Author Topic: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2014 - A Thread  (Read 74515 times)

Re: Bryan Chapman Memorial 2014 - A Thread
« Reply #625 on: 24 May, 2014, 11:39:51 am »
james, your photos are fabulous

+1.  :thumbsup:

Ans a great ride report too
where you have a concentration of power in a few hands, all too frequently men with the mentality of gangsters get control. History has proven that. Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely.

« Reply #626 on: 24 May, 2014, 11:41:59 am »
Yes this definitely happened.  All t'awesomes on one table.  It was likely the arrival of Halley's Comet.

Hmm... I was sitting at the table - don't count me as an awesome!

« Reply #627 on: 24 May, 2014, 11:44:11 am »
For what it's worth, here's my write-up - my first 600.

It's aimed at my non-audax friends/colleagues - so has some extra (probably wrong) Audax info in it.

http://mustgettaller.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-bryan-chapman-memorial-2014_24.html

Thanks to jamesbradnor for one of the photos in it.

James

« Reply #628 on: 24 May, 2014, 11:57:16 am »
Yes this definitely happened.  All t'awesomes on one table.  It was likely the arrival of Halley's Comet.

well I`m most pleased to meet the mighty H   :thumbsup: ---I greatly admired his lumpy end 2 end feat and maybe some day will ride it myself (now there`s a commitment !!)
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

« Reply #629 on: 24 May, 2014, 12:10:18 pm »

It's aimed at my non-audax friends/colleagues - so has some extra (probably wrong) Audax info in it.

http://mustgettaller.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/the-bryan-chapman-memorial-2014_24.html

James

Nice write up indeed, well done, sounds like you pulled well thro a rough patch  :thumbsup: and didn`t pack !

more pics than I stopped for too  I regret not getting pic of Snowdon /  Menai bridge ---

Jamesb (here I`m going to point out---james Blair, jamesbradnor refers to place residence ie Radnor valley !!! so not james Bradnor / Radnor etc) ta ;D
....after the `tarte de pommes`, and  fortified by a couple of shots of limoncellos,  I flew up the Col de Bavella whilst thunderstorms rolled around the peaks above

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #630 on: 24 May, 2014, 12:12:08 pm »

Not bad a for first write-up  :thumbsup: (Could have done with more "tapping hills out" ;) )

I try to avoid spelling pedantry, but really: "Nighton" ?!? It's a key part of Day2, misspelling it is just sacrilege!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #631 on: 24 May, 2014, 12:28:42 pm »

James

Well done that man  :thumbsup:

Will see you next Wednesday for the BCM reunion beer.

H

« Reply #632 on: 24 May, 2014, 12:48:17 pm »

James

great Photo of me crossing the bridge at Barmouth - I remember passing you when you had stopped to take photos.   I spent some time in Barmouth phoning home - where I suspect you passed me.   our times were similar to Menai, I think we must have been dozing there at the same time.   I was fortunate to have no problems with eating - my size shows that I never have problems eating.   I just kept eating and drinking - the current Mrs S provided flapjacks and gluten free sandwiches (cheese and salami) that came in handy when gluten free was hard to find.   

Great write up  ;D
😄 PBP 2015 & LEL 2017 - it's good to have something to work towards right? 😎

« Reply #633 on: 24 May, 2014, 01:52:29 pm »

James

Nice write up indeed, well done, sounds like you pulled well thro a rough patch  :thumbsup: and didn`t pack !

more pics than I stopped for too  I regret not getting pic of Snowdon /  Menai bridge ---

Jamesb (here I`m going to point out---james Blair, jamesbradnor refers to place residence ie Radnor valley !!! so not james Bradnor / Radnor etc) ta ;D

Not bad a for first write-up  :thumbsup: (Could have done with more "tapping hills out" ;) )

I try to avoid spelling pedantry, but really: "Nighton" ?!? It's a key part of Day2, misspelling it is just sacrilege!

Thans Matt and James for the proof-reading.

Corrections applied. Nighton/Knighton - I kept thinking of Niton on the Isle of Wight. Many years of offshore sailing, listening to people calling up "Niton Radio..." in the middle of the night. Gets engrained in one's brain.

James

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #634 on: 24 May, 2014, 04:05:23 pm »
Great write up - and special mention ? *blush*

You can blame fboab for my pretty fast... Moniker as that's a direct quote of pretty much the first thing she said to me when I introduced myself on last year's national 400.

I confess I suspected who the rider and mustgettaller were but wasn't sure. Now I've read your write up now I know for sure. It was nice riding with you much of the ride - hope to see you again on another ride soon.

Went looking for a new steed today - looking like a Giant Defy 2 with a hand built rear wheel...

Fred will probably still be with me for Peacocks and Kites in June however.
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

caerau

« Reply #635 on: 24 May, 2014, 04:24:29 pm »
Incidentally, well done on keeping up with the food intake despite the body saying no, this is something I had a serious problem with last year on the big rides and I came a cropper on the National 400 with a serious bonk as a result - I seem to have solved this now and you will too - just a bit of experience with eating often and small and I now set an alert on my garmin to eat something at 20 minute intervals (thanks to Eric Grill for the tip).

