Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 65175 times)

Re: Heating on?
« Reply #375 on: 21 December, 2021, 07:17:05 pm »
Our rates which I fixed (rightly or wrongly, but this was a week or so before Martin Lewis said don't fix) in September are:
Lectric: 22.59p/kWh
Gas: 4.81p/kWh

That’s pretty good. Mine (from April) are 18.1 and 3.15.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #376 on: 03 November, 2022, 08:17:35 pm »
Next door had theirs on today.  Southern* softies!

* South Indian/Sri Lankan ancestry, I think.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #377 on: 03 November, 2022, 09:19:49 pm »
Leccy full bore here is just under 60p kWh. This from a company that does not use oil or gas.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #378 on: 03 November, 2022, 09:50:31 pm »
Our heating is temperature controlled with four periods you can set for each day. Yesterday it briefly kicked in as the house temperature dipped below the minimum for early evening.  But it didn’t come on today as house has stayed above minimum without heating on.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #379 on: 04 November, 2022, 05:54:27 pm »
The heating came on in advance of the alarm clock for the first time this morning.

« Reply #380 on: 04 November, 2022, 06:15:02 pm »
I've just prodded mine into fiery life.
And been running it at full chat.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #381 on: 04 November, 2022, 07:00:18 pm »
Cottage heating install finished - first time the heating's been on for 3 years (photos taken during install) :)

IMG_20221102_080633_456 by ian, on Flickr

IMG_20221102_080706_573 by ian, on Flickr

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #382 on: 04 November, 2022, 07:02:48 pm »
How exciting
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #383 on: 04 November, 2022, 07:41:05 pm »
Due to suffering bad back and neck pain, I haven't moved much today and so got pretty cold.
Override button hit at about 4 o'clock.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #384 on: 04 November, 2022, 10:30:45 pm »
Heating still off, except in the bathroom where turning it off means no hot water either. Still in shorts too. Well, sort of below-the-knee shorts. Cropped trouser like, but not cropped.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #385 on: 04 November, 2022, 11:54:47 pm »
Was a bit nippy in the Great Hall this pm in spite of the sun pouring in all arvo.  But I shall hold off until at least Monday, because I'm away this w/e.

« Reply #386 on: 05 November, 2022, 06:25:16 am »
We've just come back from an unwanted 3 weeks in Majorca where daytime temperature is regularly >27°. So we're feeling the chill a bit, and the heating is most definitely on.
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #387 on: 05 November, 2022, 12:29:39 pm »
It's bumped itself on a little bit in the mornings the last two days.

CommuteTooFar

• Inadequate Randonneur
« Reply #388 on: 02 December, 2022, 12:11:43 pm »
Last night I swapped my Summer Tog 4 quilt for my Winter Tog 10 quilt.   Lovely and snug.  Last night I decided to not get out of bed until Springtime. Damnit I got up at 7am.  After shopping I noticed the thermometer in my living room was showed it went down to just 10 degrees.  That's cold enough for me.  Heating now on. Not much for me but I plan to have half a nice bottle of wine and 10 degrees is not the room temperature I think it needs.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #389 on: 02 December, 2022, 02:13:27 pm »
We cracked yesterday based on having made it to December. Although last week we were in a friend's house in the Hebrides enjoying the benefits of the air source heat pump!

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #390 on: 02 December, 2022, 06:28:50 pm »
Used the 'leccy fan heater in the Estate Office a few times until the PC gets warmed up but still not fired up the dodgy boiler :thumbsup:

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #391 on: 02 December, 2022, 08:47:40 pm »
We've turned ours up a bit. Jan has had a couple of asthma attacks today, and there's a strong correlation with those and cold air.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #392 on: 03 December, 2022, 07:40:37 am »
Stroke risk is much higher if you're cold.  Yes, in t'olden days there was no CH, but people sat round the living room fire or the kitchen range.  They didn't shiver in a home office.

