Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625773 times)

Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5300 on: 02 October, 2014, 03:23:23 pm »
I'm quite anal about locking things.   #1 cub often takes teh rise but he's managed to leave his car unlocked or his keys outside more than once.   Next time I'm going to have his car moved.   He'll learn not to mess with me...  :D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5301 on: 02 October, 2014, 03:53:25 pm »
Friend of mine managed to leave his keys in the ignition, with the engine idling, on his parents' driveway overnight.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #5302 on: 02 October, 2014, 06:37:11 pm »
Dr Larrington would sometimes deliberately leave her keys in the ignition of her Mini.

In Brixton.

It was never even broken into.  Clearly the local tea leaves suspcted a trap by the babylon.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5303 on: 02 October, 2014, 07:09:45 pm »
The one time I left my front door open, it involved more pints of Abbot Ale Reserve than I can remember. Other times I have left my car keys in the lock, but we are in a cul-de-sac in Warwick, so it's hardly featured regularly on Crimewatch.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

ian

« Reply #5304 on: 03 October, 2014, 09:52:56 am »
I live in a perpetual state of anxiety about things I'm sure I forgot. Because my brain is mostly elsewhere and I regularly do things with no real recall (did I just cycle through Streatham?) that puts me at a disadvantage. Mostly I have done what I think I didn't but I've not booked in the memory, it's much the same to my brain as not doing them. Every bloody time I ride off on my bike I have to stop, open the damn pannier and check I've not left my keys by the stand. You see someone half-way down New Fetter Lane digging through his Ortlieb, that's me. The patio door to my office has been unlocked for about two weeks. Oops.

« Reply #5305 on: 04 October, 2014, 03:38:21 pm »
Lady on today's round: I deliver the mail. That's all I do, nothing else. When you collar me about a letter you posted on Tuesday that hasn't been delivered yet, what do you want me to do, eh? I tell you, politely, that it's nothing I can help with, but give you a card with a number on to call, which is about all I can constructively do. Don't thereafter try and give me details of your woes, as there is bugger all I can do. I know you wanted someone to moan at, but it wasn't going to be me on a rainy Saturday morning. Kthxbai.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5306 on: 05 October, 2014, 06:56:29 am »
Why the fucking fuck of fuckhamptonshire has my subwoofer suddenly started making an unpleasant farting noise ???

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5307 on: 05 October, 2014, 09:57:40 am »
I'm quite anal about locking things.

You don't want to put a key there.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

ian

« Reply #5308 on: 05 October, 2014, 07:47:49 pm »
Sunday night is bath night. I follow the quaint English tradition of being cleaner than the French and ensuring I bathe at least once each week (I reserve the right to shower in between, there's only so much you can hide with a can of Lynx Old Corpse).

Or I would if the boiler wasn't making a continuous whoosh-whoosh-whoosh noise that seems to be doing nothing to warm the water and instead sounds like it's making long, slow love to a small locomotive. Leastways the big blue light is gone and the display flashes random numbers. Five degrees. 10. 21. 14. 11. At least there was enough hot water in the tank for a shower. There is an electrical immersion heater backup but it's an ancient bakelite switch that looks like something Dr Frankenstein would flip. I don't want to spend the rest of my evening trying to turf a monster out of the house so I'm not touching it. Bloody thing isn't even giving me a cryptic fault code that I can cross-reference with the manual before saying something suitably sage like 'it's seems to me that it's the tertiary thermistor in the backup heat exchange stack' and make like I know something about this kind of shit, which of course I don't. Thing could run on magic as far as I know. I hate boilers. I swear their normal function is to be broken.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5309 on: 05 October, 2014, 08:35:07 pm »
Been away for the weekend and the bloody wallpaper is all rippling and mouldy again. No idea if that's because there's still a leak (bloody better not be after having the slater at it already this month) or just because it didn't dry out properly the last time and it's been chilly all weekend. Tokens, I haz them  >:(  >:(  >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5310 on: 05 October, 2014, 10:25:12 pm »
My Twitterfeed informs me that Oxford Street in That Lahndan is closed between Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road while they install Christmas lights.
It's still the first week of October FFS!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5311 on: 05 October, 2014, 10:38:30 pm »
My Twitterfeed informs me that Oxford Street in That Lahndan is closed between Oxford Circus and Tottenham Court Road while they install Christmas lights.
It's still the first week of October FFS!

Yeah, they're a month late!   :facepalm:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5312 on: 05 October, 2014, 10:57:09 pm »
They're certainly lagging behind Harrods and Selfridges but lights before half-term is too early!

