Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1626023 times)

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #7750 on: 06 June, 2016, 01:27:10 pm »
Toothache. Or sinuses.  Buggrit.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #7751 on: 06 June, 2016, 01:39:13 pm »
Huh.  I e-mailed payroll on MAY 16TH to see what the implications would be for reducing my working hours.  They still haven't got round to doing it, in spite of being chased.

At my old employer they'd do this sort of thing for you while you waited on the 'phone.

Hmph.
Milk please, no sugar.

« Reply #7752 on: 06 June, 2016, 09:29:53 pm »
The bar downstairs from my office used to be like that.  Walked in one day to hear the owner bawling at one of his brats "you're as big a tw@ as your mother".

My, erm, favourite moment from neighbours (a few years and a couple of houses ago) was 'How many times have I told you not to f*cking swear?'

At high volume.

To a five year-old.

(My personal response - to that and much else - was to put on Too Much Too Young, and smile benignly when it got to 'ain't you heard of contraception?')

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #7753 on: 06 June, 2016, 10:27:10 pm »
Huh.  I e-mailed payroll on MAY 16TH to see what the implications would be for reducing my working hours.  They still haven't got round to doing it, in spite of being chased.

At my old employer they'd do this sort of thing for you while you waited on the 'phone.

Hmph.

That could be failure to provide you with info needed to make reasonable adjustments ffs. I'd start muttering about disability discrimination as you've had depression episodes for more than 12 months == disability.

Fuckers.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #7754 on: 09 June, 2016, 05:29:36 pm »
It has been a lovely, sunny day, all day. I hang a wash out and the dark, brooding clouds gather! You fuckers!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7755 on: 09 June, 2016, 10:05:25 pm »
It's been a lovely sunny week.  It's nearly dark, but the feeyuge hay makers are still tearing around.  It really scares me, the speeds they drive at.
Dog locked in the house.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #7756 on: 09 June, 2016, 10:33:37 pm »
So, just back from a week in Hassi Messaoud in Algeria, I was looking forward to a couple of weeks of mundane office work and cycle commuting before buggering orf on my holliberries.

But oh, no.
Regional Manager in India has planned an 'Expert Workshop' for our software the week before my holliberries.
I, as the 'Expert', have to haul my ass over there to do this thing.

I've spent all of yesterday doing my on-line application for an Indian business visa.

On the plus side, I have to attend an in-person interview at the Indian Consulate in Edinburgh on Monday.
I may console myself with an agreeable lunch at Valvona and Corolla.

vantage

• As quick as a slug on crutches towing a snail whilst wading through a salt mine!
« Reply #7757 on: 10 June, 2016, 12:07:16 am »
It's just after midnight. My 12 yo and 9yo daughters are in bed sleeping and I'll need to wake them at 6:45 for the 10 mile train ride to school in the morning. So I'll be needing sleep too.
Next doors new mutt is barking and howling and the wankers aren't in. Gonna be a long f***ing night.  :demon:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx

ian

« Reply #7758 on: 10 June, 2016, 08:04:30 am »
So, just back from a week in Hassi Messaoud in Algeria, I was looking forward to a couple of weeks of mundane office work and cycle commuting before buggering orf on my holliberries.

But oh, no.
Regional Manager in India has planned an 'Expert Workshop' for our software the week before my holliberries.

I've spent all of yesterday doing my on-line application for an Indian business visa.

On the plus side, I have to attend an in-person interview at the Indian Consulate in Edinburgh on Monday.

This, my friend, makes you a Thought Leader™. Check your hair.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7759 on: 10 June, 2016, 08:34:53 am »
"Happily Married Husband and Wife Week": share this if... Fucking Facebook fools.

Try this one: "Share this if your aged parent or in-law filled the bed with shit last night".
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #7760 on: 10 June, 2016, 09:45:32 am »
Hurrah, expenses day. I just emptied the latest batch of receipts from my overstuffed wallet into a sizable mound. It's going to be a long, dull day.

nicknack

• Hornblower
« Reply #7761 on: 10 June, 2016, 11:43:37 am »
Got my 75 pint badge the other day, so I thought I'd have a go at platelets. Took a bike ride up to Tooting, where I was given the code to the bike cage. Sat around, ate some biscuits, had my veins examined, had four tubes of blood taken so they can check my platelet level, drank squash, ate more biscuits, cycled to East Croydon.
I got to 74 and then was put on beta-blockers, so 75 became out of the question. I was unreasonably rather pissed off. I contemplated not taking them until after 75 but sense prevailed.
There's no vibrations, but wait.

