Author Topic: Food Crimes  (Read 17902 times)

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
Re: Food Crimes
« Reply #50 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:02:59 pm »
Apricots.  All of 'em.  Anywhere.

Mishmish in Hebrew and Arabic: just how you know what to reject on your travels...

I think the chances of my encountering either on my travel are slim.  No souk in Battle Mountain.  Nor even a Wol-Mart.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #51 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:05:18 pm »
Perusing Sainsbury's website, I see
Taste the Difference Black Forest Gateau flavoured porridge
Taste the Difference Figs in Blankets (bacon & fig) flavoured potato crisps
Jalapeno & cheese pigs in blankets
Snowy Blond Chocolate Spread (white chocolate & caramel)
Spiced Ginger Biscuit flavour Irish Cream Liqueur

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #52 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:08:05 pm »
Jalapeño & cheese pigs in blankets actually sound quite nomworthy, just not for Xmas dinner.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #53 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:10:55 pm »
Mishmish in Hebrew and Arabic: just how you know what to reject on your travels...
I think the chances of my encountering either on my travel are slim.  No souk in Battle Mountain.  Nor even a Wol-Mart.

Not all eateries translate all menu items. This could help in Walthamstow or wherever.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #54 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:12:48 pm »
Jalapeño & cheese pigs in blankets actually sound quite nomworthy, just not for Xmas dinner.

Could be worth a try...

Mr Larrington

• Custard Wallah
« Reply #55 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:28:26 pm »

Not all eateries translate all menu items. This could help in Walthamstow or wherever.

My idea of eating out in 've 'stow is a takeaway Indian once or twice a year :P

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #56 on: 01 November, 2022, 11:47:58 pm »
I agree with what has been said above re mayonnaise. I'm really quite surprised that they named after an Irish county.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #57 on: 02 November, 2022, 07:48:28 am »
...My Dear Wife and I did find a rather good recipe last week involving a butternut squash and a courgette (these had been bought by accident)....

How in Dogs name does one accidentally purchase a butternut squash? Or, indeed, a courgette??
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #58 on: 02 November, 2022, 07:57:15 am »

Also this. I've never quite understood the point of margarine, when butter exists:

Surprsingly it was invented by that nation of culinary Je ne sais quoi the French I believe. To provide to the troops on Napoleon's march on Moscow. And it's cheap to make. Although, having been to a Margarine producing factory (at the humourously named Port Sunlight) I'd never touch the stuff.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #59 on: 02 November, 2022, 08:22:22 am »
Almost ant Christmas 'novelty' food put out by Big Supermarkets.

I've not yet seen what delights are on offer this year but I'll see what's around...
Taste the Difference Figs in Blankets (bacon & fig) flavoured potato crisps
Jalapeno & cheese pigs in blankets
Snowy Blond Chocolate Spread (white chocolate & caramel)
Spiced Ginger Biscuit flavour Irish Cream Liqueur
Helly has won the thread.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #60 on: 02 November, 2022, 08:44:08 am »
...My Dear Wife and I did find a rather good recipe last week involving a butternut squash and a courgette (these had been bought by accident)....

How in Dogs name does one accidentally purchase a butternut squash? Or, indeed, a courgette??

A Riverford order which contained a substitution.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #61 on: 02 November, 2022, 08:59:34 am »
<snip> Also croissants that don't contain chocolate.

Croissants which are contaminated with stuff like chocolate. I like my croissants plain and toasted with added butter.
I find it hard to believe you could be so misguided on such a serious topic. The only function of a croissant is to make your hands greasy then fall apart in a flakey mess, revealing the inner cargo of chocolate or maybe jam. Also, is it really possible to toast a croissant without alerting the fire brigade? I will concede that extra butter might mitigate some of the damage.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #62 on: 02 November, 2022, 09:01:33 am »

A Riverford order which contained a substitution.

Which begs another thread for creative substitutions in online shoppiing surely!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #63 on: 02 November, 2022, 04:29:42 pm »

I'm glad the Black Forest cake I had for dessert today didn't come from Malsainsbury's.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #64 on: 02 November, 2022, 05:02:43 pm »

I'm glad the Black Forest cake I had for dessert today didn't come from Malsainsbury's.
When cigarette advertising was first banned in the UK, one of the fag manufacturers (Could've been Benson & Hedges Winston) came up with the following strapline on their street posters: 'We're not allowed to tell you anything about our cigarettes, so, in the meantime, here's a picture of a wok in the black forest ' - showing a picture of a Black Forest Gateau with  a wok pushed firmly into it. 