« Reply #5313 on: 05 October, 2014, 11:17:12 pm »
My right wrist is knackered.  It's been tweaking since I took a wrong turn in France last month, & rather than turn back I lifted my fully loaded bike over a metre high railing.   I've got a neoprene wrist brace somewhere, but can I find it ?   >:( 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5314 on: 06 October, 2014, 12:32:31 am »
They're certainly lagging behind Harrods and Selfridges but lights before half-term Advent is too early!

FTFY...

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #5315 on: 06 October, 2014, 08:00:28 pm »
Been away for the weekend and the bloody wallpaper is all rippling and mouldy again. No idea if that's because there's still a leak (bloody better not be after having the slater at it already this month) or just because it didn't dry out properly the last time and it's been chilly all weekend. Tokens, I haz them  >:(  >:(  >:(

Been pishing with rain all day today and the wallpaper is trying to peel itself off. Guess it's defo a leak then >:(
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5316 on: 06 October, 2014, 08:02:54 pm »
My tourer is developing a liking for chain suck changing between the big and middle ring. The ring is looking slightly worn, so I decided to replace it - except the spare ring I bought last year is of course the wrong size.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #5317 on: 06 October, 2014, 09:05:25 pm »
I'm sure I got custody of some of the tyre levers.  Can I find a single one, anywhere?

Can I shite.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #5318 on: 07 October, 2014, 11:22:06 am »
I haven't got enough clothes on for an unheated open plan office.
I'm generally all in favour of extra jumpers and open windows rather than more heating and air conditioning, but that doesn't help if they're not here.
(The windows are here, letting out the heat from the radiators immediately below them, it's the extra jumpers I'm missing).

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5319 on: 08 October, 2014, 01:42:29 pm »
Just spent the last five minutes extracting small fragments of tooth from a piece of chewing gum. Looks like it's off to the dentists for me :(

Extra moan,  dentist's reception shuts for lunch between 1pm and 2pm apparently according to the recorded message. Would be nice if you put that on the website.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5320 on: 08 October, 2014, 02:11:44 pm »
I need new winter gloves. Not full-on arctic gloves, I have those, but something for the 5c down to zero, with rain, days.

Aldi have some. Cheap, at £5. Only, the biggest size, large, is too small for me (I don't have big hands).

I call in Evans at lunchtime. My life, their gloves are expensive. *start* at £24. Almost none of them have any reinforcing on the thumb web - where drop bar riders press down. Apart from £40-£50 gloves.

I try on some cheapish Castelli ones - only XXL is big enough for me!

FFS, what do people do who actually have big hands?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5321 on: 08 October, 2014, 03:25:31 pm »
Ask Giraffe OTP! I seldom see him in gloves.
His hands are BIG

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #5322 on: 08 October, 2014, 03:35:56 pm »
Wet.

I was ruthlessly mugged by a passing branch of Waterstones at lunchtime; consequently I got caught ina downpour of awesome downpouriness on the way home.  The drain at the bottom of the hill looked like that scary photo of a scary reservoir plug'ole that someone (Rogerzilla?) posted in here a while back and my denim jacket has absorbed so much water that it is having to hang from the shower curtain rail, probably until next summer.

Natch it did not stop the genny at the building site over the road chiz (it runs 07:30-17:30 and makes my front door vibrate with its Taos Hum-like, er, humming) and, equally inevitably, by the time I was indoors and divested of dripping everything, the sun was out.

Bah!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5323 on: 08 October, 2014, 05:43:02 pm »
I have worn a hole through the Liberty's Tana Lawn skirt I made for myself a long time ago.
I rather like the 'Strawberry Thief' print.  :( :'( >:(

HTFB

• The Monkey and the Plywood Violin
« Reply #5324 on: 08 October, 2014, 05:44:20 pm »
The local vampires have come to an unlikely deal with the Mormons. Possibly the Mormon sort of holy water doesn't count.

Conversely, though, the Mormons are convinced that the vampires' usual offering to their victims of hot-and-wet is unholy water, and forbid it within the walls of their temple. They will permit orange or lemon squash and, as an agnostic compromise, the hot chocolate that clumps pointlessly at the bottom of a scalding paper cup. This is almost but not quite entirely unlike what I'm after.

I only go for the tea and biscuits afterwards, and despite brewing up as soon as I got back it's just not the same. Like Arthur Dent, I'm in a state of having simultaneously tea and no tea.

Not especially helpful or mature