Author Topic: Television tonight: what's worth watching?  (Read 340347 times)

fuzzy

Re: Television tonight: what's worth watching?
« Reply #1775 on: 26 July, 2020, 11:33:48 pm »
Mrs F has recently gained access to More4. As a result, she is watching lots of Walter Presents stuff.
There are some cracking dramas on there.

« Reply #1776 on: 26 July, 2020, 11:46:55 pm »
^ I enjoyed "Spin" and a number of German and Skandi shows. There's a lot of "foreign trash" though, so you need to keep an eye out.
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #1777 on: 31 July, 2020, 11:59:17 am »
Mrs L and I are watching Waking The Dead from the beginning, on iPlayer.  How dated do cars from 2000 look?  Makes me feel old...

« Reply #1778 on: 31 July, 2020, 12:19:29 pm »
Not tonight, but no doubt on iPlayer if you missed the beginnings Once Upon a Time in Iraq. What an indictment of the invasion. Blistering stuff.
Agreed. Painful to watch at times. Thought-provoking. I'm learning a lot, mostly about the  number of untruths, the level of incompetence, the misjudgements and the missed opportunities by the Americans (I knew it was bad, but...); and the effect all that had on the innocent inhabitants of Iraq. Just what happens when you go to war, I suppose, and haven't thought about what you need to do when you win.

« Reply #1779 on: 04 August, 2020, 11:37:16 am »
The Edge on BBC2 on Sunday evening was very good. It covered the arc of the the England test team from one 5-0 disastrous Ashes series to another, having reached No 1in the world in between; roughly Andy Flowers' period as head coach from 2007-2015. It was less about the cricket itself than the effects (good and bad) test cricket and a certain style of management had on the players. And it featured some candid interviews with the likes of KP, Jonathan Trott, Steven Finn, Andrew Strauss and Andy Flower. Also a mix of behind-the-scenes and tv footage, and some original 'arty' shots. The blurb described it as 'funny' but I must have missed those bits unless they were referring to Graeme Swann's arsing around, or Jonathan Trott's OCD. Or maybe it was because Toby Jones was narrating, which was fine, but jarred a bit when things got dark.

« Reply #1780 on: 05 August, 2020, 09:53:50 am »
Mrs Legs and I were watching this Grand Designs a few nights ago and were struck by the lack of compliance to Part K of the Building Regulations (38:30 through).

« Reply #1781 on: 05 August, 2020, 04:26:45 pm »
The third series of Norsemen (billed as Series 0 since it's a prequel) on Netflix.  Provides some great background to the characters who were introduced in Series 1.  Fantastic scandi comedy and well acted.  Not for the kids though - frequent themes of sex and violence (well, they are Vikings....)

« Reply #1782 on: 08 August, 2020, 11:33:01 am »
Chernobyl mini series, with a NowTV one week free trial...  Very well done.  Scary to think how much worse the disaster could have been.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #1783 on: 08 August, 2020, 12:43:21 pm »
There's no shortage of worse disasters to choose from.  They tend to involve killing lots of brown people, and don't involve anything nuclear, so tend not to get films made about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_industrial_disasters

« Reply #1784 on: 08 August, 2020, 01:38:17 pm »
There's no shortage of worse disasters to choose from.  They tend to involve killing lots of brown people, and don't involve anything nuclear, so tend not to get films made about them.

Possible Chernobyl series spoiler, if you don't know the events...

(click to show/hide)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #1785 on: 08 August, 2020, 07:40:24 pm »

Bhopal is the one that comes to mind first.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1786 on: 08 August, 2020, 11:50:34 pm »

Bhopal is the one that comes to mind first.

