Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 869453 times)

Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2550 on: 05 October, 2012, 02:06:38 pm »
I am stupidly happy about my latest purchase.

I had one pair of lovely winter tights that I wore on almost a daily basis the past 2 winters. They got me through audaxes in Januarys without so much as a chill and had a very comfy chamois. They were washed literally hundreds of times and remained as good as new. They were tights and not bib tights which wouldn't work for me when I'm wearing heaps of clothing on top in winter. They didn't have silly stirrup things under the feet like the ski pants people wore with stillettos in the early 80's. I lurved them and they had 2 unfortunate accidents last spring. The dogs found them in the washing machine and chomped a piece out of their chamois. I continued to wear them and then we had our tandem badger crash and they (and me) received a giant hole in our knee. Meanwhile they were a 2009 model that Assos had discontinued and they had nothing like it in their range any more. They were out of stock everywhere, and even a website in Switzerland that took my order phoned to say they were sorry, they could no longer get stocks. I bought some other tights to wear over my shorts and I hated them. I was dreading this winter. Then this week after the usual fruitless search for old stock in all the online cycling shops, in desperation I did a Google search and found someone calling themselves the Assos Factory Outlet. They claimed to have stock, in my size, and free shipping. It seemed too good to be true, so I ordered but didn't hold my breath.

This morning I have my paws on a brand new pair identical to my well loved ones. It isn't normal to be this stupidly happy over a pair of tights  :facepalm:  ;D

I'm now going to work overtime to get another pair from them while I still can!

Chris S

« Reply #2551 on: 05 October, 2012, 02:10:17 pm »
You'd better order a top too. You'll catch a chill going out dressed like that.

« Reply #2552 on: 05 October, 2012, 02:11:29 pm »
You'd better order a top too. You'll catch a chill going out dressed like that.

;D

« Reply #2553 on: 05 October, 2012, 05:29:28 pm »
The moths are having a good time! I've gone and bought one of these

http://www.youtube.com/embed/KzQoUy3wHd0

Now I just need to buy a rear rack with the appropriate holes to fit it.

« Reply #2554 on: 05 October, 2012, 10:38:30 pm »
Pair of discounted but still ridiculously expensive Gore tex winter boots of the Shimano variety. Sizing seems a bit hit and miss so have gone large. These things better last or I will become a tad cross.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2555 on: 05 October, 2012, 10:42:09 pm »
This morning I have my paws on a brand new pair identical to my well loved ones. It isn't normal to be this stupidly happy over a pair of tights  :facepalm:  ;D

In the interests of heading off such a situation in future, I've just ordered another pair of the Enduras I bought a couple of months ago, which turned out to be a) warm  b) unpadded  c) approximately Kim-shaped.  Normally it's one of those "pick any two" decisions.

« Reply #2556 on: 05 October, 2012, 10:44:12 pm »
I am beginning to think that pads are more trouble than they are worth if you have a decent saddle.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2557 on: 05 October, 2012, 10:46:50 pm »

This morning I have my paws on a brand new pair identical to my well loved ones.

So does she.  :D
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2558 on: 05 October, 2012, 10:52:37 pm »
I am beginning to think that pads are more trouble than they are worth if you have a decent saddle bike.

FTFY

« Reply #2559 on: 05 October, 2012, 11:30:06 pm »
I spent a bit too much on shoes, a pair of pants, a t-shirt and a jumper. I bought the Muxu stuff directly from Muxu, since that should save me some. At both Alwaysriding and Muxu I got charged significantly more on Paypal than advertised, but that's probably to do with a different exchange rate.

I blame Rapha, because I returned their City Trousers because they are too tight around my thighs, even though the same size Rapha Trousers fit just fine. I also didn't really like the color difference at the back, and it is beyond me why the price difference is that large. I bought the City Trousers with two discounts combined though.
Anyway, I needed a new pair of trousers. And I wanted the black merino t-shirt from Rapha but that's gone now. I also need a new pair of shoes, without the PBP-transponder in the laces. Oh and it's getting chilly and I have very little decent long-sleeve stuff.
Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. It has been too many days since I have ridden through the night with a brevet card in my pocket...

