Author Topic: Ashes 2013-14  (Read 17920 times)

Re: Ashes 2013-14
« Reply #175 on: 29 December, 2013, 09:17:58 am »
I suppose Brett Lee's out of practice now but he only hit the stumps once (and that was a leg stump) - I think you'd expect better when you knew the batsman was going to be at leg-slip for the whole over!  But Lee's action is superb.

If I were in Lee's position, I wouldn't be aiming for the stumps  :demon:

I think Hadlee's probably right over this:-

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/lee-could-killed-piers-morgan-hadlee-003256128.html#CFLzvfh

In a "real" match, Lee would have been taken off after a warning, I think.  It all looks a bit stupid.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #176 on: 29 December, 2013, 09:26:47 am »
Piers Morgan. Tosser.

Maybe he'll have a bit more respect for others after this. He's the epitome of sneering nasty journalism that helps fuel the critical 'me me me' society we live in.
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #177 on: 29 December, 2013, 10:52:39 am »
Absolutely - but the sentence is death?

« Reply #178 on: 29 December, 2013, 11:59:36 am »

I think Sir Richard was exagerating the danger somewhat. Professional cricketers get hit all the time and none of them have ever died (as far as I'm aware). Derek Randall got hit clean on his helm*tless head by Lillee (or was it Thomson?) in 1977 and just rubbed it better and carried on!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #179 on: 29 December, 2013, 03:06:02 pm »
Roger Davies "died" on the pitch in that his heart and breathing both stopped after being hit on the head but he was fielding, not batting. Peter Lever hit a batsman (can't remember who) and the batsman's heart stopped for a time. ISTR that Lever was so affected b.y the incident that he was never the same bowler afterwards. Charlie Griffiths hittan Indian batsman and fractured his skull.

Glamorgan players fielding at short leg were in the habit of wearing crash helmets long before they became customary for batsmen. I remember seeing Tony Cordle wearing one, I think when playing in the 1960s, which was before the Roger Davies incident.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

LEE

« Reply #180 on: 29 December, 2013, 07:28:08 pm »

I'm not sure if it's a death sentence or not (they wear crash helmets and lots of armour) but I could happily watch Brett Lee bowl at Piers Morgan all day.

« Reply #181 on: 29 December, 2013, 07:34:11 pm »
What an odd piece of film. Really bizarre.

As much as it's easy/perfectly acceptable even, to criticise Bret Lee, what on earth was PM thinking?
Like....is he a cricket fan? Does he even understand the basics of the game? What was he expecting from a fast bowler? Does he even know who Bret Lee is? [A retired test cricket bowler too].

I can only deduce that he's utterly clueless about top level cricket, or he needs the publicity. Maybe both are true, but I doubt the latter actually. He surely doesn't need the publicity. He has to clueless about cricket. Surely. Who would want to face that kind of bowling?

Anybody, who has even half an incline about what it's like at the highest level of the game would know that, essentially, the likes of you and I, would have a job even seeing the damn ball, let alone trying to get a bat to it. If we could see it, we'd be doing really well. As as for playing a shot? Not a cat in hells chance. Sorry, no bloody chance. And PM reckons he's a cricket fan? Yeah, right.

And really, why the hell should Bret Lee treat him like a 12yr old?
"You want to know what it's like in the middle? .....well here it is mate!"

Bit of advice PM - stick to slagging off from the sidelines of a television studio....it's easier.

[And don't mention Bodyline either.......they haven't forgotten :)]
Garry Broad

« Reply #182 on: 29 December, 2013, 08:06:05 pm »
Yes.  I often go over the road to watch the cricket at my village club, who play in the Central Lancashire League, a high enough standard to be used by up and coming and down and going professionals from foreign countries (I saw the sublime Rohan Kanhai play in the 70s).  If I sit on the boundary between the wickets, I can barely pick up the flight of the ball when the quicks are on and I wouldn't be surprised if the nets where PM faced Lee had no sight-screen.  I'm not sure how old PM is (cue Cary Grant jokes) but I would imagine he's at the stage when your eyes start going - even if they were any god in the first place.

