Author Topic: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.  (Read 1625761 times)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Re: The Grumble Thread - No energy for a full on rant.
« Reply #16950 on: 08 January, 2024, 08:15:38 am »
Electric planer: very good at separating wanted and unwanted wood.

Electric planer: also very good at dispersing unwanted wood all over the kitchen even with the unwanted wood bag fitted ???

Yeah.  When I planed a few boards in the barn last summer my extractor hose wouldn't reach to where I was working.  The floor in the driver's side of the car is now decorated with shavings.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16951 on: 11 January, 2024, 11:29:42 am »
A pox on the designers of coffin sized shower cubicles. And an even bigger malady on the builders who lack imagination and thoughtlessly fit the same.

I shall be glad to get home to my open ended walk in shower (and my king size bed, but that’s another grumble).
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16952 on: 11 January, 2024, 11:42:49 am »
In contrast, we have a landlord-installed walk-in shower replacing the previous, perfectly adequate, shower over the bath. The walk-in shower is as big as the bath was but less useful – you can't eg wash a bike in it (shshsh!), soak clothes in it, and Mrs Cudzo complains she can no longer wash her hair without having a shower (as opposed to simply leaning over the bath tub). And in order to make room for this oversized shower, they've replaced the previous basin and toilet with miniature items. You can no longer wash your hands without splashing the floor.

The totally ridiculous remote control device for the shower, which requires frequent new batteries and without which it will not function at all, is a separate grumble.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #16953 on: 11 January, 2024, 11:52:51 am »
I’ll admit that the small basin I had fitted when we had the bathroom rejigged is an abomination which I shall re-fit at some point. And the aesthetic’s of the damn thing are also irritating me now, although that could be because I’ve always favoured function over form, and it’s failing in the former may be prejudicing my views.

As for hair washing; everyone showers every morning in the Beardy bastion, and so it’s somewhat moot.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16954 on: 11 January, 2024, 02:22:54 pm »
Ours being a traditional Alsacien farmhouse the loft was designed for storing grain, with free entry and exit for the wind at each end. Since we moved in we've blocked off as many of these as we can, but there's still the odd hole; so when I heard a corvid crake-crake-crake-crake yesterday evening my immediate thought was "Bloody hell, there's a raven in the loft!"  The noise was repeated a couple of minutes later, but since it was after dark I didn't feel like opening the loft door and getting a large panicky bird in the face.  I let it be.

Fast forward, and today the thing had slipped my mind until an hour ago, when crake-crake-crake-crake rang out again.  "Have to deal with that now," sez I to MrsT. "What?" sez she.  "The bird upstairs, I just heard it again."  "Oh," sez she. "That's my new ring tone for SMSes".

She leaves her phone on her desk when she goes downstairs in the evening, and for some Fruity reason it creaks twice for every new message.

Pfuck.

Better than a faceful of raven, though.

« Reply #16955 on: 11 January, 2024, 03:52:36 pm »
I’ll admit that the small basin I had fitted when we had the bathroom rejigged is an abomination which I shall re-fit at some point. And the aesthetic’s of the damn thing are also irritating me now, although that could be because I’ve always favoured function over form, and it’s failing in the former may be prejudicing my views.

As for hair washing; everyone showers every morning in the Beardy bastion, and so it’s somewhat moot.

Hmm, my wife will have to think about the hair-washing angle before we repalce our bath (her 2 metal hips are making getting in and out a pain for showers.

As to basins, add to small basins the fact that the mixer tap obscures about 25% of it, and the glass shelf above is ripe for head butting.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #16956 on: 11 January, 2024, 06:45:53 pm »
I can wash my hair fine in the shower cubicle without getting in it. Though I do have short short hair, which probably helps. And obv you need a shower with a hose and not a fixed head.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #16957 on: 11 January, 2024, 06:54:18 pm »
I can wash my hair fine in the shower cubicle without getting in it. Though I do have short short hair, which probably helps. And obv you need a shower with a hose and not a fixed head.

Her hair is pretty short, and neither of us like rainfall showers so it’ll be a wall bracket. Plus we only have 7ft ceilings.