If it's really because you can't afford it, fine, you have to take the risk, but a hairshirt approach is probably not sensible.

A good rule of thumb for middle-aged and older people is that the living room, assuming that's where you are sedentary, should be 21 deg C.  That is still jumper territory if you're doing nothing.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #393 on: 03 December, 2022, 10:38:55 am »
Pingu would be sitting about in his pants if it got to 21C! That was wood stove territory at the last place.
I seem to have a cold nose until about 18.5 and then by 19.5C I'm quite warm.
Pingu's always telling me I have a very narrow operating temperature window.

When the plumber comes to service the boiler I'm going to ask him to quote to put a larger radiator in our bedroom. I don't think it's big enough. (In an ideal world (one where I had money to burn) I'd be getting the flat roof on the dormer replaced with an insulated one and internally insulating all the walls but that's not happening).

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #394 on: 03 December, 2022, 12:01:11 pm »

Despite the heating being on, and having been on for well over a month. When I got home last night my flat was cold. The temp sensor by at about waist height on the shelf was showing 21.5°C. Even with a jumper on. I was cold. Really cold. My feet were really cold too, despite having on my expensive merino wool socks. I moved the sensor from the shelf to about 100mm off the floor. 19.0°C. A 2.5°C temp gradient over about 1m. The Radiators are warm, the area immediately around them is warm, but it's not getting into the room. I think I'm gonna rig up the fan to move some air from around the radiators to the rest of the room. Thermostatically controlled radiator valves are a great idea, but when the sensor is 200mm from the radiator, yet the humans are nearer 3000mm away, it doesn't make for a representative view of the room's temperature.

Currently my bed is about 300mm off the floor in the bedroom, where it was also about 19°C. I slept with a cloak over the top of the duvet last night cos I was so cold.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #395 on: 03 December, 2022, 12:37:32 pm »
I got really cold while concentrating on some programming stuff the other day.  Unusually for me, this involved a GUI, so lots of mousing to test things, and my hands got really cold.  In spite of my usual September-June habit of keeping whichever hand I'm not currently using clamped between my thighs, or around my shoulder/neck for warmth.

Room temperature in the 21-22C range.  Which is perfectly comfortable for everything between my knees and wrists; any hotter and I'd be sweating.

« Reply #396 on: 03 December, 2022, 01:50:48 pm »
Our ‘stat isn’t calibrated of course, although it was in close agreement with the readout on my redundant travel alarm clock. We’ve set it to 17.5C at around head height. Seems to be ok for both of us (65 and 78) to stay feeling warm, even sitting watching tv. When we have a fire (as we will tonight, the first of the season) we’ll try and keep it below 20C otherwise it’s uncomfortably warm. The fire is around 4m from the ‘stat.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #397 on: 03 December, 2022, 02:53:54 pm »
I got really cold while concentrating on some programming stuff the other day.  Unusually for me, this involved a GUI, so lots of mousing to test things, and my hands got really cold.  In spite of my usual September-June habit of keeping whichever hand I'm not currently using clamped between my thighs, or around my shoulder/neck for warmth.

Room temperature in the 21-22C range.  Which is perfectly comfortable for everything between my knees and wrists; any hotter and I'd be sweating.

Last year the mgmt put a new heating/air con system into the lab office at work. But only in the open plan area, not for the small offices dotted round the perimeter of the building which are shittily insulated and also contain radiators which I recently found out are heated by ASHP (which explains why they are always tepid, especially given as they don't seem to have them set to run early enough).
So the mini office I timeshare with my absent boss is freezing in winter.
One particularly bad day last year I found myself Googling for heated fleecy mouse pockets. Like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Heated-Mouse-Warmer-Wristguard-Winter/dp/B018V7WYIY

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #398 on: 03 December, 2022, 05:19:15 pm »
That's ridiculous!  I love it!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #399 on: 04 December, 2022, 05:42:48 pm »
A mouse pogie!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.