Author Topic: What have you done on the plot today?  (Read 249361 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: What have you done on the plot today?
« Reply #1050 on: 22 March, 2020, 05:51:30 pm »
cheers, Magnolia did spring to mind, but it was the flowers that threw me.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1051 on: 22 March, 2020, 07:01:49 pm »
cheers, Magnolia did spring to mind, but it was the flowers that threw me.

Yes, we saw one of those yesterday in someone's front garden. Looked beautiful, especially in the spring(?) sunshine.

Busy few days on the veg plot, trying to make up for lost time due to the wet winter.
 Cut down an old and rather ratty apple tree - soon to be replaced by a new one in its place.
 Re-jigged the plot rotation a bit, which meant transplanting a load of strawberry plants.
 Dug over 4 or 5 of the deep beds; a couple of them a still a bit soggy and compacted, so 'fluffed them up' to allow drying out.
 I'll need to fork them over at least once more, and maybe add some compost, before they're fit for seeding.
 Spuds are chitting nicely in the spare (cold) bedroom.
 Sowed numerous seeds (lettuce, leeks, tomatoes, and other salady things) in trays to be kept in the sunny porch.
 Moved sprouts cage to a new bed in line with rotation (they need a cage to avoid being used as a pigeon cafeteria). 
 Much tidying and re-arranging, with the garden beginning to look ready for a new cropping year. 

Even with the current situation, this first surge of preparation does lift the spirits. I hope we can be a bit more self-sufficient this year - and it may help to cut down the shopping trips.  Couldn't help thinking of the wartime slogan "Dig for Victory".

Oh, and I even managed and hour or so on the bike in the warmth of the afternoon. Great.

« Reply #1052 on: 22 March, 2020, 07:26:18 pm »
Well, I'm still using our spuds and (frozen) beans. Think this year allotmenteering will be beneficial on many fronts. It is possible, also, that theft becomes more of a thing, too :(  ::-)

« Reply #1053 on: 22 March, 2020, 08:26:00 pm »
Yesterday I cut up a large tree for an elderly neighbour - it had fallen during the storms, and the people who were supposed to be coming to sort it weren't. She had planted it when she moved in 50 years ago.

I went to the allotment today - cut the grass on the paths, weeded around the garlic onions, broad beans and asparagus. Planted a few asparagus in some spaces that had formed in the beds.

The frost hasn't broken the heavy soil up this year, so I'm going to try starting stuff in modules, that I would normally plant seeds straight in the ground. Beetroot, carrots and parsnips now sewn in micro-modules (510 per tray) in the greenhouse.  :o
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #1054 on: 24 March, 2020, 09:35:10 am »
Yeah looks like a magnolia. I have one and it's flowering currently as well.

Keeping this a grown up conversation what are peoples thoughts on going to the allotment during this lock down. I can easily stay away from others it's just it is 3 miles from my house and not sure if covered by new rules

ElyDave

« Reply #1055 on: 24 March, 2020, 10:07:15 am »
exercise? Food shopping?

Doens't seem unreasonable to me

If I had an allotment I'd be there

EDIT, and now I can't go an buy any flower seends or bedding plants, will need to see what I can do online

« Reply #1056 on: 24 March, 2020, 10:22:38 am »
Done some googling and apparently Gove has said allotments are fine.

« Reply #1057 on: 24 March, 2020, 11:05:17 am »
The National Allotment Society has been issuing guidelines, which it seems sensible to stick to: https://www.nsalg.org.uk/news/covid19-information/

I saw the Gove interview this morning, and he seemed keen that continuing to use an allotment was good so long as guidelines were followed.

« Reply #1058 on: 24 March, 2020, 11:16:59 am »
I am a little worried that in 3 or 4 months when they're is actually stuff growing on the allotment people may help themselves as my allotment isn't a gated one. I think when I go ill avoid the toilets as that's the only communal area. Take a bucket and make some compost activator

Going to expand the garden veg area as a back up

« Reply #1059 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:35:01 am »
Got contact from our allotment association. It's open but the toilets are shut and strict instructions on use of communal mower and restricted visitors/helpers

Means I'll go up without kids for a while...... I could take them  but they tend to go for a wander around the allotment site seeing what's going on which isn't ideal and I'd also like some space

« Reply #1060 on: 25 March, 2020, 08:37:17 pm »
Our site committee sent an email to everyone saying that the site's open, but we should only walk or cycle to the site* - I can imagine they caused some raised blood pressure with that!
*Mrs M being disabled will ignore that
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #1061 on: 25 March, 2020, 09:20:13 pm »
I painted the pallet built shed today, it looks rather fine.

spindrift

« Reply #1062 on: 26 March, 2020, 07:29:22 pm »
Wouldn't call it a lawn exactly:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/SF9sdU6MUMVgN3A4A

« Reply #1063 on: 28 March, 2020, 11:20:40 am »
Up the allotment this morning. Beautiful morning and till not long before I left absolutely deserted. Took my Chillington hoe and a hand towel which covered most bases while being easy to carry on the bike.

