.  This very topic was discussed in committee some months back, hence the request to inform the organiser of your plans (Arrivee 100 p2) before you start the ride.
I think the intention of the rules is clear. However ...

Lets say I entered a 200k Normal perm, AND a 300k DIY perm (that used most of the 200 route) on the SAME day (with different organisers). If I then choose which to DNS on the day (after say 180k), what are the chances of me being found out? Do DNF/DNSs get cross-checked anywhere?

EDIT for SteveP: I don't know anyone that would actually do this! I was just joining in the speculative "What if...?" game. Just as, I suspect, blacksheep does not intend to claim 10 points (or whatever) for his hypothetical 204km multi-perm.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #304 on: 05 February, 2010, 07:12:48 pm »

Lets say I entered a 200k Normal perm, AND a 300k DIY perm (that used most of the 200 route) on the SAME day (with different organisers). If I then choose which to DNS on the day (after say 180k), what are the chances of me being found out? Do DNF/DNSs get cross-checked anywhere?

Where has INTEGRITY gone.  It is b***** difficult to cheat and get away with it. The guilt will out.  Last year, I could have shortened my own 500km Perm into a 400, when at the 350km point; but I had written the 500 route and set all my timings towards that aim.  I ended up with Trike Record 'by one point'.  I could have blown it.

It is so much easier to be honest.

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

« Reply #305 on: 06 February, 2010, 08:20:19 pm »
This can't be done though. If I entered 3 varying distance rides I would still have to inform the organiser which one I'd started before I started it and couldn't start 3 at the same time.

Rich

I think you'll find you're mistaken Rich. Organisers cannot refuse members entry to any of their events. So if there are more than one event on the day - AUKs can enter them all.

Again, I'm only re-itterating advice I was given - if the advice is incorrect, then I'm more than happy to stand corrected.

The BlackSheep flock were out today, and enjoyed a 200k venture into the princiality. Rode a few km with fellow AUK Jonathan Saville between Crickhowel and Talybont-on-Usk, himself also out on a perm.

There was a bit of snow near Goodrich - well it was the remains of a giant snowman actually. But there was plenty of snow still lying on the hill tops above Cymdu. That wind as very lazy, I think we were both very happy to find a PH at the finish and warm-up before then 2 minute cycle home.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

simonp

« Reply #306 on: 06 February, 2010, 08:35:16 pm »

Rich

I think you'll find you're mistaken Rich. Organisers cannot refuse members entry to any of their events. So if there are more than one event on the day - AUKs can enter them all.

I think you've just re-stated what Rich already said: that you can enter multiple events that run concurrently.  There is nothing in the rules against that.  But you are only supposed to start one of them.

« Reply #307 on: 06 February, 2010, 08:47:10 pm »

I think you've just re-stated what Rich already said: that you can enter multiple events that run concurrently.  There is nothing in the rules against that.  But you are only supposed to start one of them.

Point taken Bridget, not long got of the bike - and not paying attention or being specific enough. Surely if they've entered they're entitled to pick-up their brevet cards and ride wich event takes their fancy - if the routes follow similar paths, the rider gets stamps at all the controls they've nothing wrong. I'm not condoning their actions in any way shape or form, but it will be only a matter of time before somebody has a go at it - and gets kicked in the **ts - for doing nothing illegal but being a litle enterprising. But there's a lot of that happening at the mo.
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

AJB

« Reply #308 on: 07 February, 2010, 11:07:14 am »
RRTY #1 Mar 2009 The Upper Tea 200
RRTY #2 Apr 2009 Hailsham (Venta) 300
RRTY #3 May 2009 Essex Raid 200
RRTY #4 Jun 2009 Faries Half-Flat 200
RRTY #5 Jul 2009 Kent Corners 200
RRTY #6 Aug 2009 El's 400
RRTY #7 Sep 2009 Alan Furley's Up the Downs 200
RRTY #8 Oct 2009 The WOW 200
RRTY #9 Nov 2009 The Upper Thames 200
RRTY #10 Dec 2009 Mince Pies and Stollen 100 + ECE 100
RRTY #11 Jan 2010 El's Hailsham Liss 200
RRTY #12 Feb 2010 The Winter 1066 + ECE 100

Subject to normal validation just completed my first RRTY  :thumbsup: with my ECE'ed Winter 1066 ride yesterday.

Already started my second RRTY

RRTY 2.1 Jan 2010 The Willy Warmer 200

AJB

« Reply #309 on: 07 February, 2010, 11:10:02 am »
Congratulations AJB!

Should I also congratulate you on your invention of the time machine?  Today is only the 7th February :)

simonp

« Reply #310 on: 07 February, 2010, 12:08:46 pm »

Point taken Bridget, not long got of the bike - and not paying attention or being specific enough. Surely if they've entered they're entitled to pick-up their brevet cards and ride wich event takes their fancy - if the routes follow similar paths, the rider gets stamps at all the controls they've nothing wrong. I'm not condoning their actions in any way shape or form, but it will be only a matter of time before somebody has a go at it - and gets kicked in the **ts - for doing nothing illegal but being a litle enterprising. But there's a lot of that happening at the mo.

Look forwards to entries for both the 2004 and Scenic from lots of people this year then.  :)

AJB

« Reply #311 on: 07 February, 2010, 01:40:30 pm »
Congratulations AJB!

