Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626021 times)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #5850 on: 23 January, 2015, 07:31:08 pm »
<SNIP>

No contact from the garage yesterday so I phone them at 4:15 p.m. "Funny you should phone" says FAD, "Your car Babbage Engine has spoken with the Mother Ship Babbage Engine (MSBE) and the MSBE Minions (MSBEM) have sent us a request for further checks- 39 pages of system checks on BCU's, anbaric string connections, resistance etc."

"Am I building up a tab here?" I asks.

"Hang on a mo" says FAD. he returns a little while later to say "If the fault is linked to the work we have done, that will be free. If it isn't, it will be another £114."

"Now wait just one cotton picking moment Hoss" says I. "I have already spent over £600 to be in exactly the same position as I was before I dropped the car off for repair and you might want more money?"

The saga continues.

Dr John sez they've fucked up. They just don't want to admit it.

Dust off and nuke from orbit etc.

As the owner of a series of LR Discoverys, which have more ECUs than anything else in the universe, I feel the pain.

Garages can only do diagnostics to a certain level.
"Fault code says blah. We need to replace the XXX at a cost of £XXX".
OK.

But it doesn't fix the problem.
Back a week later with the same issue.
Replace something different.

Can you put back the expensive thing you swapped last week, and refund me?
"No."

There's no *real* fault finding.
Just guessing ( at your expense ).

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5851 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:07:33 pm »
Started losing my voice when talking on the phone.  Called in sick on Thursday,  just felt totally wiped out.   A sore throat with foul tasting mucus running down from my nasal area.  My nose isn't running though....  I'm using an empty yogurt pot as a spitoon..... :sick:

Hacking cough every couple of minutes which is hurting my ribs  :(      Hope this clears up soon.  Bah!

I feel your pain! My cough has turned to bronchitis. Antiboticals seem to have made it worse. Back to the doc on Monday :(
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5852 on: 23 January, 2015, 08:44:00 pm »
<SNIP>

No contact from the garage yesterday so I phone them at 4:15 p.m. "Funny you should phone" says FAD, "Your car Babbage Engine has spoken with the Mother Ship Babbage Engine (MSBE) and the MSBE Minions (MSBEM) have sent us a request for further checks- 39 pages of system checks on BCU's, anbaric string connections, resistance etc."

"Hang on a mo" says FAD. he returns a little while later to say "If the fault is linked to the work we have done, that will be free. If it isn't, it will be another £114."

"Now wait just one cotton picking moment Hoss" says I. "I have already spent over £600 to be in exactly the same position as I was before I dropped the car off for repair and you might want more money?"

The saga continues.

As the owner of a series of LR Discoverys, which have more ECUs than anything else in the universe, I feel the pain.

OK.

"No."

REAL garages, who rely on fixing customers' cars for their reputation, as opposed to main stealers, who couldn't give a flying, learn to diagnose faults correctly.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #5853 on: 26 January, 2015, 09:43:39 am »

OK.

"No."

That makes me appreciate the citreon garage in armley, Leeds, even more.

Garage in dirty building under a railway, no frontage, cars parked up along the road one wheel up on pavement. Interior is filthy, one ancient mechanic has until, half-smoked dog-end permanently stuck to his lip. It's ice-cold, no heating. Air reeks of oil and grease.

I took my Citreon in with an engine management light flashing.

"We've run the diagnostics and the fault codes indicate a problem with braking sensors. Tested the sensors and they are fine. Reset the ECU and cleared fault code listing - the ECU is correctly detecting the sensors. Possibly a dirty connector giving a false signal. Bring it back if the light comes on again. No, no charge."

Proper mechanics who have kept up with the times.

Probably no coincidence that half the taxi firms in Leeds seemed to have their cars in there for work.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

fuzzy

« Reply #5854 on: 26 January, 2015, 09:59:10 am »
<SNIP>

The saga continues.

OK.

"No."

Phoned the garage again on Friday- despite them promising to phone me. Having completed the 39 pages of tests suggested by Mazda central, they are no further forward in telling me what the problem is. Now waiting to speak to an Anbaric Systems Wizard at Mazda Central who won't be in till today ::-)

fuzzy

« Reply #5855 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:03:14 pm »
<SNIP>

The saga continues.

OK.

"No."

Phoned the garage again on Friday- despite them promising to phone me. Having completed the 39 pages of tests suggested by Mazda central, they are no further forward in telling me what the problem is. Now waiting to speak to an Anbaric Systems Wizard at Mazda Central who won't be in till today ::-)

Just had ANOTHER call from the garage. Further guided investigation indicates a failure in another body control module type thing. replacement of this will be a further £558. Over a thousand pounds because some fucking blinking lights misbehave >:(

I suggested that maybe the original module change was not required but no, Mazda Babbage Engine suggests that the two modules were fucking with each other and both need changing.