When I was a  schoolboy I remember (or think I do) that there were sessions where you could face an over from the notoriously accurate, and therefore relatively safe Brian Statham, for a fee.  If you got a bat on the ball at all, you got a reward.  Most people were bowled four or five times and LBW the rest.  Lee is nothing like the bowler Statham was, in spite of his beautiful action but I think he's a lot faster and therefore more dangerous.  I suspect PM of being a public schoolboy, which is why he thought he ought to accept the challenge.

Jakob

« Reply #183 on: 29 December, 2013, 10:48:25 pm »
Well, he's not the first Australian to take a journalist to task after slagging off athletes:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/iLdCXWUdaIo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/iLdCXWUdaIo&rel=1</a>

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #184 on: 31 December, 2013, 10:51:05 pm »
I understand that Piers Morgan has a broken rib after his encounter with Brett Lee.

« Reply #185 on: 03 January, 2014, 09:13:08 am »
And the Aussie lower middle order gets the top 5 off the hook again.  :facepalm:

Apparently the Aussie top 5 have averaged in the order of 130 for the first innings of these five tests. The lower order (last 5 wickets) has averaged 214. So whilst both sides have regularly been at 100-4 or 130-5 the Aussies have been able to throw the ball to Johnson and blow away the english tail so that they are all out for 200 or less and Haddin et al have dug the Aussies out of their hole to reach 300+

Hats off to Haddin, the English bowlers just haven't been able to come up with, and execute, an appropriate plan to get him out cheaply.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #186 on: 03 January, 2014, 09:21:51 am »
Haddin and Smith were bashing us around,in full control, for the two hours I watched.

« Reply #187 on: 03 January, 2014, 10:24:38 am »
Serious case of deja vu.  Haddin's been very good value for Aus.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #188 on: 03 January, 2014, 01:44:57 pm »
one thing we have never been good at is getting rid of the tail enders, if you watched the Windies back in their heyday they would steam in and give the tail enders an extra yard and the same with the Aussies they get it up in the ribs, we on the other hand always seem to back off or by the time the tail comes in to bat we're out of energy. I don't see any reason to bowl differently to tail end batsmen than openers the only ones I would make an exception for would be the other teams quicks who would be bowling at me later :) not that I would ever claim to be a bowler, keeping wicket is where it's at for me :)

« Reply #189 on: 04 January, 2014, 12:40:54 am »
This could be interesting.

England's lowest innings score in a test was 45 in Aus, 1887.    http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/records/145832.html

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #190 on: 04 January, 2014, 12:44:12 am »
300 behind & still 5 wickets left  :thumbsup:

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #191 on: 04 January, 2014, 12:45:37 am »
Off to bed. With a gout attack - somewhat less painful than watching England  ;D

« Reply #192 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:31:17 am »
England top five batsmen went for a total of 19 runs.  Losing with style?

« Reply #193 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:55:00 am »
Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse....
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #194 on: 04 January, 2014, 01:55:09 pm »
well if I wasn't the pessimist I am it would be down right bloody embarrassing, hang on it is bloody embarrassing. 

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #195 on: 04 January, 2014, 01:59:14 pm »
Why is it embarrassing? You don't bear some of the responsibility for the England team's ineptitude, do you?  :P

« Reply #196 on: 04 January, 2014, 11:28:16 pm »
When it can't possibly get any worse, it does...the nadir: 23 for 5. 
I always fancies the Aussies, but I never thought it would be like this.
Please let this series be over. We just can't take anymore!  :)
Garry Broad

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #197 on: 05 January, 2014, 01:37:34 am »
420 runs in two days? No problem, as long as we can have three innings.

clifftaylor

• Max - "make mine a Beophar Hairball Paste please"
« Reply #198 on: 05 January, 2014, 07:50:16 am »
Thank you, and good night  ::-)

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #199 on: 05 January, 2014, 09:05:02 am »
As I predicted, one innings wasn't enough. In fact we probably would have struggled with three.