Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625879 times)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #14525 on: 20 April, 2022, 11:40:38 pm »
To be fair, pub websites are legally required to be at least 12 months out of date (24 in the case of pages pertaining to food menus or camping facilities).  It's a tradition, or an old charter or something.  So plausible deniability there.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #14526 on: 20 April, 2022, 11:47:37 pm »
Oh indeed, pub websites are notoriously shite.  The "book only" policy the manglement claim to have is somewhat scuppered by the latest tripadvisor review being from someone who called in "on spec" today and had a lovely 10/10 experience.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #14527 on: 21 April, 2022, 07:37:59 am »
I miss the plastic tray covered in cling film that would contain ham and tomato rolls and cheese and onion rolls.
Couple of beers, couple of rolls. Lovely.   That's everything I wanted.

The Coach and Horses is that way.
<--

Wow, they still do that?   It was there that I was thinking of.

I assume you're referring to the Coach at Weatheroak? - and yes they still do!

That's the one (cunningly positioned at the bottom of a bastard hill to trap cyclists), though I haven't been inside since The Event.

>:(  - yep, either Weatheroak hill towards Earlswood or Icknield Street towards Brum - the upside (sort of, it means crossing Redditch) is that my journey home from there is down the lane opposite towards Beoley with only modest inclines.

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #14528 on: 21 April, 2022, 09:58:06 am »
Queen Eleanor Hotel, southern edge of Northampton (Travelodgey-type place), does good food inc. F&C, big breakfasts etc. No need to book most lunchtimes - poss. some evenings. Bar and food areas barely separated, Abbot ale £3.97 and very nice.
Yesterday there was a cyclist in and he'd put his bike in the bar - OK as not many people there.

2 main courses, pint of Abbot and coffee £16.84. Have spent nearly £30 for two but a lot more food.
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #14529 on: 21 April, 2022, 10:11:33 am »
Yebbut, evil Greene King Abbot  :hand:

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14530 on: 21 April, 2022, 10:18:28 am »
It took my a week or three to realise why the nice beer I was drinking on a quiet night out was giving me the bad heads the following morning when we moved to Suffolk a number of years ago!  :facepalm:
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #14531 on: 21 April, 2022, 10:33:10 am »
I miss the plastic tray covered in cling film that would contain ham and tomato rolls and cheese and onion rolls.
Couple of beers, couple of rolls. Lovely.   That's everything I wanted.

And the blokes from the local GKN factory popping in to get their bottle of mild filled before going on shift managing the furnaces (as I once saw in that there Mordor whilst having a pint and roll for lunch).  Actually, in that particular factory (the Kings Mill IIRC - Joe Bloggs piecework shops in the building opposite staining the adjacent canal rainbow colours before it became the norm) the late shift had a habit of hopping over the back wall to get a round in before closing.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14532 on: 21 April, 2022, 10:39:13 am »
It took my a week or three to realise why the nice beer I was drinking on a quiet night out was giving me the bad heads the following morning when we moved to Suffolk a number of years ago!  :facepalm:

But better that than Charlie Wells "Ace" lager, famed for it coliforms and subsequent gaseous bean overdose effect.

I have to confess to liking Abbot and their IPA.  I see they also now brew Old Speckled Hen, and Belhaven, another 2 I enjoy.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #14533 on: 21 April, 2022, 11:24:27 am »

But better that than Charlie Wells "Ace" lager, famed for it coliforms and subsequent gaseous bean overdose effect.

I have to confess to liking Abbot and their IPA.  I see they also now brew Old Speckled Hen, and Belhaven, another 2 I enjoy.
Is anyone else familiar with the Bedford drink, a 'Silly' ?  Half of Abbot with a bottled half of St Edmund Ale. Great fun (as far as you can remember that is).
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14534 on: 21 April, 2022, 11:27:00 am »
Black & Decker. Grump grump.

Mrs h bought an expensive (for us) 36V cordless B&D strimmer a few years back. It only gets light use at the lottie, but after about two years it gave up. I took it apart and the motor was shot - one of the magnets was disintegrating. New motor was £50 so it was replaced (include soldering new terminals, which is my least fave bit of DIY). Two years later and it's done exactly the same thing again.

Harrumph.

Makita equivalent purchased. Bah humbug.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14535 on: 21 April, 2022, 11:41:27 am »

Mrs h bought an expensive (for us) 36V cordless B&D strimmer a few years back. It only gets light use at the lottie, but after about two years it gave up. I took it apart and the motor was shot - one of the magnets was disintegrating. New motor was £50 so it was replaced (include soldering new terminals, which is my least fave bit of DIY). Two years later and it's done exactly the same thing again.

Harrumph.

I think you did well there, and not gone for a De Walt as they come out of the same factory as B&D.

« Reply #14536 on: 21 April, 2022, 12:00:15 pm »
Decision based upon what I've read here.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14537 on: 21 April, 2022, 01:31:36 pm »

Harrumph.

I much prefer a scythe.

Needs sharpening for 2 min before starting work, and costs a lot to for initial purchase.

Never runs out of power though.

