Author Topic: Routes around Hythe  (Read 343 times)

Routes around Hythe
« on: 10 April, 2024, 11:00:42 am »
We're going to visit relatives in Hythe next week.  However it's not a total write off, I'm hoping to fit in a bike ride or two.  So, any suggestions for:

- 30 - 40 mile routes starting / finishing in Hythe?

- any good cycle friendly cafes?

- and conversely, any rat runs or roads to avoid?

Any suggestions welcome - I'll be on a Dahon folder with 20" wheels and fairly slick road tyres, so gentle off road would be feasible but not serious gravel or mud.
Sunshine approaching from the South.

First time in 1,000 years.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
Re: Routes around Hythe
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2024, 11:10:04 am »
The Royal Military Canal immediately springs to mind...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2024, 11:21:57 am »
Indeed, Royal military Canal and then into the marshes to a suitable point then heading for the End of the line Cafe at Dungeness before following the coastal  cyclepaths/ roads back to Hythe.  Should be around a nice 50km ride.  Its quite a steep climb if you go North from Hythe.
Clever enough to know I'm not clever enough.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2024, 11:26:21 am »
You could go over to Tenterden or Appledore which are attractive - as long as you avoid the A2070 it's pretty quiet in this corner of Kent.

Dungeness is pretty cool - https://www.visitengland.com/experience/explore-dungeness 

Folkestone is worth a visit too.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2024, 12:23:36 pm »
The lanes on Romney Marsh are great, don't miss St Thomas Becket church at Fairfield. I keep meaning to stop and walk out to it one day.
Dungeness is interesting and the cafe totally adequate with an outside seating area where I think you can take your bike if it isn't too crowded (eg a weekday). I have cycled the sea wall from Littlestone to St Mary's to avoid some main road, it's not strictly cycle path but done with courtesy is unlikely to cause too much offence. Also as already said Folkestone is worth a visit and there is a seafront cycle route along from Hythe.

« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2024, 07:34:32 pm »
Good suggestions thank you all.  I found a couple of routes on komoot which take in most of the above, looks like a good opportunity to explore some roads that I haven't cy led before.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2024, 09:53:46 pm »
If you go on the canal ride, be sure to check out  UNIT 51 at the far end, near the car park, a great micro pub, selling good ales and good food, from a , well, sort of warehouse unit, with outside seating, very popular, sells beer from the micro brewery a few units down. Fun place to be.

Go the other way, and you can visit Folkstone, with a coastal track across the beach. The Harbour  arm is also a good place to be, with live music, eateries, beer stalls, etc, also check out Kipps ale house, at the top of the old cobbled street, live music on a Sunday sometimes, and good selection of beers and Belgian type beers. Enjoy.

« Reply #7 on: 11 April, 2024, 01:44:26 pm »
If you go on the canal ride, be sure to check out  UNIT 51 at the far end, near the car park, a great micro pub, selling good ales and good food, from a , well, sort of warehouse unit, with outside seating, very popular, sells beer from the micro brewery a few units down. Fun place to be.

Go the other way, and you can visit Folkstone, with a coastal track across the beach. The Harbour  arm is also a good place to be, with live music, eateries, beer stalls, etc, also check out Kipps ale house, at the top of the old cobbled street, live music on a Sunday sometimes, and good selection of beers and Belgian type beers. Enjoy.

Some tempting suggestions, thank you