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #65 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:08:51 pm »
Mayonnaise in EVERY bloody sandwich on the shelf, even the ham and cheese has bloody mayonnaise.

Yes. Vile stuff! :sick: I'm fed up of having to read through all the ingredients whenever I buy a sandwich/wrap/whatever, in search of the elusive "no mayo" variants.

Ffs. The place we had dinner tonight, even the ketchup came with Mayo. I asked for a separate ketchup uncontaminated by the vile slime.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #66 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:19:42 pm »
er, ketchup-and-mayo is de-rigeur in The Netherlands...
It is simpler than it looks.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #67 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:21:16 pm »

Yes. But when you ask for Ketchup. You expect to get ketchup. Not ketchup and a side of mayo...

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

ian

« Reply #68 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:26:52 pm »
Mayo has its place, but it's sloppy ubiquity on every sandwich is criminal. More so, since it's never good mayonnaise, which should feature good oil, egg yolk, a splash of vinegar and not an ingredient list of twenty items. Why does mayo need to contain sugar? Who ever made mayonnaise and thought, you know, if only this were sweeter. Like most things it's worse in America. The miracle in Miracle Whip is that a single spoon of the stuff is enough to make your pancreas lament. It's basically like they fused mayonnaise and icing. I remember because I can't forget the first time I was served a sandwich with tuna and Miracle Whip. Ever wanted an iced tuna cake? Me neither. Deep trauma. I think I genuinely have PTSD.

This brings me on to more significant food crime: 'lite' versions of food. Firstly that taste horrible, ersatz simulacra of the real thing, as enticing as a thrice photocopied and then faxed naked lady picture. Secondly, they're basically sugar with added sugar and concoction of other ingredients that read like the Sigma Aldrich chemical catalogue.

I may as well round out with a triumvirate of food crime, ones that will be rightly punished in their time. That's Asian food without MSG. That's not even a facsimile of Asian food. You are offending an entire continent and they are frankly not going to take it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #69 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:30:32 pm »

Yes. But when you ask for Ketchup. You expect to get ketchup. Not ketchup and a side of mayo...

This leads us neatly onto brown sauce, which is some sort of northern conspiracy against colourblind people.

« Reply #70 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:31:45 pm »
Mayo has its place, but it's sloppy ubiquity on every sandwich is criminal. More so, since it's never good mayonnaise, which should feature good oil, egg yolk, a splash of vinegar and not an ingredient list of twenty items. Why does mayo need to contain sugar? Who ever made mayonnaise and thought, you know, if only this were sweeter. Like most things it's worse in America. The miracle in Miracle Whip is that a single spoon of the stuff is enough to make your pancreas lament. It's basically like they fused mayonnaise and icing. I remember because I can't forget the first time I was served a sandwich with tuna and Miracle Whip. Ever wanted an iced tuna cake? Me neither. Deep trauma. I think I genuinely have PTSD.

This brings me on to more significant food crime: 'lite' versions of food. Firstly that taste horrible, ersatz simulacra of the real thing, as enticing as a thrice photocopied and then faxed naked lady picture. Secondly, they're basically sugar with added sugar and concoction of other ingredients that read like the Sigma Aldrich chemical catalogue.

I may as well round out with a triumvirate of food crime, ones that will be rightly punished in their time. That's Asian food without MSG. That's not even a facsimile of Asian food. You are offending an entire continent and they are frankly not going to take it.
Sigma Aldrich eh?
Now that's an interesting website.

« Reply #71 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:34:41 pm »

This leads us neatly onto brown sauce, which is some sort of northern conspiracy against colourblind people.
Brown sauce? That gets you into Don Logan Territory

ian

« Reply #72 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:39:43 pm »

Sigma Aldrich eh?

Probably showing my age, it's all online now, but back in the day you'd thumb through the book, thinking of the most dangerous chemical you could buy and hand over to the least-favourite work-study student in the lab.

« Reply #73 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:44:04 pm »

Sigma Aldrich eh?

Probably showing my age, it's all online now, but back in the day you'd thumb through the book, thinking of the most dangerous chemical you could buy and hand over to the least-favourite work-study student in the lab.
As one does.
ETA:
They sell magnesium and sodium chlorate.
Guy Fawkes is but a couple of nights away....

« Reply #74 on: 02 November, 2022, 06:57:00 pm »
Porridge with a bit of cocoa powder added is quite nice. And I usually add raisins, or other dried fruit. Not tried adding cherries, could be good.