Author Topic: Win10: Apps not running properly  (Read 1186 times)

Win10: Apps not running properly
« on: 19 November, 2020, 06:20:07 pm »
hi - Got an unusal prob.

Setup:
Win10, and display extended to a 2nd monitor.

Problem:
When I start sql*developer by double click from taskbar, it would appear to start but I cannot connect to it. If I hover above the taskbar icon for sql*dev,  it shows its running but is just white'd out. If I then hover above the white'd out thumbnail for it, it doesn't hightlight any app.

So, I leave that "running" and right click to start another SQL*Dev.   This used to work.  But now this also becomes white'd out and I have to start a 3rd SQL*Dev before I can see it, (not white'd out) and use it.

Its only SQL*Dev that seems to be impacted.  ANy thoughts ?

Re: Win10: Apps not running properly
« Reply #1 on: 19 November, 2020, 06:31:04 pm »
You say app, so this is one downloaded from the Windows store? SQL developer brings up Oracle downloads in search but presume you don’t mean that as you specifically said app, which the Oracle stuff isn’t.

Afasoas

« Reply #2 on: 19 November, 2020, 06:39:20 pm »
I suspect that something is hanging the execution of the apps startup process.

Does it try and connect to a database on startup?

Perhaps you need to find the settings for the app (open file explorer, type %appdata% into the address bar, look for <softwarevendor>/sqldeveloper or some such. For example, I'd look for mozilla/firefox if I were looking for firefox settings. If you can find where the settings live, you can temporarily rename the folder they live in and see if that makes it better.

Of course, it might be stuffing them into the registery. Or trying to phone home. You could try using sysinternals process monitor to watch the process when you start it up and see what it is doing. You will need to apply a filter that restricts it to the executable that runs when you start SQL*Dev, otherwise it's output is hellish noisy.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #3 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:06:41 pm »
Which SQL Developer tool is this?

The Oracle Java based one for connecting to Oracle 10+
Or some other tool with a similar name?

And if it's some other tool that I'm sure I've heard of and even used before, who wrote it because I can't find it via google as the * just gets binned and I get a load of results for my preffered Oracle IDE.

« Reply #4 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:16:27 pm »
Sorry - my mis use of “apps”.  It’s the oracle Java based tool

I’ll try what you suggest afasoas.   It doesn’t try to connect to a db on startup

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #5 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:19:56 pm »
Try running it from a command line, could show any error messages.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #6 on: 19 November, 2020, 07:21:01 pm »
hm, ok there's no known Win10 compatibility problem then as I use it most days without this issue.

Thoughts:
Are you using the version with the JRE included, or using the JRE in your JAVA_HOME

Which version of SQL Developer? (although you need to see the splash screen to get that)

Worst case you can always uninstall and reinstall.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:03:17 pm »
[CTRL-ALT-DEL] to bring up Task Manager in Win10 (just like every version back to Win3), see what's running (and how many instances), stop any process that's getting in the way.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #8 on: 20 November, 2020, 02:26:20 pm »
[CTRL-ALT-DEL] to bring up Task Manager in Win10 (just like every version back to Win3), see what's running (and how many instances), stop any process that's getting in the way.

Ctrl+Shift+Escape brings it up without having to select it from a separate screen. Or right click the task bar and select "Task manager".
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #9 on: 20 November, 2020, 05:55:39 pm »

Yes, 3 instances of it running.

I tried running the Program Compatibility Troubleshooter which has an option for program is not displaying correctly. It shows that the program uses Display setting: Scaling on high DPI
This is at system level, seems I cannot change it to something else at a program level as we dont get admin priv on our laptops.
(this is on 32bit win10)

« Reply #10 on: 20 November, 2020, 06:00:51 pm »
Oh - More messing about: From the task manager I tried bring to front on each of these.  The "white'd out" ones didnt appear.  But then I tried to maximise it and it appeared.

Stopping them all and restarting seems to work normally now (dont have to start 3 copies)  Somehow it/I must have saved the size of the program on startup as minimised.  Well now its sorted.
Thanks all.

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #11 on: 20 November, 2020, 09:49:49 pm »
Oh - More messing about: From the task manager I tried bring to front on each of these.  The "white'd out" ones didnt appear.  But then I tried to maximise it and it appeared.

Stopping them all and restarting seems to work normally now (dont have to start 3 copies)  Somehow it/I must have saved the size of the program on startup as minimised.  Well now its sorted.
Thanks all.

Hm, that rings a bell actually.