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #16958 on: 11 January, 2024, 06:59:20 pm »
I probably can wash my shoulder length hair in a sink but if I'm just hairwashing then a bath is easier. I need the bath for pain management reasons anyway. I like baths. I don't feel safe standing in showers and ours isn't conducive to a shower stool.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #16959 on: 11 January, 2024, 07:44:11 pm »
The problem with ours for hair washing is that you can't access the shower head itself without getting in the shower, due to the glass screen, and therefore getting your feet wet. Mrs C likes to just wash her (shoulder length) hair independently of her body. And to dye and rinse it. It doesn't bother me but then I have Middle Aged Man Hair.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #16960 on: 12 January, 2024, 12:52:56 pm »
I probably can wash my shoulder length hair in a sink but if I'm just hairwashing then a bath is easier. I need the bath for pain management reasons anyway. I like baths. I don't feel safe standing in showers and ours isn't conducive to a shower stool.

And you can't really sip champagne and nibble chocolates in a shower...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16961 on: 12 January, 2024, 01:21:33 pm »
Hair??  I remember hair...

« Reply #16962 on: 12 January, 2024, 02:51:19 pm »
Perennial gym-going grumble. People who sit on equipment searching their playlists on their phones as opposed to exercising.  >:(

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #16963 on: 12 January, 2024, 02:57:23 pm »
Perennial gym-going grumble. People who sit on equipment searching their playlists on their phones as opposed to exercising.  >:(

Luckily doesn't happen in my gym - which is classed based. 

Although Katherine has been know to text whilst doing hip thrusts...
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #16964 on: 12 January, 2024, 03:22:55 pm »
Sometimes they are doing a multi-part set that has 2-3 min waits between each part.
Frankly, those are anti-social. I know they are good training, but for people who have limited time, they can wreck completion of a gym session.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #16965 on: 14 January, 2024, 03:42:41 pm »
Yep, appreciate that, and some have the timer running on the phone as part of the workout. A couple of minutes is fine, 5 minutes texting or WhatsApp-ing back and forth not so much. But it’s minor, and it’s only because of my latent OCD that it irks me, there’s always something I can do. Hence a grumble not a rant.

« Reply #16966 on: 15 January, 2024, 01:47:52 pm »
Sometimes they are doing a multi-part set that has 2-3 min waits between each part.
Frankly, those are anti-social. I know they are good training, but for people who have limited time, they can wreck completion of a gym session.

I always thought it was good practice to let someone slip in and do a set in their routine in the breaks in yours, is that not the thing anymore.

I bought some weights so I can get my routines in at home so it's been a while since I've been in a gym
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #16967 on: 15 January, 2024, 02:07:26 pm »

I always thought it was good practice to let someone slip in and do a set in their routine in the breaks in yours, is that not the thing anymore.

Yep, that's how it used to work, back when people in gyms talked to each other as opposed to all listening to their personal soundtracks  :). And I guess the style of gym makes a difference, thoise more strength biased I'm guessing will still be like that.

« Reply #16968 on: 16 January, 2024, 01:33:03 pm »
Trade union trainer: learn to shutTF up and do the task you set, FFS. 45 minutes of you droning on, mainly off on a tangent, is rather tedious. You must have done some teacher training and learned about TTT and its rationing, mustn't you?
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16969 on: 16 January, 2024, 10:03:19 pm »
People who say "threaded" when talking about screws when they mean "stripped" or "cross threaded" are this: A bit annoying.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16970 on: 17 January, 2024, 08:09:54 am »
New tablet. Gotta set the bugger up. Feels like work.

« Reply #16971 on: 17 January, 2024, 08:37:45 am »
Formula E, which is often more entertaining than Formula 1, is now only available on Discovery+ at the top subscription level. We not going to pay £30 a month just too watch Formula E. Grumble.
(This might be better in the 1st world problems thread.)

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #16972 on: 17 January, 2024, 09:27:13 am »
Discovery + doesn’t work on my Samsung tablet, so I won’t be watching it anyway!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #16973 on: 17 January, 2024, 09:35:14 am »
Lenovo tablet. It's an android, Jim, but not as we know it.

Tim Hall

• Victoria is my queen
« Reply #16974 on: 17 January, 2024, 02:37:28 pm »
People who tag people in emails, like this "thanks @fred.smith@domain.com for your comment", as if they're they're the cool kids on that Instagram they have these days are this: Rather Annoying Too.
There are two ways you can get exercise out of a bicycle: you can
"overhaul" it, or you can ride it.  (Jerome K Jerome)