Author Topic: Recommend me a tool to visualise space allocation  (Read 1208 times)

Recommend me a tool to visualise space allocation
« on: 19 November, 2020, 11:43:17 am »
Hi all, I am working on a project where we have a total space allocation in a building (30,000sqm) and we are having to consider different scenarios that use up this space allocation in different ways. For example playing off the balance between office space, laboratory space and storage space.

I'd really like some sort of interactive tool (maybe in Excel) that shows our total allocation and how if we change a space allocation for one component that this is reflected in all of the other components.

I can visualise this in my mind, but I can't figure out a way to do it. Surely there must already be a tool out there, but my Google-fu is weak!

Re: Recommend me a tool to visualise space allocation
« Reply #1 on: 22 November, 2020, 06:52:41 am »
I presume your visualization will become  drawn plans. There are a few articles about calculating complex shape area using  MS Visio.
http://visguy.com/vgforum/index.php?topic=3571.0

*Yes, I do realize Visio costs ££'s
** I'm sure you realise there is a difference between 'space' and a useful allocation that enables efficient workflows.

« Reply #2 on: 22 November, 2020, 03:00:39 pm »
Are you looking for a floor plan, or three percentages that turn into a bar charts?
If charts, I’m imagining an axis of “how many” rather than area. Maybe shaded with standard sized desks / pulp sci-fi labs / filing cabinets? Maybe there’s a scale of pokey / average / Brobdingnagian for the units of office and lab space to further complicate matters?
I’d reach for spreadsheet and fall back to plotly, but haven’t actually seen one like this ready rolled.

« Reply #3 on: 08 December, 2020, 12:27:49 pm »
I found the answer to this in Excel as a tree diagram.

« Reply #4 on: 08 December, 2020, 04:54:39 pm »
If it was only a hard drive, WinDirStat would have been the perfect answer.

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #5 on: 13 December, 2020, 08:14:06 pm »
If it was only a hard drive, WinDirStat would have been the perfect answer.

I came here to suggest WinDirStat (or the mac equiv disk inventory X)

Was disappointed to find a discussion on buildings ;D ;D