Author Topic: WEDNESDAY Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride  (Read 187487 times)

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
Re: Thursday Night Northallerton and Environs Social Ride
« Reply #50 on: 09 March, 2012, 11:06:53 am »
Re: last night.  A few observations.

I ate so much food I nearly burst. Fish and chips for the second time in a day along with about 27 side dishes which seemed to bear no relation to the main courses.

Nice for once to be on roads I know. Normally in the dark I haven't got a clue where I am, but last night I knew absolutely at all times, exactly where I was.  This led to me charging off down roads I know, and resulted in a split on the way back to Northallerton. 

The moon was indeed a marvellous sight.  Shame about the cloud cover on the way back. 

As usual a nice chat in the pub.  Amongst other things I remarked upon how much better my social life is now I'm in my 40s.  In my 20s I didn't have one, but then I spent my 30s with LG and she gradually has got me trained up.  She is naturally more sociable than I am and I've lost count of the number of times she has kicked me up the arse to get me to go to things I would otherwise be too miserable or insular to go to.  Thank you LG.

In addition to the arse kicking, I have also learned how to use the internet, and this has become a valuable tool in the war against insularism, as it makes it much easier to find other like minded people.  So thank you Tim Berners-Lee, Alan Turing and the rest...
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #51 on: 11 March, 2012, 11:37:08 am »
This week, looking at the weather forecast, the wind is going to be from the South.  It is also forecast to be clear overnight.

So I propose that we do hills, lanes and fish finger sandwiches (hopefully avoiding mad dog woman).

Who's in?
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #52 on: 13 March, 2012, 02:24:57 pm »
Thursday this week?  where do people meet and what sort of time?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #53 on: 13 March, 2012, 02:26:16 pm »
Meet @ THoFC (just around the corner from NTR station) and anytime between 18:00 and whenever we set off (usually more 19:00 than 18:30, unless we really need to get a move on :) )
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

« Reply #54 on: 13 March, 2012, 02:58:33 pm »
I will see if 't firstborn is free. He wants to get some more cycling in - we could train it up to northallerton and ride back to york after pub.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #55 on: 13 March, 2012, 03:00:53 pm »
 :thumbsup:  :thumbsup: If you can make it, that would be great.

I will PM you my address (along with directions) so you know where to go.

« Reply #56 on: 13 March, 2012, 03:02:32 pm »
ah, no can do, he's busy being a toyboy in Liverpool that night.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #57 on: 13 March, 2012, 03:11:26 pm »
I'm supposed to be touring this week, but I've spent the day recovering breathing capacity from a thick cold over the weekend so haven't gone.

I may be up for Thursday - probably park my car somewhere nice near NTR and have a good day ride round the area first :)

Might give me a chance to pick up the frame as well :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

tiermat

« Reply #58 on: 13 March, 2012, 03:19:15 pm »
I'm supposed to be touring this week, but I've spent the day recovering breathing capacity from a thick cold over the weekend so haven't gone.

I may be up for Thursday - probably park my car somewhere nice near NTR and have a good day ride round the area first :)

Might give me a chance to pick up the frame as well :)

You could park at THoFC, and yes, pick up the frame and the tent! :)

I will be about, but working, all day.

I shall send you a similar PM to the one I have just sent MrC.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #59 on: 13 March, 2012, 03:24:12 pm »
ok thanks. I'll make my mind up after a shakedown ride tomorrow.

tiermat

« Reply #60 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:39:41 am »
A quick list of tonight combatants

Me
CL
CU

Still to confirm
Mcshroom
Crusty
MrCharly

I will say it again, there is fish finger sandwiches and Copper Dragon involved tonight :)

« Reply #61 on: 15 March, 2012, 08:52:23 am »
Ah, I think I'm out for this one. MasterCharly is otherwise engaged (busy fulfilling his duties as a toyboy).

We do have a plan for coming along soon. MasterCharly is keen to have something social to do that also involves bikes.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

tiermat

« Reply #62 on: 15 March, 2012, 09:07:07 am »
From the sound of your day so far MrC, the best therapy for you would be to jump on a TPE @ Leeds, get off at NTR and go for a ride with friends.

Just sayin'

It might also be helpful to persuade MasterC by being able to give him a first hand account :)

thelazycyclist

• where's crusty?
    • thelazycyclist
« Reply #63 on: 15 March, 2012, 09:21:00 am »
I'll be there.  Not fussed about the Copper Dragon, but I do like fish fingers. 

