Author Topic: Lawnmower issue: fix or new?  (Read 1180 times)

Lawnmower issue: fix or new?
« on: 21 March, 2024, 03:10:21 pm »
So the handle has broken off on one side of the mower due to corrosion.  I guess it's not worth fixing, but open to suggestions.  Recommendations for a new mower, and what sort:  petrol, corded electric or cordless?

lm by a o, on Flickr
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Re: Lawnmower issue: fix or new?
« Reply #1 on: 21 March, 2024, 03:22:30 pm »
Buy a replacement deck off the internet new or second hand and transplant all the bits.

I've done it once or twice.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #2 on: 21 March, 2024, 03:42:17 pm »
I'd probably bolt it back on.

If I were replacing a mower, would go cordless electric these days. Seen a demo and been quite impressed.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 21 March, 2024, 04:20:50 pm »
Scythe.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2024, 04:42:39 pm »
I guess the size of the lawn is important first.  I would also start by looking at a battery powered mower as Mr C suggests.  if you want a petrol mower then I have been converted to Honda.  When we moved to our house 19 years ago the owner hassled and hassled me to buy her mower.  I had a perfectly good Briggs and Stratton one but in the end gave in for some peace and quiet.  Best thing I did.  The mower is brilliant, starts first time every time.  I have been so impressed that if I had to buy a new mower tomorrow I would only look at a Honda for a petrol mower.  They are not cheap though.

And if you want to be really green then do as Cudzo suggests.  Or buy a goat  ;D

« Reply #5 on: 21 March, 2024, 04:43:40 pm »
Thanks all.

Looked on fleabay - not much deck wise.  One described as 'strong' looks like it has a hole below where the handle attaches...

re. bolting.  I have some decent new metal drill bits so this may be doable...

I actually have a smaller scythe, but think I should be able to work something out with the lwnmwr...   ;D

ETA. may soak the exposed metal in Kurust as well.

« Reply #6 on: 21 March, 2024, 04:46:44 pm »
I guess the size of the lawn is important first.  I would also start by looking at a battery powered mower as Mr C suggests.  if you want a petrol mower then I have been converted to Honda.  When we moved to our house 19 years ago the owner hassled and hassled me to buy her mower.  I had a perfectly good Briggs and Stratton one but in the end gave in for some peace and quiet.  Best thing I did.  The mower is brilliant, starts first time every time.  I have been so impressed that if I had to buy a new mower tomorrow I would only look at a Honda for a petrol mower.  They are not cheap though.

And if you want to be really green then do as Cudzo suggests.  Or buy a goat  ;D

Yes Honda v.spendy. 

« Reply #7 on: 21 March, 2024, 06:47:10 pm »
I have a twice used scythe I can sell you.

« Reply #8 on: 21 March, 2024, 11:11:06 pm »
What type of scythe please? Austrian? I would be interested..

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #9 on: 21 March, 2024, 11:53:05 pm »
I guess the size of the lawn is important first.
This is the crux of it.  Battery lawn mowers are very effective and quiet these days but do spank their batteries.
Or buy a goat  ;D
And invest fences.  A lorra, lorra, LORRA fences.  Houdini had absolutely nothing on your Mk1 goat.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #10 on: 22 March, 2024, 10:08:00 am »
Probably going to give attempting to bolt the handle bracket back on a miss...

hole by a o, on Flickr

« Reply #11 on: 22 March, 2024, 10:22:16 am »
Bit of duct tape, a few cable ties . . .

In your situation, if I could afford it, I'd buy a replacement mower.

If a bit short of cash, I'd screw a plate of scrap metal over that and bolt handle to scrap.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #12 on: 22 March, 2024, 12:01:52 pm »
Thanks.  OOI what cordless e mower engine power would be similar to the petrol mower?

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #13 on: 22 March, 2024, 02:28:23 pm »
There's a cordless mower at my mother's house.  I don't think it's especially powerful, having used it a few times.  Not one for people who cut the grass once a fortnight.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #14 on: 22 March, 2024, 04:43:50 pm »
Cordless makes sense if you have other tools that use the same system, so you can share batteries and charger.
I'd look for something with 2x18V batteries, should be more powerful than a single one.

« Reply #15 on: 22 March, 2024, 10:51:13 pm »
We brought a Makita mower. 2x18 Volt. It's good. Choice of deck sizes, friends have brought the next one up for their larger lawn.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #16 on: 23 March, 2024, 12:18:52 pm »
Because I already have Ego cordless stuff, with 56v batteries, I'd go for that.  They're not cheap, slightly more expensive than a basic Honda Izy mower, but obviously cost less to run, especially if you have solar PV.  They're not cheapy little things intended for tiny suburban gardens, but proper mowers, and they even do a ride on one (very spendy!)  I have their strimmer, chainsaw (MUCH better than a Makita one), and hedge trimmer.  I have been told by a garden machinery shop that neither Stihl or Honda cordless stuff is actually made by the respective brands, and isn't as good as you might expect.

Our Honda Izy is 19 years old, had a new deck a couple of years ago, and seems fine, but will get replaced by an Ego one when it does die.  It started first pull earlier this week, after its winter layoff, with E5 fuel left in it. Oil changed yesterday.
Wombat

« Reply #17 on: 23 March, 2024, 12:41:08 pm »
Thanks.  Probably don't need anything too heavy duty, as approx ~70m2 grass to mow.  Though the B&S engine is good for when the grass is longer, as I'm not normally out with a mower that frequently.

« Reply #18 on: 23 March, 2024, 03:33:30 pm »
Quick bodge.  Four holes/two cable ties.  Filed the drilled holes 'smooth' to help the heavy duty cable ties last a bit - will see how long.  May drill a hole in the centre between & below the outer holes.

lm3 by a o, on Flickr

lm2 by a o, on Flickr

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
« Reply #19 on: 24 March, 2024, 11:29:47 am »
Thanks.  Probably don't need anything too heavy duty, as approx ~70m2 grass to mow.  Though the B&S engine is good for when the grass is longer, as I'm not normally out with a mower that frequently.

That’s a similar size to mine and I manage with a basic Bosch corded mower. Couldn’t justify the costof a rechargeable, and from the curses of the neighbour over the hedge when his battery dies, the inconvenience of the cable is the lesser of the two evils.

« Reply #20 on: 25 March, 2024, 07:36:14 am »

That’s a similar size to mine and I manage with a basic Bosch corded mower. Couldn’t justify the costof a rechargeable, and from the curses of the neighbour over the hedge when his battery dies, the inconvenience of the cable is the lesser of the two evils.

Thanks yes, there are some good deals on powerful corded electric mowers & the garden is certainly doable with an e.g. 12 metre cable.