Author Topic: Bought any cycling stuff today?  (Read 869282 times)

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
Re: Bought any cycling stuff today?
« Reply #3125 on: 05 March, 2013, 05:49:55 pm »
Yay! :D I like the pink. You need pink bar tape to match, of course.

I don't like the pink, of course.  But you would have already guessed that, and it is utterly completely irrelevant because it isn't for me.  What matters is the you love it!  And I would _definitely_ still be seen out in public with you on a pink bike.  Not least because I have a sneaking suspicion that nobody will even see the pink because they will be too dazzled by the enormous grin!

So... you've gone clipless before me.  Got a road bike before me.  And own more bikes than I do.

I feel my work here is done :D

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3126 on: 05 March, 2013, 07:27:20 pm »
A Surly 'Ultra New' hub for the 29er, plus matching sprocket and lockring - or rather, I've ordered them from the LBS; if Ison get their collective arses into gear then I may well have them by the weekend.

Fook me, the hubs are expensive but if I want a disc-capable fixed-gear hub then I don't exactly have a lot of choice (on the plus side, given appropriate spares the pretty much all of the hub is field-serviceable)

Comedy Off-Road is about to become a whole lot more comedic.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3127 on: 06 March, 2013, 08:19:59 pm »
I, too, paid a visit to the LBS. I ordered a new rear wheel to match the front on the Dave Yates. Ultegra hub, 12-30 cassette and a319 rim. Ordered 2csets of br-r453 too, see other thread. Oh and some Conti Speed ride tyres.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3128 on: 07 March, 2013, 07:20:46 pm »
 A Carradice Zipped Roll ( a Maggie) in green, from a chap on the CTC forum...and a set of brake blocks for the Hanlon project.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3129 on: 08 March, 2013, 12:59:12 am »
I wasn't sure where to post this as it was an unexpected gift that arrived today (it was CrinklyUncle who bought it).  The pink might not be to everybody's taste but I love it and I've wanted one of these since seeing one last year at the rally in York.

Yay! :D I like the pink. You need pink bar tape to match, of course.

I can oblige with pink bar tape, if you so desire . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #3130 on: 08 March, 2013, 07:42:10 am »
Yesterday I received some shiny new Shimano RT82 shoes and an Altura Etape LS jersey (the very LOUD YELLOW version). :)

« Reply #3131 on: 11 March, 2013, 10:07:05 pm »
I succumbed. New pair of wheels, mavic rims, deore xt with Shimano dyno, associated bits, cyo 60, and new cassette. Strewth. Gruel for the rest of the month. And no I cant afford the SON but would like to.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3132 on: 11 March, 2013, 10:12:53 pm »
Had a delivery from Germany of another Shimano dynohub, Open Pro rim and spokes. As it looks like my son is getting more serious about wanting to do miles with me, it's time to put some proper lighting on his bike. Hopefully we'll have time to build it up before the uts at weekend.

« Reply #3133 on: 12 March, 2013, 01:52:25 pm »
Wheel stuff for me as well:-

Hope Evo 2 hubs (red).
Hope QRs (red).
Hope buzz-saw rotors (red).
Velocity A23 rims (black with red stickers).
Sapim CX ray spokes (black except for the silver spokes that will go either side of the valves).

The Hope stuff has been supplied by the LBS. I had to get the rims and the spokes off the 'net.

I hope that I've got the spoke lengths correct.

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3134 on: 12 March, 2013, 08:24:52 pm »
I am in Kempen in Germany at the moment.

I have just bought 4 Schwalbe Marathon tyres for my trike.

The tyres are about £25 each in the UK at the moment.

I got them on German eBay for 14,50€ each with 5€ postage (to the address I am at in Germany) which means I got four for only slightly more than two would cost in the UK. Bargain.

Oh, and I'm not soooooooo far away from Rose Bikes. I need to ensure I don't accidentally go there.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3135 on: 12 March, 2013, 08:43:34 pm »

You appear to have mis-counted your wheels :)

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3136 on: 12 March, 2013, 09:04:22 pm »

You appear to have mis-counted your wheels :)

Spare in the boot?

I've just bought a scull cap to wear under my helmet in preparation for a coooold ride to work tomorrow. :hand:
216km from Marsh Gibbon

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #3137 on: 12 March, 2013, 09:29:00 pm »
I have 1 tyre at home. That will go on the back wheel - the front wheels eat through tyres four times as quickly as the back wheel so I tend to have to buy the tyres in pairs.

My brake froze again today but it was -4. Forecast for tomorrow morning in Kempen is -10.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Snakehips

• Twixt London and leafy Surrey
« Reply #3138 on: 13 March, 2013, 04:42:39 pm »
I didn't buy it , and it wasn't exactly today , but I recently got one of these  .........

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?

interzen

• Venture Altruist
  • Agent Orange
    • interzen.homeunix.org
« Reply #3139 on: 13 March, 2013, 04:45:21 pm »
Yesterday I received some shiny new Shimano RT82 shoes and an Altura Etape LS jersey (the very LOUD YELLOW version). :)
I've just bought one of those - LBS had it in fat-bastard size and it was marked down  :thumbsup:

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #3140 on: 13 March, 2013, 05:16:41 pm »
I didn't buy it , and it wasn't exactly today , but I recently got one of these  .........

I know a certain person, who hit a particular age in June last year, who has one of them.

I got a green one at the same time he got that.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #3141 on: 13 March, 2013, 05:51:39 pm »
^^^
I can identify with the T-shirt

8)

Juan Martín

• Consigo mi abrigo
« Reply #3142 on: 14 March, 2013, 07:11:41 pm »
A two-prong freewheel remover to remove the Maillard freewheel I haven't fitted yet.

« Reply #3143 on: 14 March, 2013, 08:47:43 pm »
72 spokes, a large bag of nipples and an Alfine Dynamo hub.
guess what I'm doing this weekend!

« Reply #3144 on: 14 March, 2013, 08:49:17 pm »
A patch kit and wax for my Carradice bag. Bought the other day, arrived today.

Heavily considering building the dynamo wheel for my new bike rather than getting someone else to do it. Might buy the ebook everyone recommends and have a read at the weekend.
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

« Reply #3145 on: 15 March, 2013, 12:45:43 am »
Wheel building is fun.
The easiest way to start is to put a new rim on an old wheel, but building from scratch is super satisfying.

« Reply #3146 on: 15 March, 2013, 12:17:12 pm »
A Jtek Shiftmate #3 for my impending Campag 29->SRAM 32 (or 34) cassette conversion.
I just need the spokes to arrive and it'll be full steam ahead with the wheel build and the conversion since I have the hubs, rotors, QRs, rims and new derailleur.

Minor rant: OK, £5 VAT charge but £8 Royal Mail handling fee ? WTF ?
At least Dick Turpin wore a mask.

« Reply #3147 on: 15 March, 2013, 01:41:09 pm »
I blame this entirely on Fungus to alerting me on Facebook to Rapha's weekend women's sale. I've wanted the women's Rapha waterproof jacket since seeing Simon's but was no way going to pay £180 for one. Half price was just too tempting to resist though .....
I will worry about the credit card bill next month  :facepalm:
The jacket is truly lovely though, and might get an outing on the Cheltenham flyer tomorrow if it's wet.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #3148 on: 15 March, 2013, 07:43:45 pm »
Simon has a woman's Rapha jacket?  ???
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #3149 on: 15 March, 2013, 08:59:11 pm »
I've just bought Roger Musson's Wheelbuilding book, will have a peruse and maybe a trip to B&Q this weekend for truing stand bits and pieces  :thumbsup:
Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1