Should I also congratulate you on your invention of the time machine?  Today is only the 7th February :)

Sorry no time machine. List modified.

« Reply #312 on: 14 February, 2010, 10:59:04 am »
March          Invicta 200
April             Invicta 300
May             Chiddingstone Causeway 400
June            The Cotswold Expedition 200
July              South then North 600
Aug              Elan and Ystwyth 200
Sept            Midland Forests 200
Oct              Straight on at Rosies
Nov              Eurika
Dec              Tinsel and Lanes
Jan               The Poor Student
Feb               The Old Squit
Subject to validation, "It is done"
O'LEL what have I done!

Weirdy Biker

« Reply #313 on: 14 February, 2010, 11:14:57 am »
Is anyone attempting any "out of the ordinary" RRTYs?

I'm currently in 3/12 on a fixed RRTY and later this month hope to start a RRTY based on 300km rides.  These taste like one flavour above vanilla, maybe a chocolate chip.  Surely someone must be doing something that merits being deemed a Raspberry Ripple or Neopolitean?

(waits for TG to mention 600s...)

« Reply #314 on: 14 February, 2010, 11:16:29 am »
Nov              Eurika
Congratulations.

Commiserations (you do know, don't you, that you can't stop now!)

« Reply #315 on: 14 February, 2010, 11:36:38 am »
Nov              Eurika
Congratulations.

Commiserations (you do know, don't you, that you can't stop now!)
The decision will be do I stop now or carry on. I will carry on in any case until September.
O'LEL what have I done!

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #316 on: 25 February, 2010, 08:58:16 pm »
4th one accepted and closing in on 5th - which will be done in May ( fingers crossed)
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

3peaker

• RRTY Mad 42 up
« Reply #317 on: 28 February, 2010, 12:45:31 am »
Well, today is the last day where the winter weather may upset RRTYers, assuming March will see a return to normal service?  I have been lucky, grabbing 2x200 rides per mth through the winter, my 2nd Feb ride yesterday 27th.  Must say though, I opted out of a ride into Hereford, my Malvern Elgar Dean 200, having seen the weather forecast, opting for my Midlands Vale 200 thro' Leamington and Droitwich.  With an early start I was out after dawn and home before dusk, which really means spring is on its way.

Mind you, it has not all been plain sailing as I fell (combination of pothole avoidance at night on slimy muddy surface) 40kms from the end of my late Jan 200.  Had to finish through Stroud and Painswick on one leg and 1/2 a front brake; and then I could barely mount a bike for 3 weeks and resorted to Trike for a slow and painful (to mount) 200 in early Feb and MTB (super-low gears) for the Calendar Corker 100 (to keep AAARRTY alive). Solo yesterday suggests I am back to normal, so looking forward to the warmer weather and my next ride the Cheltenham Flyer 200, where I propose to carry a photo of Brenda Carlton, sadly taken from us after being hit by a car. I may then repeat my Gospel Pass 200, as recce for my Calendar version on 23 May.

RRTY has a lot to answer for!

SteveP
SteveP

Promoting : Cheltenham Flyer 200, Cider with Rosie 150, Character Coln 100.

marcus

« Reply #318 on: 28 February, 2010, 11:26:38 am »

I'm currently in 3/12 on a fixed RRTY and later this month hope to start a RRTY based on 300km rides.  These taste like one flavour above vanilla, maybe a chocolate chip.  Surely someone must be doing something that merits being deemed a Raspberry Ripple or Neopolitean?

I've done a 300 in each of the last 4 months and I might try to keep this going for a year. I guess I've done the hardest bit.

DanialW

« Reply #319 on: 28 February, 2010, 12:39:27 pm »
I eschewed an event in favour of cycling down to my partner's parents, to drop a birthday card off. I'm sat there right now, waiting for a colossal rost dinner to turn up. Well worth cycling 105km for.

« Reply #320 on: 28 February, 2010, 12:43:18 pm »

I'm going to ride 12 rides in 12 seperate months. :o

« Reply #321 on: 28 February, 2010, 06:06:15 pm »
I sneaked a FebruaryDIY ride in yesterday. 203 very flat kilometres on the Vale of York. Same route as I did in December. It's the Vale of York. Nothing more to say. That's 4/12 of RRTY 4. (Losing interest in RRTY, just riding for the fitness and the points, actually I might do a DIYRRTY, most unpure according to one yACFer)

« Reply #322 on: 28 February, 2010, 10:38:58 pm »
I sneaked a FebruaryDIY ride in yesterday. 203 very flat kilometres on the Vale of York. Same route as I did in December. It's the Vale of York. Nothing more to say. That's 4/12 of RRTY 4. (Losing interest in RRTY, just riding for the fitness and the points, actually I might do a DIYRRTY, most unpure according to one yACFer)

Well done sir, you've inspired me ! ! !

I think I might miss the last 12 minutes of Saving Private Ryan (currently on Channel 4 at the mo), and go out and ride my January 200.

« Reply #323 on: 01 March, 2010, 07:26:22 am »
I sneaked a FebruaryDIY ride in yesterday.

Me similarly on Saturday, a Mesh 200 which didn't go anywhere much (Bradford on Avon - Malmesbury - Cheddar - Shaftesbury - BoA), but (if/when validated) completes 5 years. To my surprise!

DanialW

« Reply #324 on: 01 March, 2010, 08:12:46 am »
Blummin' 'eck!

Well done, Tony!