Author Topic: Mildenhall 2017  (Read 8436 times)

Mildenhall 2017
« on: 01 April, 2017, 07:04:43 pm »
I have received the following email from Mark the organiser of the event.

“Hello Alan
As a supporter of our Cycling Rally, we want to make you aware first of some exciting changes to this year’s event.
After last year’s very successful test event at a new venue based around West Row Village Hall, we will be reverting to a full three-day event this year.
We will be relaunching it as the Mildenhall Cycling Festival with a new logo and website! We will though be retaining all the favourite parts of the old Rally, combining them in a superb rural and family friendly site.
 We expect to have finalised all the details for this year in the next 2-3 weeks and will then update our website.
 When the event is launched, we will email you again.
 I look forward to welcoming you all to Mildenhall again this year.
 Regards
Mark
Chairman
Mildenhall Cycling Club”

Good news for all of us who regularly attend. I will post a reminder when final details are announced.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

Re: Mildenhall 2017
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2017, 07:20:49 pm »
Good news Alan.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: 24 April, 2017, 07:21:32 pm »
Further information about the event, this is an edited version of what Mark has sent to me:
"Hello Alan
 As promised in our last email, we are launching this year’s event this week.
 For those that had requested to be sent the Information leaflet, they have been posted today.
 The new Mildenhall Cycling Festival website www.mildenhallfestival.bike will be live from Thursday. This as usual will include being able to book your camping or caravan pitch with discounts available if you book before 29th May 2017!
The organisers have been working on this project for the last eighteen months with the very accommodating trustees of the Village Hall complex, who have made changes and improvements to their facilities to cater for the three-day Festival. These will be complemented by the upgraded toilets and the separate blocks of individual showers for Men and Women.
The Rally was known throughout the UK’s cycling community as one of the best all-round cycling weekends that appealed to cyclists of all ages and especially families. We hope this move to the picturesque venue that surrounds the West Row Village Hall complex the Festival will appeal to the next generation of cyclists too.
The new venue means the organisers are once again able to offer camping and caravan facilities from 4pm on Friday 25th August 2017. To reward the loyalty of those that regularly support the event the prices of pitches are discounted, so if you book before the Spring Bank-Holiday, a Cycle-Camper pitch will be £25 while a Motorised pitch for car and tent or caravan will be £36.
The organisers are very keen to promote the environmentally friendly aspects of cycling and are offering an incentive to those that cycle to the Festival. When they book their cycle camper pitch, they will get a £5 voucher that they can redeem on their arrival, which if they booked at the discounted rate their pitch will cost them just £20 for the whole weekend.
After 29th May, the prices will be £28 for the cycle-campers and £40 for the standard pitch.
I look forward to welcoming you all to Mildenhall again this year.

Regards
Mark"

I hope to see many of you there.
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2017, 07:26:52 pm »
Just got that too.  Full-height showers?  It just won't be the same...

Hoping to be there.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2017, 07:32:31 pm »
Just a thought. Is worth asking Mark if it is possible to group all yacfers together?
Home

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2017, 07:35:32 pm »
They may have already thought of that and put a group name field on the as yet to be launched booking page (which is how York do it).  But it can't hurt to ask...

« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:39:39 pm »
Rich are you attending this year? Will you be taking your satnav?  :demon:

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #7 on: 25 April, 2017, 02:46:27 am »
Got that too, take it no one read the bit at the top that said embargoed until midnight 26/4/17  ;D

Yes me and Dawn plan to be there. Probably not riding over Bob but will have my Google routed gps with me  :P
Our plan is to cycle round East Anglia the week after towards Sandringham for the following weekends ALC camping meet.

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #8 on: 25 April, 2017, 12:53:51 pm »
They are moving the event full time to West Row?? Seems a strange decision if they want anyone to go to it. That place makes middle-of-nowhere look like London.
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 25 April, 2017, 01:14:14 pm »
They are moving the event full time to West Row?? Seems a strange decision if they want anyone to go to it. That place makes middle-of-nowhere look like London.

Mildenhall's already the middle of nowhere, so for non-locals the only practical difference is that you'll need your bike to nip to the shops.

Plusminus differences in site facilities of course.  I suppose we'll find out...

« Reply #10 on: 25 April, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »
This does mean........ is not within staggering distance from ye pub?

« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2017, 01:44:26 pm »
If like me you are cycling 160 miles to get there, another 2 miles makes little difference.
Home

« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2017, 09:40:44 pm »
Maybe from a different pub?
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #13 on: 25 April, 2017, 09:55:21 pm »
back end of August  :thumbsup:

I won't be on holibobs, so will attempt to sign up for a recumbent 200 this year
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #14 on: 26 April, 2017, 10:41:28 am »
Mildenhall is ridiculously hard to get to, especially when compared to York.  West Row is no real stretch (though it may well be noisier).
Getting there...

« Reply #15 on: 26 April, 2017, 10:52:19 am »
The only pub in the village is Jude's ferry, at the far end of the village. The White Horse was closer, but was demolished a few years ago.
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2017, 10:13:07 pm »
Mildenhall is ridiculously hard to get to, especially when compared to York.  West Row is no real stretch (though it may well be noisier).

Mildenhall is as easy as pie to get to (refraining from profanity), just ride/drive down the A 1101 and turn right into West Row
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2017, 09:28:58 pm »

Mildenhall is as easy as pie to get to (refraining from profanity), just ride/drive down the A 1101 and turn right into West Row
;D
It probably depends on one's starting point.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #18 on: 28 April, 2017, 05:50:32 pm »
Home

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #19 on: 10 May, 2017, 09:09:23 pm »
Works hols still uncertain at this point, but still keen to go down there. I went last year to the "keeping the rally going" event. It's about 150 miles but I managed to amass over 600 - darn satnav....

Regulator

• That's Councillor Regulator to you...
« Reply #20 on: 11 May, 2017, 07:58:41 am »
Subject to work and Mr R, I'm planning to be there. 

Let's see what Kevin can tempt me with this year....
Quote from: clarion
I completely agree with Reg.

Green Party Councillor

« Reply #21 on: 04 August, 2017, 10:57:12 pm »
Who is going to this? I am of mixed mind atm due to new location and £40 to take the car over, which seems a bit steep. Last time I rode there with Rich F and D which was most enjoyable and experienced bibilical torrential rain (once again) over the week end and on the way back.  So Reg, Alan and who?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 04 August, 2017, 11:03:22 pm »
Barakta and I are planning to be there.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #23 on: 05 August, 2017, 06:33:30 am »
I have just unwittingly booked 5 nights in Wales for this period. Bugger!

We are staying near Ceri and Newtown, Kim.  :facepalm:
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #24 on: 05 August, 2017, 11:44:37 am »
Still going to be there. I intend to cycle there doing a roundabout route taking 4 or 5 days. It is probably the last moving on camping ride I shall do age has finally caught up. Still intend to tour B&B or hostels and go to fixed base events so unfortunately you haven't quite seen the last of me.  ;)
Home