Author Topic: Heating on?  (Read 65154 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Heating on?
« Reply #625 on: 08 November, 2023, 05:30:13 pm »
The additional info you have given = install TRVs
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #626 on: 13 November, 2023, 07:54:14 am »
Just put it on for the first time this season.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #627 on: 13 November, 2023, 08:50:44 am »
We have the thicker duvet on. And daytime heating at 16˚
It is simpler than it looks.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #628 on: 13 November, 2023, 11:47:48 am »
Looks like I can hold out until the end of the month due to mild temperatures for the next few days and then being away for a couple of weekends  :thumbsup:
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #629 on: 13 November, 2023, 12:20:09 pm »
Not at Pingu Towers, but at my place of work.
Boiler (which heats the kitchen, toilets and lab in the R&D building) is being replaced over the next few days. Everywhere freezing.
R&D office - this is a mainly open plan area with offices round the outside edge of the building. This was all supposed to be heated with ground source heat pump (Ha). After much complaining about temperatures over many years, the big boss man got a new system installed in the ceiling of the  open plan office, so that's all nice and toasty. Why did you not extend it to the offices on the outside (and therefore coolest) part of the building? (the ceilings are all connected).
I'm sitting with an oil filled heater under my desk. Cold nose, cold toes but warm lap.
Yes I know, this should be in the rant thread...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #630 on: 25 November, 2023, 10:47:30 pm »
We've cracked today.... but only for about 30 mins this evening as fhoot was alarmed by the speed at which the number on the smart meter was increasing!  We have been spoilt for the last few months by hardly incurring any energy costs on account of the solar, reality is biting again now.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #631 on: 28 November, 2023, 06:20:18 pm »
Used the 'leccy fan heater in the Estate Office this arvo.  Will probably fire up the dodgy boiler after I've et me dinner.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #632 on: 01 December, 2023, 11:25:47 am »
Failed to switch it on the other day but the thermostat decided for me overnight in spite of being turned all the way down.  Which is sub-10 degrees.  Eeep.

« Reply #633 on: 01 December, 2023, 12:35:40 pm »
Finally popped it on. Don't really need it on as house tends to sit at about 17⁰ with 4 people in it using showers, oven, and the stove on for an hour or so. New doors have added to the excellent insulation of the house.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #634 on: 01 December, 2023, 03:20:45 pm »

Came home, and found the wonders of passive solar gain meant the heating is off, and it's 24.5°C in my flat.

Last weekend I was in the UK, the place I was staying was 15°C when I arrive, and quickly got upto 18° once the heating did some work. I don't know how you lot manage at such cold temps. 17°C or below I was unable to even use my phone cos my hands were so cold.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #635 on: 01 December, 2023, 05:39:35 pm »
We went to Birmingham to visit #1.  When we got up in the morning, he'd already gone to work, so we wandered down to the new (to us) café on Bournville green. Very much to be recommended. 1
When we got back,  the house was absolutely freezing. I realised that it would be set to come on for when son normally gets home.  So I inspected the boiler for signs of an override, with no joy.  Eventually found the remote in his bedroom but changing from auto to manual and raising the temp didn't help.  I didn't realise that when fiddling with the boiler, I'd knocked a hidden touch switch that turned it off altogether.
It was really bloody freezing, and we had to sit wrapped in blankets until he came home.

Perhaps this should be in the Div thread.

1 very good grub. Including a posh, non-greasy 'Full English'.  However get there at mid morning as the place suddenly completely fills with bournville yummy mummies weilding large pushchairs  at 12ish.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #636 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:25:58 pm »

Came home, and found the wonders of passive solar gain meant the heating is off, and it's 24.5°C in my flat.

Last weekend I was in the UK, the place I was staying was 15°C when I arrive, and quickly got upto 18° once the heating did some work. I don't know how you lot manage at such cold temps. 17°C or below I was unable to even use my phone cos my hands were so cold.

J
I manually toggle between ~17°C and ~19°C.
Fuck thermostats.
I know whether I'm too warm or too cold, I don't need a 'stat to tell me.
This evening's duvet has been upgraded from 11 togs to 13.5 togs.
It was a bit parky last night.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #637 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:34:01 pm »
I have not mastered the dark art of remote thermostat control. I believe it can be done, but it requires a computer science degree or equivalent. Jan and I have been away for a couple of days and of course I turned the heating off.