I fucking HATE cars.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #5856 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:16:16 pm »
I remember a story I read in one of the motoring mags (would have been something like Practical Classics or the like, not AUTO), whereby a unnamed person took their scooby into the 'shop for an intermittant firing issue.

They connected up the magic box'o'tricks, which told them to replace the plugs. This was done at main dealer prices.

No joy.

Magic box'o'tricks then decides that the coil packs must be faulty, so they are replaced, again at main dealer prices.

Still no joy.

Old skool mechanic comes across to the car, pulls all the leads and replaces them.  Job done, no further issue.

Punter still got charged for the plugs and coils, even though the originals were ok.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

fuzzy

« Reply #5857 on: 26 January, 2015, 04:59:42 pm »
'swat happens when you let computers rool the world I suppose :-\

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5858 on: 26 January, 2015, 08:25:44 pm »

That, and you fail to notice someone burgling your house because you're debugging the unexpected false alarm... (DAHIKT)

« Reply #5859 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:04:40 pm »
Started losing my voice when talking on the phone.  Called in sick on Thursday,  just felt totally wiped out.   A sore throat with foul tasting mucus running down from my nasal area.  My nose isn't running though....  I'm using an empty yogurt pot as a spitoon..... :sick:

Hacking cough every couple of minutes which is hurting my ribs  :(      Hope this clears up soon.  Bah!

I feel your pain! My cough has turned to bronchitis. Antiboticals seem to have made it worse. Back to the doc on Monday :(

Hope the Doc patched you up Vince.  I went back to work today & wished I hadn't.  92 emails  >:(   Now down to a chesty cough, but still really sleepy all the time. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #5860 on: 26 January, 2015, 11:32:29 pm »
Sounds as if you're being fucked around there, mate. At the rate your bill is piling up, you're getting towards a good proportion of the price of a car.

Tiermat's story reminds me of this:
A few years ago Mrs B kept getting a warning light come on in the car. Mechanics at dealers couldn't find cause. She went to other car repair place, convenient for work. Mechanic listened to her tale, looked at readouts from box of tricks, said "Hmmm. I wonder . . . " & swapped round sensors. Fault moved. Mechanic plugged in new sensor. Fault went away. Charge = £TOLERABLE.

I'm hoping that if anything similar to your tale happens to the current one, it does so before September, when the warranty runs out.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5861 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:31:28 am »
Partner's dentist has finally discovered crack in crown of tooth that has bothered him, on an off, for several months.
David has seen dentist numerous times complaining about this pain.

'Partial crown' and part of tooth to which it was attached, broke away tonight of Beefeater Grill's fine Rocky Road Sundae.

Looks like dentist won't have to put much effort into seeing the problem now. David already has an appointment for Friday. Hope he remains pain-free.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5862 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:52:31 am »
Have had pretty awful evening at David's astro society 'Christmas' meal.

The venue is on multiple levels many of which only have steps to access. The early arrivals were already drinking in one such when we arrived so I was left out a bit.

The dinner was held in a room up several steps and my wheelchair needed to be lifted, which I dislike. I had only one drink as going to the loo would have been a major excursion.

The room was small and the waiting staff were constantly barging into my wheelchair. The wooden floors vibrated palpably as they passed. (I was musing about fitting a seismograph to my chair.)

The food was somewhat disappointing.

We decided on public transport for our return.
Unfortunately, I didn't realise the lifts at Wembley Park were out of commission so we had to take an extra train south to go north.

The ramps on the last bus home did not work.

David was able to help. I am considering getting a powerchair but really scared that I could get stranded.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #5863 on: 27 January, 2015, 08:25:21 am »
Thats infuriating, and basically not bloody good enough...

Presumably no-one in the astro society considered the limitiations of the venue when choosing it, considering they'd definitely have a wheelchair user in their midst.  The venue could/should have made a bit more effort, I suppose its just bad luck that those lifts were outof commission when you needed them, and that bus should have been taken out of service as soon as the fault was detected.

Commiserations, Helly.  Its particularly upsetting when an event that is supposed to be special turns out not to be.
Wombat

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5864 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:25:35 pm »
Rubbish morning this morning.