Got quite a bit planted but will need to start watering soon as it's getting dry which is hard to believe after the winter we hsd. Beans I've planted in bog roll inners at home are doing well but these may go in the garden patch.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #1064 on: 28 March, 2020, 11:52:16 am »
Yesterday.
First row of peas in. Second row will be 3 weeks later.  Broad beans will go in front of them today, hopefully.  Bed for carrots, beetroot and kale prepped and readied.
Pinched out the tops of the sweet pea seedlings that I sowed late February. They're still in their pots in the utility room window, and will be for some time yet.
Later today, second lawn mower of the year. Again, hopefully.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1065 on: 28 March, 2020, 12:26:55 pm »
Most of the heavy work done, only one more bed to dig over. Which is just as well because tendons in my wrist are suffering. Now waiting for the soil to warm up a bit before sowing/planting frenzy can begin.

Road riding does my wrist no favours, so may have to turbo, which is OK by me with the renewed chill in the air ;)

ElyDave

« Reply #1066 on: 28 March, 2020, 07:00:22 pm »
Lawn mown today and cuttings used to mulch one of the veg beds, try adn get the soil warmed up a bit.  Also did some more remohal of red-hot pokers and a sprin prune of the standard fuscia that hadn't lost its leaves over the winter as it was so mild

Haven't planted anything else yet, will wait til week after next when I'm off work. I'm going to need to buy flower seeds online I think his year.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1067 on: 28 March, 2020, 07:20:20 pm »
I'm going to need to buy flower seeds online I think his year.
I'm lacking broad, French and runner bean seeds, but online sellers seem to have largely run out, or can't promise delivery soon. Reluctant to go to shops (those that are open), so will ask around neighbours, or even at local allotments to see if I can scrounge a few.  Have most other things, though.
Still a bit chilly out there for sowing much.

ElyDave

« Reply #1068 on: 28 March, 2020, 09:44:29 pm »
yes, that's why I'm not bothering too much, will focus on clearing and structural changes for now.  In my experience later sewings tend to catch up eventually

« Reply #1069 on: 28 March, 2020, 10:17:11 pm »
I went to the allotment and planted early potatoes (Chalotte) and more broad beans - I saved a large bucket full of seed beans from last year as they cropped heavier than I had time to pick.

I'm going to struggle with dwarf beans, as the variety I have found best is Safari, which our local pet & gardening shop (Brands for those that know Ely) sell by weight from a bulk bag - except they didn't have any last week when I tried to get some, and say they probably won't have them. I could have saved some from last year, but the pods go really hard and sharp when they dry, making it diffucult to shell.

offcumden

• Oh, no!
« Reply #1070 on: 29 March, 2020, 09:26:47 pm »
Erected an old flexible plastic cold frame over part of one of my deep beds, like a super-size cloche.  Nothing in there yet, but it should help to warm up the soil a bit before sowing stuff.  Most of the original pegs supplied to hold down the 'skirt' had either got lost or rusted away, so I searched for something else. Tried an old spoke bent over at one end, but the recently-dug soil did not hold it - and windy weather is forecast.  Bit more rummaging in the garage turned up some tatty mudguards saved for, er, a rainy day. Realistically, I'll never use the guards again, but 'Eureka', the stays were just what I wanted: double pronged pegs long enough to hold the plastic firmly! Managed to find 6, so the job's a good 'un.

With sore wrist tendons, and a low tolerance for the biting nor'easter, that was enough for today, so I went indoors and put the kettle on . . .

« Reply #1071 on: 01 April, 2020, 07:41:31 pm »
I have turned the compost heap! Or, to be slightly more truthful, I have moved the compost from the middle bay to the left hand one, as it is all ready for use.  One of tomorrow's tasks will be to move the contents of the right hand, collecting bay into the middle, hopefully mixing it up as I go.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #1072 on: 01 April, 2020, 07:59:01 pm »
I'm going to struggle with dwarf beans, as the variety I have found best is Safari, which our local pet & gardening shop (Brands for those that know Ely) sell by weight from a bulk bag - except they didn't have any last week when I tried to get some, and say they probably won't have them. I could have saved some from last year, but the pods go really hard and sharp when they dry, making it diffucult to shell.

I cleaned an did some work on my 'potting shed' (as mentioned on the fettling thread), and discovered I had half a carboard gravy tub of dwarf bean seeds from 18 months ago.  :D
I hope I can get some to grow.

« Reply #1073 on: 01 April, 2020, 08:32:47 pm »
BTW, I'm on a couple of Facebook groups for allotments and 'Growing your own', and am getting fed up with all the newbie stupid questions. I'm sure most of the answers are on t'interweb already.

Todays gem, was someone asking how they get seeds out of the potatoes they had bought...  :facepalm:

« Reply #1074 on: 02 April, 2020, 06:44:13 am »
I think you make potatoes waffles and the seeds are the bits where the holes push out?