Author Topic: Any experience of Miche or Ambrosio Hubs?  (Read 1717 times)

Any experience of Miche or Ambrosio Hubs?
« on: 18 June, 2020, 06:29:55 pm »
I've decided to replace my dead Campag hubs with either Miche Primato Syntesi or Ambrosio Zenith hubs. I've no knowledge of either. Before I commit, would anyone care to share their experience? TIA.

Re: Any experience of Miche or Ambrosio Hubs?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2020, 08:19:34 pm »
I had a fixie with Ambrosio track hubs. In the 10 years I had the bike, the hubs caused me no bother whatsoever.
I am often asked, what does YOAV stand for? It stands for Yoav On A Velo

« Reply #2 on: 19 June, 2020, 06:19:57 pm »
Big Al at Wheelcraft sells lots of both hubs for builds very popular.
 Whats wrong with campag?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 19 June, 2020, 06:29:03 pm »
HK and I have done a lot of audax miles on our Moultons using Miche Racing Box/ RG2 hubs (think they are the same as Primato) for Campag cassettes. The bearings have been replaced a few times and a freehub body once but the hubs are the thick end of a decade old. I’d be happy enough to buy them again. These hubs are somewhat less hassle than the Tune rear and Moulton front hubs that replaced them on one Moulton a couple of years ago.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 19 June, 2020, 06:30:10 pm »
The Miche Primato is currently my rear hub of choice. 3 of my most used bikes have them.

« Reply #5 on: 19 June, 2020, 08:40:44 pm »
Miche Primato is a nice solid hub. Probably a sealed bearing equivalent to Ultegra.

Ambrosio are, I think, Novatec A171 and F172. Cycle Clinic has the unbranded Novatec at a good price. Never used them, but suspect they’re fine.

« Reply #6 on: 19 June, 2020, 10:14:37 pm »
IME both are typical of the breed; the cartridge bearings can have too much preload, and not enough good grease or good sealing.  If these things are attended to and they are not treated to an ongoing in-use salt spray corrosion test, they can be good hubs.

cheers

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #7 on: 21 June, 2020, 09:13:32 am »
Miche track hubs have a well-known flaw in that the locknuts can split in half due to the serrations being too deep and too sharp (or crappy steel).  Any M10 locknuts are ok as replacements.  I think I scavenged some from an old Deore rear hub when they split on Sam's fixie.  Imagine how disastrous that would have been if he'd had to fix a puncture halfway through the Dun Run last year.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #8 on: 21 June, 2020, 11:17:22 am »
photos?

In the event of an in-use failure, would you not have been able to carry on without it? How thick are the ones that break?

cheers