Author Topic: New products from Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia  (Read 4132 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: New products from Mega-Global Fruit Corporation of Cupertino, USAnia
« Reply #25 on: 23 September, 2019, 11:25:34 am »
I buy a new phone every three or four years, I went from an iPhone 6 to XR back in January (there was a decent trade-in deal with Apple), it'll do me for a while. I think most people skip at least one model these days, enticements to upgrade get smaller. Really, another megapixel. Wow, my photos were really missing that, here's a thousand quid.

I like my Apple watch, though I'm not sure what else you can add. I did the ECG thing and discovered that I wasn't dead. Having established that, I've moved on to telling the time.

Seems you can use your FruitCo watch to find your JesusPhone, as a chap who'd left his on a bench at Phoenix Sky Harbor shewed on Friday.  Just when me and t'other bloke sitting on the bench were eyeing it up chiz.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #26 on: 23 September, 2019, 12:00:07 pm »
Tbh, that feature is quite useful as I'm a serious phone misplacer. I know it's somewhere in the house.

Let's just say it isn't the first time I've found it in the fridge.

It's also useful for logging into my Macbook since it makes it look like I have magic powers.

« Reply #27 on: 28 September, 2019, 05:11:04 pm »
Having switched from a Touch ID phone to a Face ID phone, I’m very please to report that it unlocks fine when the phone is mounted on your handlebars, even when the face of the phone is wet, and even when my floppy wet hair is partly in front of my face, and without me having to do any special head manoeuvres.

The downside is the compulsory “swipe to unlock” gesture on these phones is very hard to do on a wet phone, and there’s no way round it. So you can unlock it but not get in.

They’ve also added a feature that detects moisture in the charging port and refuses to charge if so (there’s an override button). This should save my cables getting corroded like they used to.

ian

« Reply #28 on: 28 September, 2019, 07:37:01 pm »
FaceID doesn't work in the bath. I presume it messes with the infra-red. Probably awful for the Finns, since they spend eight hours a day in a sauna. They probably invented the mobile phone in a sauna.

« Reply #29 on: 29 September, 2019, 11:44:05 am »
I succumb to the blandishments and upgraded to iPhone 11 Pro for the camera.

It is extremely good and the portrait mode is brilliant,  I look far more handsome!

ian

« Reply #30 on: 29 September, 2019, 11:59:54 am »
Apropos of nothing, I was reading an article about Tiananmen Square the other day and the efforts photographers and journalists had to go through from bathroom sink development to rudimentary scanning of negatives and twenty minutes of sending a single picture over an acoustic coupler and phone line. That was 1989.

In 2019, you can take a 14-megapixel picture of your knob and inadvertently share it with everyone on your contact list in mere seconds.

« Reply #31 on: 29 September, 2019, 12:04:51 pm »
Is that from personal experience Ian?

ian

« Reply #32 on: 29 September, 2019, 12:56:14 pm »
Absolutely not. I don't have a contacts list now. As per the judge's order.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #33 on: 30 September, 2019, 09:23:58 pm »
Lol :) You do make me larf.
(and I don't even have any iThings. Time to leave the thread!)
Everyone's favourite windbreak

« Reply #34 on: 18 January, 2020, 09:31:21 pm »
My iPhone 11 Pro just did 12 hours of screen-on GPS navigation on one charge, with all the radios enabled, streaming music and podcasts to Bluetooth headphones. In zero degree temperatures in an area with far away phone towers.

Dark mode (it’s OLED) seems to help enormously.

With previous LCD iPhones I’d be pushing my luck expecting 5 hours.