Cut the lawns with it on Mon. Grass was too wet to use lawnmower, and besides, it was a quiet peaceful day. The 'swish' of a scythe doesn't disturb anybody.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #14538 on: 21 April, 2022, 01:43:25 pm »

Harrumph.

I much prefer a scythe.

Needs sharpening for 2 min before starting work, and costs a lot to for initial purchase.

Cut the lawns with it on Mon. Grass was too wet to use lawnmower, and besides, it was a quiet peaceful day. The 'swish' of a scythe doesn't disturb anybody.
It's also a very satisfying way of mowing a lawn, as well as being much faster than using a mower. One swing and you've cut a 3mØ swathe. I could've bought three electric mowers with what I paid for my scythe. In addition to the company I bought it from has been making scythes since the 16th century.

« Reply #14539 on: 21 April, 2022, 01:59:40 pm »

I much prefer a scythe.

It's also a very satisfying way of mowing a lawn, as well as being much faster than using a mower. One swing and you've cut a 3mØ swathe. I could've bought three electric mowers with what I paid for my scythe. In addition to the company I bought it from has been making scythes since the 16th century.

If you ever find yourself on the North side of Dartmoor, then I suspect you'd like this place - https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/finch-foundry

It's not just grass the strimmer is for, but all sorts of gubbins on the lottie.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #14540 on: 21 April, 2022, 02:28:26 pm »
Plus the obvious acting power, for which a strimmer just doesn't (forgive me) cut it. But a chainsaw certainly does.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #14541 on: 21 April, 2022, 03:30:10 pm »
"Open back of remote control and insert batteries".  The line illustration shows a pair of delicate female hands gently sliding the back from the casing.

Why then does it take 10 minutes of swear-filled personful striving to budge the bastard a fexadecimal fornicating millimetre?
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14542 on: 21 April, 2022, 03:34:35 pm »

I much prefer a scythe.

If you ever find yourself on the North side of Dartmoor, then I suspect you'd like this place - https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/finch-foundry

It's not just grass the strimmer is for, but all sorts of gubbins on the lottie.
My eldest lives in Foundry House, next door to Finch Foundry. When we were staying a couple of weeks ago, they were in the process of refurbishing the water wheel. That looked like a very steady job for the carpenters involved.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #14543 on: 21 April, 2022, 03:57:29 pm »
Finch Foundry is my absolute favourite NT property.

(And who'd have thought 30 years ago I'd ever write that sentence ?)
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #14544 on: 21 April, 2022, 04:00:05 pm »

Harrumph.

I much prefer a scythe.

Sadly not quicker in my garden. Lots of awkward shapes, little paths and daft things like bulbs in the lawn that have to be mowed around.

I have a short brush blade (50cm). Works on grass, nettles; pretty much anything up to a cm thick.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #14545 on: 21 April, 2022, 04:07:28 pm »
Finch Foundry is my absolute favourite NT property.

(And who'd have thought 30 years ago I'd ever write that sentence ?)
Alice sort of looked after the foundry during lockdown although it wasn't her property and she was never a formal key 'rep'. Her and her husband are currently looking for somewhere to live in deepest cornwall at the moment though, so she'll be giving up the rent free 3+ bedroom cottage in devon, all in the name of career advancement. to sy they are struggling to find even an affordable home in cornwall, let alone anything like they are leaving, is an understatement.

« Reply #14546 on: 21 April, 2022, 04:48:14 pm »

Harrumph.

I much prefer a scythe.

Sadly not quicker in my garden. Lots of awkward shapes, little paths and daft things like bulbs in the lawn that have to be mowed around.

I have a short brush blade (50cm). Works on grass, nettles; pretty much anything up to a cm thick.
My scythe has a 60cm blade. I have a Japanese Sickle for the close combat in tight corners stuff. It's surprising what the scythe will go through once the blade has worked up some momentum. I bought both for doing Mum's lawn which is flat and large enough that you need binoculars to recognise close relatives positioned at the far end. Between the two tools, they seem to have all points covered. All a bit moot now as we sold Mum's house about a month ago, and my garden is no more than 5m x 5m.

« Reply #14547 on: 21 April, 2022, 04:58:33 pm »

Harrumph.

I much prefer a scythe.

My scythe has a 60cm blade. I have a Japanese Sickle for the close combat in tight corners stuff. It's surprising what the scythe will go through once the blade has worked up some momentum. I bought both for doing Mum's lawn which is flat and large enough that you need binoculars to recognise close relatives positioned at the far end. Between the two tools, they seem to have all points covered. All a bit moot now as we sold Mum's house about a month ago, and my garden is no more than 5m x 5m.

Agreed.
I have an antique grass hook for the tight stuff. It's also impressive what that will go through - I cut down some willows recently and used it to do the small limbing.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14548 on: 21 April, 2022, 06:30:58 pm »
Oh, is a grass hook what I will need for cutting the grass next to the pond when it's finished, I wonder?
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #14549 on: 21 April, 2022, 06:33:31 pm »
Oh god I just found a Japanese sickle on Axminster tools.
Go to the tool pr0n thread.
Go directly to the tool pr0n thread.
Do not pass go.
Do not collect £200.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.