A former employer did manage to flog Union Carbide their The Product, viz. the Suite for the Assessment of Flammable, Explosive and Toxic Impacts.  Unfortunately about three years after Bhopal.  That the scale of the disaster vindicated our mathematical models was scant consolation.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1787 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:46:55 am »
Well worth catching on iPlayer...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ljnb

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1788 on: 11 August, 2020, 11:01:32 pm »
The Edge on BBC2 on Sunday evening was very good. It covered the arc of the the England test team from one 5-0 disastrous Ashes series to another, having reached No 1in the world in between; roughly Andy Flowers' period as head coach from 2007-2015. It was less about the cricket itself than the effects (good and bad) test cricket and a certain style of management had on the players. And it featured some candid interviews with the likes of KP, Jonathan Trott, Steven Finn, Andrew Strauss and Andy Flower. Also a mix of behind-the-scenes and tv footage, and some original 'arty' shots. The blurb described it as 'funny' but I must have missed those bits unless they were referring to Graeme Swann's arsing around, or Jonathan Trott's OCD. Or maybe it was because Toby Jones was narrating, which was fine, but jarred a bit when things got dark.
Caught the 2nd half - surprisingly good. That squad were a very diverse bunch, they did well to give us insight into so many different personalities.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1789 on: 16 August, 2020, 09:20:21 am »
Another iPlayer programme worth a watch, The Australian Dream about Adam Goode’s, an Indigenous  AFL player and the racism he suffered. https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000lpv7

And for those with access to PBS, today and tomorrow the informative, and somewhat depressing (to me anyway) The Truth About Fat

« Reply #1790 on: 27 August, 2020, 04:47:10 pm »
Might be giving Baron Noir a go..., whilst waiting for Season 5 of The Bureau

« Reply #1791 on: 31 August, 2020, 04:04:03 pm »
If you are considering watching Mr Robot on Prime and ...
(click to show/hide)
simplicity, truth, equality, peace

« Reply #1792 on: 15 September, 2020, 07:36:30 am »
The David Millar "Time Trial" fillum is on the BBC Scotlandshire channel this Saturday 19th at 9pm.  :thumbsup:

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #1793 on: 15 September, 2020, 07:42:58 am »
The David Millar "Time Trial" fillum is on the BBC Scotlandshire channel this Saturday 19th at 9pm.  :thumbsup:

Prepare to be disappointed . . . . . . . in my opinion anyway - I saw it at a "special screening" and along with most of the audience came away having felt it was a waste of the ticket price.

Cue othere comments . . .

« Reply #1794 on: 15 September, 2020, 11:49:54 am »
BBC4, Saturday 21:00  The second TV series of Mystery Road. The dramatisation of the Jay Swan stories, a character originally seen in the films Mystery Road and Goldstone.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #1795 on: 15 September, 2020, 12:18:25 pm »
BBC4, Saturday 21:00  The second TV series of Mystery Road. The dramatisation of the Jay Swan stories, a character originally seen in the films Mystery Road and Goldstone.

One day I'll get round to watching Series 1, which has been a-lurking in the innards of the Memory-Box since it was first broadcast  :D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #1796 on: 18 September, 2020, 08:22:18 pm »
I'm not saying it's "worth watching" but The Armstrong Lie is on Sky Documentaries at 9pm... if you like That Sort of Thing™?

« Reply #1797 on: 18 September, 2020, 09:46:11 pm »
The long-awaited season 5 of The Bureau... Now available on the Sundance Now bit of Prime video in the UK. 10 Eps a must watch. Just need Spiral S8 to complete the box sets...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bureau_(TV_series)

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

« Reply #1798 on: 19 September, 2020, 06:22:16 am »
Just watched DES. A programme about Denis Nielsen a serial killer. Really awful, macabre scenes, turned my stomach., Mrs W really wanted to watch it, and we ended up discussing what on earth would turn someone into a monster. On a lighter note, looking at film of London 1980 looks like a different country. I think there's a, saying that goes"the past is a different country ".
Earlier on this thread, Legs said year 2000 looks old, I agree, but looking at the 1980 footage of 1970s motor transport reminded me of having to bump start both my motorbike and my dad's car. Squirting a product stalled Danp Start into the carburettor to aid starting. Driving a car with steamed up windows, whilst operating the choke, steering, changing gear etc. Funny how watching a programme sets off a whole series of memories. Wish I was 19 again, motorbikes and women and not a care in the world.

« Reply #1799 on: 21 September, 2020, 09:23:06 am »

Prepare to be disappointed . . . . . . . in my opinion anyway - I saw it at a "special screening" and along with most of the audience came away having felt it was a waste of the ticket price.

Cue othere comments . . .
Aye robgul, I see what you mean. Ok, some excellent visuals, especially the wet Milan - San Remo,  but it came across as more than a little self-indulgent.
Cue other comments . . .