Author Topic: Help with frame related questions  (Read 294433 times)

Re: Help with frame related questions
« Reply #500 on: 16 November, 2022, 10:36:47 am »
Thanks Dave, much appreciated. Its made it as far as the west end of Newcastle so I'm happy to keep in in the North East.

« Reply #501 on: 11 May, 2023, 07:37:19 pm »

Trying very hard to not buy this... Shed any light on this Dave?

« Reply #502 on: 13 May, 2023, 12:42:57 pm »
Sorry, without a frame number and size it is just another frame. If you can get said details I can help with  date and other limited details. I might have the original order form but unlikely as most of them were lost in a flood when we moved from Wallsend
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

« Reply #503 on: 13 May, 2023, 01:20:43 pm »
Fair. I was just looking for any clue as to what it was/when it was from. I can make out Machine on the top tube and that's about it. Will update if I buy it. Cheers.

« Reply #504 on: 26 May, 2023, 11:10:02 am »
is it possible to change the steerer tube on some forks from 1 inch to 1 1/8 inch? or is that not good for the forks' longevity? Saw some 853 touring forks that I was thinking of maybe using on a bike frame. thanks

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #505 on: 26 May, 2023, 11:33:01 am »
Impossible.  You'd need a new crown with a 1 1/8" steerer socket, so you'd be rebuilding the entire fork.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #506 on: 26 May, 2023, 04:07:16 pm »
Ok thank you for telling. Learnt something new, though now I look at it, it is simple

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #507 on: 27 May, 2023, 12:18:15 pm »
There are reducing rings that allow you to use a 1" fork in a 1 1/8" head tube but there's little point; a 1 1/8" fork is stiffer where it matters.  Most 1 1/8" forks are threadless and most 1" forks are threaded, just to throw in an extra complication.

Quill stems look nice, and most of my bikes have them, but a threadless setup is technically much better and you can really feel the extra stiffness.  A quill stem is only attached at its very bottom and moves a lot during riding.  You can tell this from the way a freshly fitted quill stem pumps grease out of the headset top nut!
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #508 on: 01 June, 2023, 12:28:17 pm »
Any idea of the frame manufacturer that puts the serial number on the seat post part of the frame and the number start with NG.

The frame has a Raleigh head badge.

EDIT: It is a nottingham built 1974 raleigh. From here https://www.jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html

« Reply #509 on: 24 June, 2023, 02:53:50 pm »
Does anyone know about the Joe Waugh M Steel bicycle frame numbering?

Bought this and people have mentioned that it looks very like an M steel build bike.

The frame number starts with mf, so is it an M steel bike, is there anyway I can tell?

« Reply #510 on: 27 September, 2023, 09:28:40 pm »
Hola, me llamo David, soy de España y tengo un cuadro JOE WAUGH y busco información,
pero nunca he usado un foro y no sé cómo poner fotos El número de cuadro es MS379
Gracias!

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #511 on: 21 January, 2024, 04:24:35 pm »
Hj Dave , are you still there?  Am I right in thinking you built Pearson frames?  If so I have one, 22" 531 ST , 120 spacing at the rear, cantilevers, no upper rack mounts, no fork mounts, I'm thinking late 70's.Untitled by mark tilley, on Flickr
by mark tilley, on Flickr

I think that says 1713
The cantilever bosses appear to be cubes rather than post where they attached. One of yours?

« Reply #512 on: Today at 09:31:47 pm »
Hj Dave , are you still there?  Am I right in thinking you built Pearson frames?  If so I have one, 22" 531 ST , 120 spacing at the rear, cantilevers, no upper rack mounts, no fork mounts, I'm thinking late 70's.Untitled by mark tilley, on Flickr
by mark tilley, on Flickr

I think that says 1713
The cantilever bosses appear to be cubes rather than post where they attached. One of yours?

Hi Mark

Just found this, I sometimes get notifications about posts but in this instance not !
Alas, not one of ours. 1713 was an Audax frame built late Jan  1986 which was long before we started building for Pearsons. All the components of the frame look fairly generic for the late 70s there were a few builders turning out stuff like this around that time
It's not just hitting it with a hammer but knowing where to hit it and how hard

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #513 on: Today at 11:10:33 pm »
Ok thanks Dave, out of interest, how does 1713 relate to late Jan ‘86 ?