Also, I'm far from the largest rider in the audax community.  Wait till you meet the man mountain that is Folkdevil - I do not envy him hauling it up the hills - and he rides fixie!  :jurek:

« Reply #636 on: 24 May, 2014, 04:51:44 pm »

"At 1645 I arrived at King's youth hostel - the first AUK manned control. I got my brevet card stamped, and feasted on soup, pasta and rice pudding with fruit. Fantastic wholesome stuff!

Here I met up again with Ludwig, who'd arrived ahead of me. Unfortunately one of his knees had become too painful to continue (he'd mentioned the possibility earlier), and he was investigating his options for a non-cycling return to London."

Very nice write up. And well done.

Took me riding all the way to Menai Bridge, the knee started to give me real trouble on the descent from Pen Y Pas, seized up at Menai,  and the five hours on one leg back to Kings to make up my mind that the 10.03h from Machynlleth to Shrewsbury was the best way to get back to Chepstow.  ;)

Bugloss

« Reply #637 on: 24 May, 2014, 07:12:43 pm »
Nice write up Rabbit.

The shoulder has gone all Technicolor now and I suppose it got a bit of a wrenching. Good job the grass was long and soft on the verge as I'd be in a mess if it had been gravel.

I can't figure out how to post photos on this site. If anyone knows give us a clue and I'll stick mine up.

caerau

« Reply #638 on: 24 May, 2014, 08:26:31 pm »
They need to be hosted online somewhere else and public for a start. Flickr for example

« Reply #639 on: 24 May, 2014, 08:39:56 pm »
Flickr

open photo

right mouse click on photo  and you`ll get a series format sizes, choose eg medium 640 or 800

then right click again and select properties

copy and paste the address which contains something like `farmstatic` eg https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5037/14244443833_390af42463_z.jpg

place this in the image command  (second from left on lower row)

so you get

« Reply #640 on: 24 May, 2014, 09:14:39 pm »
Don't be shy of submitting your words to Arrivee anybody who feels like it, there could be a "BCM special issue"  8)

Right, finally got time to read some of the ride reports and they are, indeed, excellent!  Perhaps someone could do a montage for Arrivee with various bits cribbed from each report and some of the great photos? 
Does not play well with others

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #641 on: 25 May, 2014, 11:33:14 am »

Incidentally, well done on keeping up with the food intake despite the body saying no, this is something I had a serious problem with last year on the big rides and I came a cropper on the National 400 with a serious bonk as a result - I seem to have solved this now and you will too - just a bit of experience with eating often and small and I now set an alert on my garmin to eat something at 20 minute intervals (thanks to Eric Grill for the tip).

Also, I'm far from the largest rider in the audax community.  Wait till you meet the man mountain that is Folkdevil - I do not envy him hauling it up the hills - and he rides fixie!  :jurek:

Remember to turn off the Garmin when you're NOT Audaxing, else we'll have to rechristen you 'Man of Steel(works)(size)'

:)
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

caerau

« Reply #642 on: 25 May, 2014, 11:36:15 am »
Don't worry I don't generally feel the need to tuck into a malt loaf on my 20 minute commute when I get there  ;D

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #643 on: 25 May, 2014, 02:49:06 pm »
.. to make up my mind that the 10.03h from Machynlleth to Shrewsbury was the best way to get back to Chepstow.  ;)

I was going to join you due to stomach problems.  I left after you and was undecided if I'd turn off for Machynlleth or carry on on the route.  As it happened as soon as I started riding I felt much better, not worse.  I over took about 10 people on the ascent and carried on, finishing at 7:30pm

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
Bryan Chapman Memorial 2014 - A Thread
« Reply #644 on: 25 May, 2014, 03:06:35 pm »
but what if the Garmin alarm goes off on the commute. Eh? Eh? Eh?
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

caerau

« Reply #645 on: 25 May, 2014, 03:13:01 pm »
It does, oddly enough amazing as the Edge800 is, it hasn't a force-feed function yet that I'm aware off.

Perhaps the new 1000 can be hooked up to an intravenous pump to inject a measured amount of caik and ice-cream at timed intervals...

Bugloss

« Reply #646 on: 25 May, 2014, 04:55:53 pm »
I can't manage to get it up ;)
Here's a link to the album if you can be bothered to travel that far........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124884065@N07/sets/72157644824611531/

« Reply #647 on: 25 May, 2014, 06:12:11 pm »

Cracking photos  :thumbsup:
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

Bugloss

« Reply #648 on: 25 May, 2014, 07:17:00 pm »

Cracking photos  :thumbsup:

cheers, Iphone 4S :thumbsup:

« Reply #649 on: 25 May, 2014, 07:39:15 pm »
Yes, stunning pics Bugloss, stunning indeed  :thumbsup:
Does not play well with others