Author Topic: Round The Year Randonneurs Log  (Read 425919 times)

Martin

Re: Round The Year Randonneurs Log
« Reply #425 on: 06 November, 2010, 09:58:01 pm »
2006       :thumbsup:   
2007       :thumbsup:
2008        :thumbsup:
2009         :'(

21.3.10  Man of Kent 200
10.4.10  Fenland DIY 200
9.5.10 Stonehenge 200
5.6.10 Flitchbikes 200
3.7.10 Kent Corners 200
2.8.10 Sedlescombe-Herne Bay perm 200
5.9.10 New Forest On and Off Shore 200
2.10.10 Upper Tea 200
6.11.10 Upper Thames 200

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #426 on: 07 November, 2010, 11:30:03 pm »
Jan 2007 - Dec 2007

Done.  :)

It's been a while ... Jan-Nov 2010 done.

I sort of fell out of love with long winter rides (and consequent dark cold wet bits), but I so enjoyed the Upper Thames yesterday that I'm almost looking forward to a December ride!

[might skip January; Jan 2010 was a bit too exciting for my liking :( ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

mikewigley

« Reply #427 on: 08 November, 2010, 01:38:51 pm »
might skip January; Jan 2010 was a bit too exciting for my liking

For 2011 I thought that, just for the novelty of it, I would insist that you ride your January event during January

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #428 on: 08 November, 2010, 03:14:31 pm »

For 2011 I thought that, just for the novelty of it, I would insist that you ride your January event during January

I don't suppose I could backdate a Dec 2010 ride to Dec 2009 could I?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #429 on: 08 November, 2010, 04:15:04 pm »

So you wouldn't rule out carrying a spare Jan-2010 ride over into Jan-2011 ;)

Mike, I was wondering how many RRTYs are ridden starting in January? I get the feeling that a disproportionate number do (despite the rules not requiring it ).
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #430 on: 08 November, 2010, 04:31:01 pm »
I'm currently most of the way through a RRtY, started in February (Australian evening 200, to minimise the Summer heat).  I'm hoping that the next couple of months aren't as dodgy as last year's.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

mikewigley

« Reply #431 on: 08 November, 2010, 04:37:44 pm »

Your ;) suggests you know the answer already

Mike, I was wondering how many RRTYs are ridden starting in January? I get the feeling that a disproportionate number do (despite the rules not requiring it ).

It would take too much effort to find out.  I expect that many RRTYs start in November by those mistakenly thinking the rides must all be within one Audax season.  However, most RRTYs start without the rider even knowing, only discovering when they are part way through that another award is on the cards

« Reply #432 on: 08 November, 2010, 05:40:38 pm »

Mine do - but just for the simple reason I joined AUK in a January (2007) not realising that this is a strange club (?) that runs its year from November  ;)
Behold the turtle - he only makes progress if he sticks his neck out.

« Reply #433 on: 15 November, 2010, 10:37:54 am »
Two rides in a row constitutes a restart.

Firstly there was the Venetian Nights where I caused some confusion by being helpful.

On Saturday it was the start of the winter DIY's. A nice enough trip out from the edge of Sheffield out through Bawtry and across the Trent basin to Scunthorpe (appreciably dismal) and along the A18 to Cleethorpes. The A18 is surprisingly pleasant at this time of year. Not too busy and fairly picturesque for the part of the country that it's in. After lunch and an indulgent roll down the sea front I headed for Market Rasen, battling the headwind on the leeward hills. Despite the adversity, I still managed to make up for some of my earlier navigational confusion. Fortunately the winds started to die off around 3pm as I approached Gainsborough and made the final push for home. Alas my unfamiliarity with my new local area and some youthful attention to road signs left me in a little disarray trying to avoid the A57 back to the finish. Finished in 12 1/2 hours and enjoyed myself.

Next month I'm pondering a 200k from Sheffield to Windemere to watch my partner ride in the North of England cyclocross championships. Saturday's headwinds have suggested that an entirely westbound route my carry a smidgen of folly to them.

Chris S

« Reply #434 on: 28 November, 2010, 08:09:23 pm »
OK, so weather forecasts are a really really expensive form of Tarot, and the Met Office is a job creation scheme for ex-RAF types who aren't quite ready to retire yet. These things I understand.

However.

They are now predicting this cold, snowy weather out to the end of December.

*sigh*

Have I really got the appetite for another winter of ice, snow, wind, solidified water bottles, numb feet, post-control shivering apocalypses, and hour after hour in the dark and cold lanes?

Mr Wigley. You have created a monster.

Yours Sincerely
Chris "47 months" S

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #435 on: 29 November, 2010, 02:42:32 am »
Come on young Chris- Our Jan 2010 ride will live in your memory for ever. So if we can get another one in- then that is 2 memories for when you are really old!!

