Author Topic: The mysterious case of not requiring a password to access a wireless router  (Read 837 times)

Ive just changed our wireless router in the loft to a new one.  On most of our devices, 2 phones, tablet and laptop, I had to enter the new WPA password to gain access.  But on our W10 PC I didn't need to, it was already connected when I went to do it.

I feel I ought to go in and change the factory password if only to stop it working so I can enter a password to reconnect.

Any thoughts?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
I expect WPS is somehow involved.

Is your laptop W10 and do you use the Microsoft account?  I wonder if Microsoft account is now "clever" enough to somehow manage passwords across devices.  It would make me feel uneasy.

I have resisted setting up a Microsoft account personally.

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
Yes, that's probably it. If you sync a Microsith account across devices they remember that sort of thing.
Apple do it too, apparently.
Everyone's favourite windbreak

Yes, laptop is W10 and I do have a Microsoft account but it's on a defunct email address (business account, now closed) that I no longer use or can access.  Didn't think the home PC knew about it but maybe at some point it did.

It would explain it anyway.

Thanks

Yes, that's probably it. If you sync a Microsith account across devices they remember that sort of thing.
Apple do it too, apparently.

They do, as I found out (and questioned) today! I set up a mesh WiFi using TP Link Deco 5’s. The iPhone and iPad needed passwords, the MacBook didn’t.

Sadly, neither Garmin will connect, they show it as an unsecured network, but will not connect. I’ve had to leave the router’s WiFi on so I can easily upload rides. Yes, I can do it via Garmin Connect, but I just like stopping at the gate and pressing “save”.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)