First I kicked the door of the open Dishwasher hard and seem to have done some damage to my left little toe which now has a dark scab round the back of the nail and hurts when I walk on it. Then I managed to bend the valve on my singlespeed's rear tyre topping up the pressures. I forgot to dry my cycling shoes out last night so had to dig out some old ones, and finally arrived at work (late), to discover I'd not brought my work clothes with me. :facepalm:

Hopefully this afternoon will be better ::-)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #5865 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:37:08 pm »

Hope the Doc patched you up Vince.  I went back to work today & wished I hadn't.  92 emails  >:(   Now down to a chesty cough, but still really sleepy all the time.
Getting there.
A return to the Doc yesterday at 2pm and she decided a chest x-ray is needed. Down to the hospital, 15 minutes to get a hospital ID card sorted out. Then along to radiology. Sat in reception for literally 5 seconds before being called in for the x-ray. Back home at 3:15. 5pm the doctor calls me to say the x-ray is clear and to double up on the use of an inhaler.
Should probably be in the Good News thread as its certainly not a grumble!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

tiermat

« Reply #5866 on: 27 January, 2015, 12:47:19 pm »
Rubbish morning this morning.

First I kicked the door of the open Dishwasher hard and seem to have done some damage to my left toe which now has a dark scab round the back of the nail and hurts when I walk on it. Then I managed to bend the valve on my singlespeed's rear tyre topping up the pressures. I forgot to dry my cycling shoes out last night so had to dig out some old ones, and finally arrived at work (late), to discover I'd not brought my work clothes with me. :facepalm:

Hopefully this afternoon will be better ::-)

After that start to the day, it has to, doesn't it?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #5867 on: 27 January, 2015, 01:41:28 pm »
When I Rule The World, I'll make an addition to the Edumication System viz: Telling People What a Thermostat Does.

Get in to the office today and find it's on 24C FFS.  At least it's better than  yesterday's 25C.

(The "normal" setting is 21C, but "it's a bit cold out".)

Gah.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5868 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:10:24 pm »
Thats infuriating, and basically not bloody good enough...

Presumably no-one in the astro society considered the limitiations of the venue when choosing it, considering they'd definitely have a wheelchair user in their midst.  The venue could/should have made a bit more effort, I suppose its just bad luck that those lifts were outof commission when you needed them, and that bus should have been taken out of service as soon as the fault was detected.

Commiserations, Helly.  Its particularly upsetting when an event that is supposed to be special turns out not to be.

Evening was organised by lady who knows me and my limitations well and happens to be a nurse.
What the people at the venue arranged/told her is unknown to me.

I suppose I should not have blithely assumed lifts at Wembley Park to be operational and done a bit of homework.

The bus with the duff ramp was the Last Bus (midnight departure) and the ramp extended but withdrew when initially deployed at journey's origin.
I didn't extend at all at our destination, conveniently 100 metres from here.

I will tell Sue I don't like being on a different level to the loos so she knows for next time.

Sometimes I seem to spend my life worrying about toilets...

tiermat

« Reply #5869 on: 27 January, 2015, 02:12:21 pm »

You and me, both.

Me for different (health) reasons to you, obviously.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #5870 on: 27 January, 2015, 03:56:03 pm »

You and me, both.

Me for different (health) reasons to you, obviously.

Well yes.
I am living with a chap who has toilet nightmares as well!

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #5871 on: 27 January, 2015, 04:35:44 pm »
When I Rule The World, I'll make an addition to the Edumication System viz: Telling People What a Thermostat Does.

Get in to the office today and find it's on 24C FFS.  At least it's better than  yesterday's 25C.

(The "normal" setting is 21C, but "it's a bit cold out".)

Gah.

I know, I know.   >:(
A "Gah" from here too.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5872 on: 27 January, 2015, 04:56:31 pm »

I don't think I'm likely to rule the world, but if I ever end up molishing a thermostat: lusers for the operation by, I will endeavour to include a cheat code for extra heating that's very much not engaged by turning it above and beyond a reasonable temeprature.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #5873 on: 27 January, 2015, 05:50:55 pm »
Helly that sounds utterly maddening for you and does sound like a combo of people not thinking and compound bad luck, but it isn't good enough. Bus ramps should be tested daily and maintained properly with a taxi called at TfL's expense for failure.  Same for lift infrastructure in transport wossnames >:(

My grumble is suddenly discovering items in my work diary which aren't mine.  Upon investigation I find it's reception booking my office out without telling me at random times on my "usual day off" - nice-dippy receptionist thinks I got an email (which I didn't). This is what comes of having an Office Manager managing admin staff separate from the advisers/counsellors - no one knows what the hell is going on ever...  That and the office manager agreeing stuff with her superior without even checking my bosses are happy with it or that it's legal, feasible, sensible or manageable... 

Oh well, 8 months till we move into the new open plan offices in the new building... That'll be spiffing of course!  I think I shall make a bingo card of fail with prizes!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #5874 on: 27 January, 2015, 05:54:02 pm »
... add leaving my mobile in the office :facepalm:

Can I start today again please?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!