Author Topic: 'Relation calculator'  (Read 1577 times)

'Relation calculator'
« on: 15 March, 2012, 12:14:50 am »
Quite a neat function.

What e.g. relation is your father's mother's sister's daughter's son...

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=father%27s+mother%27s+sister%27s+daughter%27s+son
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: 'Relation calculator'
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2012, 07:34:28 am »
By absolute chance I was trying to work out, for my daughters, the relationship to their :   "Father's brother's son's son"  ... the site told me : First cousin, once removed, and a 1/32nd blood line    [Wry smile about "once removed" ... the child is yet to be born, due in May]

Rob

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #2 on: 15 March, 2012, 09:31:08 am »
I've often wondered, if a good chum of mine who is my wife's brother's wife (in other words my wife's SiL, or my BiL's wife) is my sister-in-law, my sister-in-law-in-law, or neither of these
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #3 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:16:32 pm »
By absolute chance I was trying to work out, for my daughters, the relationship to their :   "Father's brother's son's son"  ... the site told me : First cousin, once removed, and a 1/32nd blood line    [Wry smile about "once removed" ... the child is yet to be born, due in May]

Rob

I had also looked up a line that is: First cousin, once removed, but it's different (goes back to great grandparents) - http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=father%27s+mother%27s+sister%27s+daughter
Is that right?
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #4 on: 16 March, 2012, 01:48:36 pm »
Probably - the remove is in the other direction.
It's when one party and the parent of the other party are actual first cousins, and doesn't matter which way around.
So one party's grandparents are the other party's great-grandparents
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #5 on: 17 March, 2012, 08:55:52 am »
I'll bet that calculator doesn't work in Swindon.
It is simpler than it looks.