What are you lot playing at with weather - i am going to make every effort to get my 2 Dec in this week - Weds -Round The Bay - and Sat to cape Paterson - then Nips 2 can be ECE or not -depending on weather and roads
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #436 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:42:42 am »
What are you lot playing at with weather...

Just to reassure Fb about this - we are absolutely delighted not to be having to ride in the relentless searing blaze!

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #437 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:01:09 am »
+1
I did muse to myself on the train whether the aim of RRTY was to ride 12 consecutive months or to ride in the grimmer, colder, icier, darker months.  (Though I seem to remember a very mild a couple of years back.)

The good thing is that having failed to make it to York (some of that white stuff) and broken my rrty then I don't have to bother to do anything in December.  :)
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #438 on: 29 November, 2010, 10:34:51 am »
You can start all over again in December
I need to do the Manningtree Perm With Wendy
as the Great Kingshill ride this weekend isn't looking to sensible to ride
(But that could all change!)
Extra company most welcome

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #439 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:43:56 am »
My vague plan, had I managed York, was either (i) ECE the Nips 2 or (ii) slot in something at the end of Dec once kiddies are with their dad.

I am a bit slower and more hill averse too, on account of having decided to audax on fixed some of the time.

Dunno how that fits.  As there is less need I may just see what the weather does.  It took 15 mins extra to get to work this morning on account of all the cars in the way.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #440 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:56:01 am »
My fallback is a 100km time trial to Hungerford and back. Mostly down the A4 with a detour round Slough & Maidenhead. Like Audaxing but not as we know it.

Chris S

« Reply #441 on: 30 November, 2010, 10:59:26 am »
My fallback is a 100km time trial to Hungerford and back. Mostly down the A4 with a detour round Slough & Maidenhead. Like Audaxing but not as we know it.

Every RRTYers Box Of Rides should contain at least one like this. Main roads, OAB, dull as hell, but gets the job done on a winter's day, or when you've been laid up with flu until the last day of the month...

« Reply #442 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:14:16 am »
Postponing any notion of my RRtY ride this weekend, even if it is ridable, I'm likely to be skiing the Peak District instead.

There's something else I should be doing as well. Can't remember. I think that there's something coming up that I'm supposed to buy something for that doesn't involve bike stuff.

Nope, it's gone, can't be as important as RRtY.

LEE

« Reply #443 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:44:22 am »
Hoping for a break in the weather on Dec 12th.  That will be ride #3 in my 2nd RRTY.

I said that one RRTY was enough but now I feel guilty if I don't keep it going.

I'm fortunate that the South has weather more conducive to winter RRTY riding but it's still tough to get through to April and some "pleasure" rides.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #444 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:46:29 am »
What are you lot playing at with weather...

Just to reassure Fb about this - we are absolutely delighted not to be having to ride in the relentless searing blaze!

An Audaxing friend living in Melbourne mentioned something about a cold, wet Summer coming after a cold, wet Winter this year.  Still miles better than the weather in Larnden.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #445 on: 30 November, 2010, 11:47:13 am »
Tinsel & Lanes was meant to be my final ride of my first Round The Year..... Work and Crimbo means my time in December is already limited, so time to consider a main road bash.....
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #446 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:15:15 pm »
I'm planning a main road bash on either 11th or 18th. South Anston (just west of Worksop), Gainsborough, Louth, Horncastle, Market Rasen, South Anston (pending approval from Mr. F). Takers will be welcome.

AndyH

« Reply #447 on: 30 November, 2010, 12:52:26 pm »
Hoping for a break in the weather on Dec 12th.  That will be ride #3 in my 2nd RRTY.

I said that one RRTY was enough but now I feel guilty if I don't keep it going.

I'm fortunate that the South has weather more conducive to winter RRTY riding but it's still tough to get through to April and some "pleasure" rides.

I should be on this one. Got a small collection of perm cards for local rides and an ECE of the Primrose Path for February (you'd love that one LEE!). Currently 6 months into my first RRTY, but the hard bit is yet to come. There. I've announced it. Damn I was keeping it secret.

« Reply #448 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:00:35 pm »
I'm planning a main road bash on either 11th or 18th. South Anston (just west of Worksop), Gainsborough, Louth, Horncastle, Market Rasen, South Anston (pending approval from Mr. F). Takers will be welcome.
If you do the 18th I may well be up for that.
I seem to be a little overbooked for December and have as yet failed to persuade my host that 200k would be a fine way to spend Friday, where it will be a balmy 7 degrees. O well. Fingers crossed for better weather in the 2nd half of December.

Assasin

• It can only get better
« Reply #449 on: 30 November, 2010, 01:06:54 pm »
I might have to do the Manningtree perm on the 29th/30th
If Great Kingshill is snowbound on Sunday 5th

Some company would be nice.