Not sure if LG will be riding.  Probably not, but she said she'll pick me up if not, and just come along for the fish fingers and beer. 

See you later.
The friendly landlord helped us put our bikes into his very big shed.  Very carefully we did not fall into the acid bath which was there.

tiermat

« Reply #64 on: 15 March, 2012, 09:30:33 am »
I'll be there.  Not fussed about the Copper Dragon, but I do like fish fingers. 

Not sure if LG will be riding.  Probably not, but she said she'll pick me up if not, and just come along for the fish fingers and beer. 

See you later.

Cool  :thumbsup:

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #65 on: 15 March, 2012, 02:20:03 pm »
Sorry I'm going to drop out of tonights ride, have a good one.

tiermat

« Reply #66 on: 15 March, 2012, 02:51:53 pm »
So Me, CL and Crusty so far then, haven't heard anything from Mcshroom, so shall, at the moment, assume he is a DNS :)

ETA: CU, don't tell me last night killed you :(

CrinklyUncle

• #TCRNo6cap23
« Reply #67 on: 15 March, 2012, 03:09:12 pm »
The ride didn't but sat in 4 degrees for 40 minutes at Thirsk station nearly did (I should have gone to the pub to wait).

I didn't get in to work early enough to get to yours in time and I also need an early night, as before work tomorrow we are going to sell CA's car.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #68 on: 15 March, 2012, 04:18:00 pm »
So that she can buy one of those bikes with funny shaped bars?  \o/

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #69 on: 15 March, 2012, 04:29:56 pm »
I'll be there tonight. Currently sat in a pub in Bedale

tiermat

« Reply #70 on: 15 March, 2012, 04:36:57 pm »
I'll be there tonight. Currently sat in a pub in Bedale

\o/ brill

LindaG

« Reply #71 on: 15 March, 2012, 04:44:33 pm »
What time shall I meet you at the pub?

tiermat

« Reply #72 on: 15 March, 2012, 04:46:58 pm »
20:30? that *should* give us enough time to get there, barring any major mis-haps.

tiermat

« Reply #73 on: 16 March, 2012, 11:05:08 am »
That was yet another brilliant night, a little chilly, but still brilliant.

In the end there was 4 of us cycling.  there was me, CL, Crusty and Mcshroom (who, the lucky bastard, had spent the day touring round the area before coming to THoFC ready for the ride)

So off we went, along Sandy Bank lane, with its optical illusions followed by flat bits.  Up Moor Lane took us the gentle climb way to Upsall, then two stupid fast downhills (stupidly fast for the dark anyway) and into South Kilvington.  Through Thirsk market place, around Town End whereupon we came upon a group of chavs surrounded by police cars (I counted 6) and an Ambulance.  Broken glass on the road completed the picture, but no indication of what had happened.  We walked our bikes through the road block then up Station road to the sound of our phones ringing in turn as LG was trying to find out where we were.

Then we arrived at the Fish Finger butty pub!  Beer, FF butty, burgers and garlic mushrooms were consumed (not all by the same person :) ), chat was chatted (but I missed most of it as my hearing aid battery packed up near Upsall, must remember to put spares in my seat pack) then we split up at 22:30, crusty heading back by car as he was happy with the 50 miles he had done that day (standards obviously slipping as he would have done 100 miles at one time), CL headed off to the station for the train home and myself and Mchroom headed off up the road back to NTR.

We arrived back around 23:45, I handed over a nice 501 Raleigh frame and chanset, made Mcshroom a coffee then saw him off before I went to bed, to be told off by Mrs T as she had texted me about 10 minutes before, worried about where we were (in the kitchen talking was my answer, which didn't go down well!).

I was reminded last night that it is 11 months, near enough, since we started these and I have enjoyed every one, long may they continue :)

LindaG

« Reply #74 on: 16 March, 2012, 11:12:02 am »
I was texting because I had that awful sinking feeling I get when I've turned up at the wrong pub in the wrong town.  Like when I went to Beningborough to meet MSeries and Crusty - and they were waiting for me in Boroughbridge.  Luckily it was the right pub.

It was a good night.  I drove past the 'incident' in town, saw many police cars, dogs, the ARV!  and then caught sight of a pile of bikes, which gave me a bit of a turn.

So I turned round and drove past again in case it was you lot, and it wasn't, so I went to the (right) pub.   It was grand catching up with McShroom, and it's always lovely to see Tiermat and Crinklylion  :)  I overdid the Copper Dragon somewhat, but never mind.

I just need to stop falling off my bike so I can do the pubbe run properly.