« Reply #7762 on: 10 June, 2016, 12:11:04 pm »
Got my 75 pint badge the other day, so I thought I'd have a go at platelets. Took a bike ride up to Tooting, where I was given the code to the bike cage. Sat around, ate some biscuits, had my veins examined, had four tubes of blood taken so they can check my platelet level, drank squash, ate more biscuits, cycled to East Croydon.
I got to 74 and then was put on beta-blockers, so 75 became out of the question. I was unreasonably rather pissed off. I contemplated not taking them until after 75 but sense prevailed.
My count has be messed up with transferring back and forward at Uni and then 1+1 donation (Platelets for those whose count isn't high enough). They take one unit red blood and one unit plasma consecutively by separating at source and returning the rest but count it as 2 donations. Therefore ~8 pints count as 16 donations.

I think I am due my 75 soon and should comfortably reach 100.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #7763 on: 10 June, 2016, 12:18:50 pm »
My count has be messed up with transferring back and forward at Uni and then 1+1 donation (Platelets for those whose count isn't high enough). They take one unit red blood and one unit plasma consecutively by separating at source and returning the rest but count it as 2 donations. Therefore ~8 pints count as 16 donations.

I was reading the Awards bit of their website.
1st - Welcome and thank you pack, including donor card and key fob

5th - Donor card

10th - Badge and certificate

25th - Donor card, badge and certificate

50th - Donor card, badge and certificate

75th - Badge and certificate

100th - Ceremony invitation (whole blood donors), commemorative medal and certificate
ect ect.  Right up to 1000 donations, where you get a special framed certificate. I bet you do. At, say, 4 donations per year (and that's pushing things) I'd be 266 years old if I started at age 16.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #7764 on: 10 June, 2016, 12:22:27 pm »

I was reading the Awards bit of their website.
1st - Welcome and thank you pack, including donor card and key fob

5th - Donor card

10th - Badge and certificate

25th - Donor card, badge and certificate

50th - Donor card, badge and certificate

75th - Badge and certificate

100th - Ceremony invitation (whole blood donors), commemorative medal and certificate
ect ect.  Right up to 1000 donations, where you get a special framed certificate. I bet you do. At, say, 4 donations per year (and that's pushing things) I'd be 266 years old if I started at age 16.
Now I see why blood donation appeals to audaxers!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7765 on: 10 June, 2016, 12:32:05 pm »
But IIRC if you are a platelets giver then you can give as frequently as every 2 weeks, whole blood used to be 16 weeks and is now 12 weeks for men.

I've been donating for about 16 years at 3-4 times a year and with ~3 years counting double so the count saying 69 is probably right

Now I see why blood donation appeals to audaxers!

Just don't try to ride 200km the day after you give blood, your legs won't thank you.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #7766 on: 10 June, 2016, 01:38:08 pm »
It's been a lovely sunny week.  It's nearly dark, but the feeyuge hay makers are still tearing around.  It really scares me, the speeds they drive at.
Dog locked in the house.

Blimey.  They were still going past at Five to midnight!  What happened after that, I don't know, as I was asleep.
They were right though.  There's been rain in the air all morning today.
My god, those kids work hard for their money.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #7767 on: 10 June, 2016, 10:23:34 pm »
There may have been rain in the air when you saw it basil, but a lot of it ended up on me on my way back home from Windsor  ::-)
the slower you go the more you see

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #7768 on: 11 June, 2016, 12:14:05 am »

But oh, no.

Indian visa, have fun. I have a bloke off there to Panna and Tripti next week.

Luckily I no longer have to worry about Hassi, I'm PNG on account of medicals.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7769 on: 11 June, 2016, 10:47:03 am »
Currently trying to negotiate a phone upgrade with the menagerie of muppetry that is EE.  Have been told four different prices and charges by four different people so far.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7770 on: 11 June, 2016, 10:54:17 am »
...and they're trying to charge me an upgrade fee although my contract says there isn't one.  They're making this up as they go along.  They are notorious for not having a clue.  I might change providers as they're now owned by BT, so their customer service may actually achieve the impossible and get worse.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rr

« Reply #7771 on: 11 June, 2016, 11:24:53 am »
Hurrah, expenses day. I just emptied the latest batch of receipts from my overstuffed wallet into a sizable mound. It's going to be a long, dull day.
Expensify is your friend

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #7772 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:17:22 am »
I need to effect the purchase of some boxes, paperwork for the putting in of.  It would normally be the job of Sweden's finest purveyors of flat-packed wossnames but I'm having second thoughts.

(click to show/hide)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7773 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:26:30 am »
Whither the flat-pack coffin?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #7774 on: 13 June, 2016, 08:41:54 am »
Apostrophe heaven!     ::-)