When we arrived home at about 7.20, the inside temperature was 8°C. It has now risen to 13°C. We have the central heating on, a fan heater working and an oil-filled radiator.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #638 on: 01 December, 2023, 08:40:27 pm »
Time to reinvestigate them wireless thermostat wossnames coz putting the thermostat in the unheated hall was the act of a madman.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #639 on: 01 December, 2023, 09:02:00 pm »
Ha! Agree there...
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #640 on: 01 December, 2023, 09:11:19 pm »

Never did understand why UK homes seem to put the thermostat in the hallway. Feels like very bad design.

That and having only one thermostat...

J
--

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #641 on: 02 December, 2023, 01:43:37 am »
Never did understand why UK homes seem to put the thermostat in the hallway. Feels like very bad design.

Ease of access from the telephone seat, obviously  ;D

To be fair, it makes some sense to have it away from the kitchen and anywhere with a fireplace, which would have been most living rooms at the time that central heating was first a thing.

When my parents had some heating work done in the mid 90s, I persuaded them to install a separate zone with its own thermostat for the living room / dining room / kitchen, which was pretty unusual at the time.  We then re-located the primary thermostat to the upstairs landing, which worked well for regulating the bedrooms.

These days, it's much easier to control each room separately.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #642 on: 02 December, 2023, 08:04:16 am »

Ease of access from the telephone seat, obviously  ;D

To be fair, it makes some sense to have it away from the kitchen and anywhere with a fireplace, which would have been most living rooms at the time that central heating was first a thing.

When my parents had some heating work done in the mid 90s, I persuaded them to install a separate zone with its own thermostat for the living room / dining room / kitchen, which was pretty unusual at the time.  We then re-located the primary thermostat to the upstairs landing, which worked well for regulating the bedrooms.

These days, it's much easier to control each room separately.

Our main Hive thermostat is on a step halfway up (or down!) the stairs off the hall - we have an element of "room control" in 3 rooms with Hive radiator valves that are used just as "time switches" - they are set for a temperature a couple of degrees above the main thermostat and timings for when we use/don't use those rooms (with an allowance for warm-up/warm-down) - works for us.

« Reply #643 on: 02 December, 2023, 08:17:03 am »
With my new double-glaze windows and front porch (with composite front door) I set the heating
temperature to 19°c in my mid-terraced house*. This keeps it toasty-warm. Once it is switched to
a lower setting the house remains warmer for longer than before the home improvements.

*Built in about 1910 (no cavity walls).

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #644 on: 02 December, 2023, 08:17:42 am »
One of the advantages of not having wet heating is that electric heating is very easily and precisely controlled. Every room in my house has its own thermostat, with a minimum and target temperature which changes throughout the day. If I leave the house and go more than a certain distance away, the heating goes to anti-freeze mode, and is reset to heating mode when I pass that distance on my return. My hot water is also electric, and uses a Tesla immersion that learns when I need and don't need hot water, and also knows when I'm not in the house. The installation is cheap compared to a boiler and wet heating system, though electricity prices mean it most certainly isn't cheap to run just now!

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #645 on: 02 December, 2023, 08:49:13 am »
I put the stat in the kitchen to keep it away from the wood stove until I realised a 5kW wood stove can heat the whole house, so I never use the stove and CH at the same time (the CH is only used on office days).  Then I moved the stat to the living room.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #646 on: 02 December, 2023, 10:43:41 am »
We've got new doors replacing the 100 year old ones. We now have a (minor) condensation issue.  Have finally put the heating on, although house has been sitting at about 17⁰ without it but an hour of wood-burner in the evening.

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #647 on: 02 December, 2023, 11:00:11 am »
I have a sneaking suspicion that the apparently-b0rked timer clock wossname on my boiler has unb0rked itself; this doubt planted by coming downstairs some time after midnight to cold radiators even though by the thermostat's reckoning the heating should still have been on ???

FifeingEejit

• Not Small
« Reply #648 on: 02 December, 2023, 12:31:28 pm »
Was rudely awoken the other morning by being cold, it now being below confirmation rt for the 4.5 tog duvet, 10.5 now in use.
Needs to get really cold before the heating wakes me up at night

Good 7cm of snow here so the leaks letting the freezing gale in the walls through into the room can be easily found today (why is it always behind furniture? )

Sent from my IV2201 using Tapatalk

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #649 on: 02 December, 2023, 12:55:44 pm »

I don't know what the tog rating of my duvet is, cos I live in a metric world... But I've recently moved to having a double wool blanket on top of the duvet. Alas somehow in my sleep I keep managing to shed one of the 3 layers (blanket, duvet, double wool blanket), and then wake up feeling cold.

I do keep the bedroom a lot colder than my living room. Usually by at least 3°C.

J
--