General Category > Further and Faster

Base training

(1/444) > >>

simonp:
I decided that this year, after PBP, I would avoid the drop in fitness that I usually have. Firstly, I am doing Bristol Ariel's 'Learn to Row' course which is 6 weeks long two sessions a week. I'm really enjoying that.

However, I also decided I would embark on a base training programme immediately after PBP. The first 4 weeks have been quite tedious, to be honest. It's consisted of 4 endurance-zone workouts (with some form drills that do help relieve the tedium) per week, which started at 90 minutes in week 1, and peaked at 2h last week (week 3). This is week 4 and it's a recovery week so down to 4x1.5h endurance.

What I noticed in the first few weeks was the drop in HR for the same effort level - in fact the average has dropped by over 10bpm. I suspect this indicates PBP recovery rather than training.

Next week it changes up and I'm looking forwards to some variety. On Tuesday I should be doing an FTP test and that will adjust the following workouts to my current training level. Then on Thursday, there's a two hour tempo session, Saturday has a 2h15 Tempo session and Sunday a 2h15 endurance session. However as I'll be rowing on Sunday, that would be the one to drop.

Ok, so maybe I'm not looking forwards to next week after all.
 :facepalm:

I'm hoping that by starting already that by spring next year instead of having to rebuild from a low base I'll be building on top of what I've gained this year. We'll see how that goes.

Chris S:
I've decided to enjoy a Transition Phase before starting base training again.

Mostly this has involved:

1. Nursing post-PBP aches and pains.
2. Abandoning an audax due to (1).
3. Getting a cold.
4. Putting on weight.
5. Eating poorly, which has failed to help (1) and (3), and more than succeeded in helping (4).

:thumbsup:

The rowing machine is making come-hither faces, but I'm looking the other way and playing hard to get.

simonp:
I hope your lurgy clears up soon. And the knee.

Squats last night. My legs are telling me all about it.

Chris S:

--- Quote from: simonp on 17 September, 2015, 01:49:21 pm ---I hope your lurgy clears up soon. And the knee.

--- End quote ---

I'm hoping this coming weekend will kick me into life.

simonp:
Right, the first 4 weeks are done. I skipped Thursday (sore from squats) and Saturday. But I did ride for 3 hours today, which compensates.

Fitness test coming up on Tuesday.  :sick:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version