« Reply #2560 on: 06 October, 2012, 08:39:09 am »
That's a useful expensive site to know, Feline! Thank you.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2561 on: 06 October, 2012, 06:25:06 pm »
Well arrived today rather than bought. Two short sleeve merino base layers from On one. I can confirm they are nice and soft and warm :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #2562 on: 06 October, 2012, 08:23:28 pm »
The on one marino base layers are bargainous.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2563 on: 06 October, 2012, 10:28:02 pm »
Rainlegs and a keep-your-ears-warm wool Walz cap.

« Reply #2564 on: 06 October, 2012, 11:20:00 pm »
Some Endura Urban Pants which are really nice, and a Sealskinz Belgian cap which won't see much use for a couple of months yet as it's properly toasty.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #2565 on: 06 October, 2012, 11:32:55 pm »
You might need it sooner than you think. We're forcast sub-zero out of town tonight  :-\
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #2566 on: 07 October, 2012, 07:49:07 am »
A trip into condor was never going to end well now was it?

Rapha long sleeve jersey in orange? Couldn't resist.

Sme gore overshoes - slightly lighter weight ones than I use in the depths of winter, but a bit smaller to pack into the saddle bag.
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #2567 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:48:29 am »
Saturday: Picked up a Giant something or other frameset for buttons off the bay, also a rather lovely Dawes Horizon in blue. The postman brought me some chainring bolts which I have immediately lost.

Today: Some rather delicious Specialized carbon forks. So light that I thought he'd brought me an empty box, I think the bubble wrap weighed more!
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #2568 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:54:22 am »
Well arrived today rather than bought. Two short sleeve merino base layers from On one. I can confirm they are nice and soft and warm :)
They're very good - I bought a load of them last year.
The long sleeved version with zip in particular is full of win.

Speaking of On-One, I ordered their '4 Seasons Bundle' yesterday - admittedly I don't really need yet another pair of mitts, but I'd have been perfectly happy to pay £29.99 just for the windproof gloves and the overshoes - the other bits are a bonus.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2569 on: 08 October, 2012, 10:54:51 am »
Not today, but on Saturday (was busy arguing and other stuff yesterday).  Not for me, but for Mrs T and TLD:
2* magic hats (both their old ones were >5 years old and had suffered large amounts of abuse in that time)
cycle shorts
trousers (lined, Craghopper Kiwi type)
long fingered gloves
silk under gloves
3/4 shorts
Merino base layer.

Ordered:
Altura Night Vision jacket in purple
LAS Victory helmet (for me!)

the last 3 things on the bought list were from our local Mountain Warehouse, the base layers are nice and thick and only £25 each (190gsm), the 3/4s are cheap Hummvee copies, but only £25 too and the silk liner gloves are only £15 a pair!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2570 on: 08 October, 2012, 12:38:26 pm »
And today:

A 103mm square taper BB to sort out a second fixie (for sale!)
Chain for the same as I only seem to have 3/32" ones, and the chainring and sprocket are both 1/8"
A lock for my brother (well not for him, but for his bike) after a conversation last night made me realise he LOVES riding his Flying Scot but is frightened about leaving it anywhere due to thieving scrotes.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jane

• Mad pie-hating female
« Reply #2571 on: 08 October, 2012, 12:45:48 pm »
Yesterday, from the bike jumble sale outside Look Mum No Hands, the cutest pair of leather vintage Italian cycling shoes, for 25 quid.  I knew having little feet would come in handy sometime.

« Reply #2572 on: 08 October, 2012, 01:14:10 pm »
Rim and spokes from cyclebasket.

Hope I got the spoke lengths right . . .
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #2573 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:26:41 pm »
A nice shiny pair of  Shimano PD-M324 (SPD+flat) pedals so I can ride my old tourer in normal shoes and hopefully use it a bit more. Bought from that well-known cycling emporium Amazon.
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #2574 on: 08 October, 2012, 09:46:57 pm »
Late to the game but just bought a garmin edge 800. Actually it arrive on Saturday, just in time for a first outing on the Tasty Cheddar

Garmin are about to launch its replacement, I would guess, judging by the price cuts on Amazon and elsewhere. Fine by me, happy to get a lower price on older tech, but you've now got a non-functioning market where amazon are selling new 800s for quite a bit less than used ones are going for on *bay. So if you're thinking of upgrading an 800, now's the time to sell!